More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
User avatar
AnybodyListening.net
Brand New Start
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:10 pm
Contact:

More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby AnybodyListening.net » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 am

I see a bunch of people pining for Mark to "sing more." To be honest, I don't think Mark should be singing lead on Alter Bridge songs. I am in favor of point-counterpoint vocal exchanges, and even more harmonies, but I do think that Myles should be the lead vocalist on all Alter Bridge tracks.

I know "Waters Rising" got some love, but to be frank, I felt the song was pretty weak. Mark's voice is good, and its a good lower register to harmonize with Myles. But unless it is something that has dynamics like the point-counterpoint style in "Words Darker Than Their Wings," I really don't want Mark singing lead vocals on AB tracks.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Tremonti band, and I enjoy listening Mark sing lead. I just think Alter Bridge's lead vocalist should be the primary voice we hear on the songs they release, with Mark's voice supporting it, not in the lead spot.

What are folks' opinions of Mark singing lead in AB, and why do you feel that way?

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:38 am

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby mikeyd23 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 am

I'm totally with you on this bud, but I expect many others here won't be.

User avatar
AB4Lyfe
Achilles
Posts: 5224
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Location: My 'Fortress' is in Seattle, WA

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby AB4Lyfe » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm

I support Mark singing lead on the occasional AB track. If the song is good, like Waters Rising, it gives Myles a chance to catch his breath during the live act. Plus Mark sounds really good in studio, and it adds a whole new dimension to AB’s catalog if in future songs they can incorporate it well.
Image

Blackbirddd
Bought The CDs
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby Blackbirddd » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:01 pm

I think Mark must be harmonizing always on AB songs, so we don't have to listen 3 Myles at the same time and live versions doesn't feel empty

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 3492
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby Ubik » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:13 pm

It's just adding another dynamic to the band, like giving Myles a guitar was, then giving him increasing numbers of lead parts. Mark's voice can get more aggressive, has a great tone to it that contrasts Myles, and he has a real talent for writing lyrics to go with it. I'd be against putting it in just to tick a box (like, "there's the single" or "there's the ballad"), but I'm pretty sure that they'd come up with interesting stuff. Like the bridge of Peace is Broken, I love that. It adds another dimension to be creative with.

I'd also been thinking recently - Ties that Bind with Mark doing the verses would sound bloody great.
In another life
In another place...

User avatar
VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 am
Location: WV

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby VigilantSteve » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Ubik wrote:It's just adding another dynamic to the band, like giving Myles a guitar was, then giving him increasing numbers of lead parts. Mark's voice can get more aggressive, has a great tone to it that contrasts Myles, and he has a real talent for writing lyrics to go with it. I'd be against putting it in just to tick a box (like, "there's the single" or "there's the ballad"), but I'm pretty sure that they'd come up with interesting stuff. Like the bridge of Peace is Broken, I love that. It adds another dimension to be creative with.

I'd also been thinking recently - Ties that Bind with Mark doing the verses would sound bloody great.

It would probably sound awesome...but also be nearly impossible to sing while playing that verse part on guitar, I'd imagine, lol.

chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby chtimixeur » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Just harmonies for me.
He has his own band, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think he's that good of a lead singer. He's definitely trying to improve, and I salute him for his efforts, but it still sounds average to me for the most part.

nagpo
On The Rail
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby nagpo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:50 pm

no mark lead vocals. This is not Tremonti.

To be fair, he's been good on the few AB songs he's song. I just don't want this to be 50/50 mark and myles vocally.

User avatar
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON
Posts: 8167
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: TABN

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby SHEAKENBAKEN » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:27 pm

More lead vocals, co-lead vocals, and harmonies!

- Only have Mark do the harmonies under Myles, Only have Myles do the harmonies under Mark/ No self-harmonizing
- Have 2 song with sole lead vocals from Mark (no Myles feature like in Waters Rising)
- Have 4 songs with Mark and Myles trading off like in WDTTW (2 aggressive and 2 ballad)
- Have 1 song with a Mark feature like the Peace Is Broken bridge
- Myles still gets to sing sole lead vocals on like 7 songs.

Myles Only: 7
Myles and Mark 50/50: 4
Mark Only: 2
Myles ft. Mark: 1

1. Myles lead
2. Myles lead
3. Myles & Mark 50/50 (heavy)
4. Mark lead (heavy)
5. Myles lead (ballad)
6. Myles ft. Mark
7. Myles & Mark 50/50 (ballad)
8. Myles lead
9. Mark lead (ballad)
10. Myles lead
11. Myles & Mark 50/50 (heavy)
12. Myles lead
13. Myles lead
14. Myles & Mark 50/50 (epic atmospheric closer)
Image

User avatar
AB4Lyfe
Achilles
Posts: 5224
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Location: My 'Fortress' is in Seattle, WA

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby AB4Lyfe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:40 pm

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:More lead vocals, co-lead vocals, and harmonies!

- Only have Mark do the harmonies under Myles, Only have Myles do the harmonies under Mark/ No self-harmonizing
- Have 2 song with sole lead vocals from Mark (no Myles feature like in Waters Rising)
- Have 4 songs with Mark and Myles trading off like in WDTTW (2 aggressive and 2 ballad)
- Have 1 song with a Mark feature like the Peace Is Broken bridge
- Myles still gets to sing sole lead vocals on like 7 songs.

Myles Only: 7
Myles and Mark 50/50: 4
Mark Only: 2
Myles ft. Mark: 1

1. Myles lead
2. Myles lead
3. Myles & Mark 50/50 (heavy)
4. Mark lead (heavy)
5. Myles lead (ballad)
6. Myles ft. Mark
7. Myles & Mark 50/50 (ballad)
8. Myles lead
9. Mark lead (ballad)
10. Myles lead
11. Myles & Mark 50/50 (heavy)
12. Myles lead
13. Myles lead
14. Myles & Mark 50/50 (epic atmospheric closer)


So extra :lol
Image

User avatar
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON
Posts: 8167
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: TABN

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby SHEAKENBAKEN » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:45 pm

AB4Lyfe wrote:So extra :lol

I'm just being thorough :lol That would be like my perfect AB album :lol :/
Image

User avatar
Andy92
You Waste Your Time
Posts: 13026
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby Andy92 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:56 pm

I just wanna hear Myles sing all the time with Mark doing the harmonies instead of Myles overdubs. I like putting Mark out in front on occasion in songs like Before Tomorrow Comes where his backing vocals are pretty prominent, but that’s my favorite use of his voice in AB.

I love Words, never was a huge fan of Waters Rising. I’m fine with him having some prominent backing vocals from time to time, but I don’t really need to hear Mark sing any lead on every AB album.
Image

chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby chtimixeur » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:29 am

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Only have Mark do the harmonies under Myles, No self-harmonizing

A very good point.
I hope they realize it was a bad idea to have Myles self-harmonize.

MuffinMcFluffin
White Knuckled
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:05 am
Location: San Bruno, CA
Contact:

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby MuffinMcFluffin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:16 am

Hmm, it seems like Andy92 pre-plagiarized my post! He posted what I did before I even had a chance to! :lol

Andy92 wrote:I just wanna hear Myles sing all the time with Mark doing the harmonies instead of Myles overdubs. I like putting Mark out in front on occasion in songs like Before Tomorrow Comes where his backing vocals are pretty prominent, but that’s my favorite use of his voice in AB.

I love Words, never was a huge fan of Waters Rising. I’m fine with him having some prominent backing vocals from time to time, but I don’t really need to hear Mark sing any lead on every AB album.

Since Tremonti has gone solo with albums, it just seems like they're trying to front him a lot more. I don't think this band was ever about headlining individuals; just keep it as a band would be (one lead singer please) and things would be better off. Words was a nice little exception where he has some lines, but we don't need a quota of giving him a song and this and that. Just write what comes most naturally and works best. Every time Mark gets to play Waters Rising live, I kind of say: "Aww, how cute he has his own little song." Never really liked it.

As far as BTC, I like the song a lot more than others here seem to (I think many here feel it's overplayed live or just overrated), but ever since hearing how they adjusted the final chorus where Mark wah-wahs as Myles is singing, I kind of wish they would remix the song so they fall at that point and not after he sings. I wouldn't even mind the wah-wahs not being in the song up until the final chorus as well, which is a way I've heard it live.

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 3492
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby Ubik » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:38 am

Myles self-harmonising resulted in the most godly music in the band's catalogue. Hook that shit right to my veins.
In another life
In another place...

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 6614
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby gbruin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:37 am

Andy92 wrote:I just wanna hear Myles sing all the time with Mark doing the harmonies instead of Myles overdubs. I like putting Mark out in front on occasion in songs like Before Tomorrow Comes where his backing vocals are pretty prominent, but that’s my favorite use of his voice in AB.

Exactly correct.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

User avatar
Andy92
You Waste Your Time
Posts: 13026
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Postby Andy92 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:40 am

Greg backed me up. All y’all’s different opinions are void now.
Image


Return to “Alter Bridge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests