AB VI Speculation

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: AB VI Speculation

Post by Timotheus »

All those bands were poppy from the start. Nothing wrong with trying to sound like a modern band. I'd rather have a fresh album from Alter Bridge than another 2000's throwback.

Change is always gonna be subtle with Alter Bridge anyway, so we got nothing to worry about.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Timotheus wrote:All those bands were poppy from the start. Nothing wrong with trying to sound like a modern band. I'd rather have a fresh album from Alter Bridge than another 2000's throwback.

Change is always gonna be subtle with Alter Bridge anyway, so we got nothing to worry about.
I guess that's where we differ. I'd rather have a "2000's throwback." It's my favorite kind of music. There are still a lot of songs left unexplored in that genre. That's what got me to fall in love with AB in the first place.

I don't mind some remnants of prog. rock here and there as well, but modern music for me has been terrible. Everything sounds the same now. I don't mean every song sounds the same, but every genre playing music that is trending popularly somehow bleeds into "pop." Rock, country, jazz... whatever it may be.

I'd rather have another clone of TLH than get today's stuff, and that's saying a lot.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

After listening to Sirus XM Turbo (radio station that focuses on late 90s and 00s hard rock) on a regular basis, while it's cool to relisten to the stuff that got me into music (and the majority of the stuff that I found when WWE plugs it at the time), it's best for AB to not go back to that post-grunge sound. You hear bands like Saliva, Trapt, Puddle of Mudd on that station and you go, those bands were big in the 00s, what happened to them now?

On the other hand, you have AB, always in the background when it comes to mainstream rock music, and they've been slowly (horrifying slowly) getting traction in the states and them shifting their sound from ODR to AB III to the now has been to their benefit from a creative standpoint and from a business standpoint.

My point is AB will find a way to do the things they are known for and interpret in a way that can keep things interesting for themselves and, hopefully, the fans are still there along for the ride. They are not going to pull a Shinedown and lose what made them appealing to me in the first place (I do note how hypocritical this comment is for me in light of me buying a ticket for their show in support of ATTENTION ATTENTION, but it's close and costs $25. You take what you can.).

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Considering that they've always said something to the degree that they are trying to evolve a bit with each new album, I take Mark's comment to mean pretty much the same thing. They're consciously trying to not redo TLH, but the apple that will be AB IV is never going to fall far from the Alter Bridge tree (how's that for some awful metaphors?). Every album has been unique enough that you can tell right where each song came from, but it's still Alter Bridge and no one else. Besides, we will undoubtedly still have Elvis to cram it all together in the end.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Or maybe Mark took the Hello Kitty guitar ditty far more seriously than we all thought.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

I don’t know how to take Mark’s comment either. Considering he just released Dying Machine and Myles released Year of the Tiger they’ve used up a lot of ideas between the two projects so they’ll be writing more new ideas which I think is good. I know they put aside different ideas for different projects and stockpile them but should still see more new stuff put together if they’re going a new direction.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

anguyen92 wrote:They are not going to pull a Shinedown and lose what made them appealing to me in the first place (I do note how hypocritical this comment is for me in light of me buying a ticket for their show in support of ATTENTION ATTENTION, but it's close and costs $25. You take what you can.).
Shinedown was EXACTLY what I had in mind when I expressed my concern :lol

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

WaywardOne wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:They are not going to pull a Shinedown and lose what made them appealing to me in the first place (I do note how hypocritical this comment is for me in light of me buying a ticket for their show in support of ATTENTION ATTENTION, but it's close and costs $25. You take what you can.).
Shinedown was EXACTLY what I had in mind when I expressed my concern :lol
The thing is if you compare Shinedown's first two albums to AB's first two albums, stylistically, those albums were not all that different in terms of song and structure. It's the albums in the 2010s where both bands were going in opposite directions than when they started. Shinedown wanted to go streamline their stuff to the masses and adapt to where mainstream rock radio is going, AB wants to go more heavier, moodier, more intricate. I mean compare Threat to Survival and ATTENTION ATTENTION to Fortress and The Last Hero. Quite a big gap in styles compared to say Leave a Whisper and One Day Remains where both of those albums had that 00s post-grunge vibe to it (which I do like at the time and still can listen to those albums now, but I can understand if people don't want both bands to revisit 2003-2004 in 2019).

The point is when Mark says something like we want to change things up and not make the same album twice, I'm fairly confident that they will not go the route of Shinedown. I'm also fairly confident they will not go the route of folk and country since Myles had elements of that in Year of the Tiger and wouldn't want to repeat that for AB.

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

My gut feeling tells me that a new direction could be more down the prog road than anything else and I’d be ok with that. Maybe some long(ish) songs that aren’t your typical dark opus they do but some that have some atypical song structure and chord progressions. Not sure why I feel that way but it really do be like that sometimes.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

I wish they’d do like another dark AB3 album.

I don’t dig the long frilly stuff ass of late.

Stevieg1993
Brand New Start

Post by Stevieg1993 »

I'd compare Alter Bridge to more Avenged Sevenfold these days than Shinedown. Shinedown keep with the 4 minute mainstream rock formula as AlterBridge and Avenged head more into a Prog Metal/heavy Metal route.

I agree that I think we'll have more songs with longer Structures and I'm confident we're going have some strings. I've said previously on here that I don't want a last hero style production. Want a balance of Heavy, Radio Friendly songs, progressive and slower tones in the album. I do think sometimes AlterBridge can go a little cheesy with the ballads. I personally don't think it's their strongest point. Would also like a good 6 minute Nightwish esque style with the orchestra in a song.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Stevieg1993 wrote:I'd compare Alter Bridge to more Avenged Sevenfold these days than Shinedown. Shinedown keep with the 4 minute mainstream rock formula as AlterBridge and Avenged head more into a Prog Metal/heavy Metal route.

I agree that I think we'll have more songs with longer Structures and I'm confident we're going have some strings. I've said previously on here that I don't want a last hero style production. Want a balance of Heavy, Radio Friendly songs, progressive and slower tones in the album. I do think sometimes AlterBridge can go a little cheesy with the ballads. I personally don't think it's their strongest point. Would also like a good 6 minute Nightwish esque style with the orchestra in a song.
The only problem I have with the Nightwish-esque styled song is they won’t want to play it live. They’ve said before they don’t like using playback, and I doubt they could get an Orchestra to tour with them for one song.

I’d love to hear a song like that from them, 100%. But I don’t think having a prominent orchestra in their songs is realistic.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
Stevieg1993 wrote:I'd compare Alter Bridge to more Avenged Sevenfold these days than Shinedown. Shinedown keep with the 4 minute mainstream rock formula as AlterBridge and Avenged head more into a Prog Metal/heavy Metal route.

The only problem I have with the Nightwish-esque styled song is they won’t want to play it live. They’ve said before they don’t like using playback, and I doubt they could get an Orchestra to tour with them for one song.

I’d love to hear a song like that from them, 100%. But I don’t think having a prominent orchestra in their songs is realistic.
If worst comes to worst, if they really want any form of orchestration, they can just get Elvis to program in some strings arrangements. I thought it worked really well in the bridge in Waters Rising and why it was a natural fit in the Royal Albert Hall shows.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Im assuming im the only one here who actually think The Last Hero was their best work, seriously loved every song. I do agree some songs had just a tad to much layering i would have changed some overdubbed Myles vocals for Mark harmonies, not sure why they have gone away from that as Mark has gotten better ? But to me The Last Hero had some of their best tracks ever. I mean Cradle To The Grave,This Side Of Fate,Island Of Fools and The Last Hero are a better compilation of songs most bands have in their career. I even love the supposed fillers. To me a good song is a good song period !

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

LosingPatience wrote:Im assuming im the only one here who actually think The Last Hero was their best work, seriously loved every song. I do agree some songs had just a tad to much layering i would have changed some overdubbed Myles vocals for Mark harmonies, not sure why they have gone away from that as Mark has gotten better ? But to me The Last Hero had some of their best tracks ever. I mean Cradle To The Grave,This Side Of Fate,Island Of Fools and The Last Hero are a better compilation of songs most bands have in their career. I even love the supposed fillers. To me a good song is a good song period !
It didn't top Fortress for me (not sure anything will), but I'm one of the few who thought it was basically on par with Blackbird and ABIII before it. All those albums had astonishing high points with a few lows and some middling. Agree entirely on those four tracks though, absolute belters.
For all of the hope that it brings...

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Ubik wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:Im assuming im the only one here who actually think The Last Hero was their best work, seriously loved every song. I do agree some songs had just a tad to much layering i would have changed some overdubbed Myles vocals for Mark harmonies, not sure why they have gone away from that as Mark has gotten better ? But to me The Last Hero had some of their best tracks ever. I mean Cradle To The Grave,This Side Of Fate,Island Of Fools and The Last Hero are a better compilation of songs most bands have in their career. I even love the supposed fillers. To me a good song is a good song period !
It didn't top Fortress for me (not sure anything will), but I'm one of the few who thought it was basically on par with Blackbird and ABIII before it. All those albums had astonishing high points with a few lows and some middling. Agree entirely on those four tracks though, absolute belters.

Fortress is brilliant. I think the biggest difference production wise between Fortress and TLH is TLH has a bit more going on which i guess its why some call it a wall of sound. I get the argument and its fair, but to me the guitar tone, the song structure [ ive heard some call it boring ] which i cant agree with completely is some of their best work. Myles plays quite a few guitar solo's on TLH with his in This Side Of Fate a def fav Mark's solo in Cradle is also brilliant.

I think if there's one wish i had and i think as i read some comments here and on the Mayfield Four thread, is for some more breathing room in the song structure.Maybe more bass lines, drum fills , bluesy licks

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

WaywardOne wrote:Such mixed feelings about this. I definitely think they would be wise to change things up a little bit at this point in their career, but I pray its a good change and not something that we end up hating (i.e. something poppy or artificial). My hope is that Myles experice making a more stripped down, less produced album (Year of the Tiger) inspires them to do not do as much layering and overproduction this around.
Hope you're right on this Wayward One.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

So Mark is done with the Tremonti tour, let the pre-production commence!

welshsteve
Brand New Start

Post by welshsteve »

LosingPatience wrote:
Ubik wrote:

Fortress is brilliant. I think the biggest difference production wise between Fortress and TLH is TLH has a bit more going on which i guess its why some call it a wall of sound. I get the argument and its fair, but to me the guitar tone, the song structure [ ive heard some call it boring ] which i cant agree with completely is some of their best work. Myles plays quite a few guitar solo's on TLH with his in This Side Of Fate a def fav Mark's solo in Cradle is also brilliant.

I think if there's one wish i had and i think as i read some comments here and on the Mayfield Four thread, is for some more breathing room in the song structure.Maybe more bass lines, drum fills , bluesy licks
Fortress for me is their best work. Blackbird and ABIII are great, but Fortress is a monster of a record from start to finish for me.
Thanks

Steve

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I can't choose between Fortress and Blackbird. Both albums are complete and total masterpieces from top to bottom.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.