AB VI Speculation

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: AB VI Speculation

Post by anguyen92 »

I think people liked the way Trivium's Silence in the Snow sounded and Elvis was the producer for that. As for the album itself, your mileage will varied depending on the direction Trivium went with the album where there were no unclean vocals (presumably, due to the aftermath of Matt Heafy blew his voice out). I like the album though, but it was clear that The Sin and the Sentence was a huge step up for them.

Plus, Elvis did Year of the Tiger and I don't think there were any issues with the mix. Plus, I honestly found the mix for A Dying Machine to be much easier on the ears than The Last Hero. Overall, it does come down to AB caring enough to think whether their albums would sound good from their perspectives (which will differ than their audiences' perspectives for all kinds of reasons).

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Something went terribly wrong with Songbird, though.

I have two separate theories:

1) Songbird was a demo track, previously recorded with different equipment and then later slapped onto the record.

2) The intro guitar riffs sounded so much like Mother, that they said: "Gosh, we need to do something to differentiate these songs! I know, suck all of the life of the mix and quality out of Songbird. Give it all mids, no highs or lows. Perfect, now they are two different tracks!"

I am leaning toward the latter. I wish they did that to Mother, instead.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I hope he stays away from the bells.

One bell at most.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Don't let the bells end.
For all of the hope that it brings...

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

From Tremonti's Instagram:
"Good times with my pre-pro rig"
If you're wondering about the duct tape on his wah, he mentioned in a comment that it's just to keep cables from getting caught underneath it. Never thought of that before. Haha.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

jumping on the bellwagon

Post by gbruin »

For no one should the bells toll.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, I don't have a snapshot, but Michael stated on Twitter that today is the last day of pre-production and Flip begins tracking drums in a few days. He states 14 songs are going to be recorded and that Mark is super excited. Yep, I am pumped.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Once again, this goes way too fast. They should work together in a room on those songs for a few months, not a couple of weeks.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

chtimixeur wrote:Once again, this goes way too fast. They should work together in a room on those songs for a few months, not a couple of weeks.
I don't know, just because they haven't necessarily been in the same room working on the songs for an extended period of time doesn't mean that they haven't spent a lot of time on the songs. That's just not how they do things, and it wouldn't guarantee that the songs would turn out any better or worse if they did do it that way.

Also, just a few minutes ago per Michael Tremonti:
"They come to the studio well prepared and they have been writing this album for over two years."

https://twitter.com/TremontiMichael/sta ... 8172685314

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

You never know. Maybe they might hit lightning in a bottle creating stuff in a few weeks than they would in months. I know the track record doesn't look that great when it comes to AB, but maybe, until after we actually hear the finished product and it doesn't sound like greatness, then we can go ahead and say that it's rushed or whatever. Just my two cents, no need to @ me.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It worked on Fortress and One Day Remains. It's not ideal and it worked against them on TLH, but that's just one album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

VigilantSteve wrote: I don't know, just because they haven't necessarily been in the same room working on the songs for an extended period of time doesn't mean that they haven't spent a lot of time on the songs. That's just not how they do things, and it wouldn't guarantee that the songs would turn out any better or worse if they did do it that way.
Blackbird became a great song, because they had a lot of free time to jam in a room together in 2006 and 2007. The talked a lot about it during their interviews back in the day.

I agree that overthinking and rewriting songs that seemed good in the first place can be a negative thing for a lot of bands, but when it comes to Alter Bridge, I think they just don't spend enough time together writing songs when they reunite after a long break.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Two weeks of pre-pro...ok.

Sure, writing the album for two years. But you could say Fortress was written in 4 years because Myles pulled the “Calm the Fire” riff from his original solo project.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I think Mark and Myles sit on those songs for a longer while. They then bring them to the rehearsal space, Flip and Brian learn their parts, little adjustments are made and the record is done.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

chtimixeur wrote:@anguyen92: you should focus on the drums, and especially the cymbals. They really sound awful, and I can't understand why Elvis is still unable to record them properly after so many years and albums.
I was just listening to Dust in my car today and the cymbals (especially hihats) were annoying. I'm debating tracking down a FLAC copy to see if it's any clearer. It sounds like a low quality YouTube rip.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Kreuger wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:@anguyen92: you should focus on the drums, and especially the cymbals. They really sound awful, and I can't understand why Elvis is still unable to record them properly after so many years and albums.
I was just listening to Dust in my car today and the cymbals (especially hihats) were annoying. I'm debating tracking down a FLAC copy to see if it's any clearer. It sounds like a low quality YouTube rip.
Still better than the sluggish and muddy Cauterize i suppose.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Alice In Chains wrote and recorded Jar of Flies in one week. If you can capture lightning in a bottle then you don’t have to second guess your songs for multiple weeks.

As Timo said, it’s worked in the past. TLH wasn’t as good, but I don’t think the recording session time is to blame for that.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Was hoping for a "denser" album - fewer but higher quality and/or longer songs. Every time they do 13 or more songs there's always one or two filler songs. But oh well, super exciting that they're done writing already!!!!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

That pre-pro time did seem awfully quick but we know those guys have been writing and sharing ideas for months if not a year or more already, so they obviously had most of the work already done before they got together in the studio. I've been among those wondering if/how things would sound if they'd spend more time just jamming and writing together as a whole before recording, but this is their formula and it has worked well before. Even on TLH, I think there were more concerns about the mixing/post-production rather than the actual songwriting and playing. Excited to hear what the next stages bring!! :rockon
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Something went terribly wrong with Songbird, though.

I have two separate theories:

1) Songbird was a demo track, previously recorded with different equipment and then later slapped onto the record.

2) The intro guitar riffs sounded so much like Mother, that they said: "Gosh, we need to do something to differentiate these songs! I know, suck all of the life of the mix and quality out of Songbird. Give it all mids, no highs or lows. Perfect, now they are two different tracks!"

I am leaning toward the latter. I wish they did that to Mother, instead.

Songbird is an absolute gem .....heresy