AB VI Speculation

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: AB VI Speculation

Post by Mr. Slash »

TenaciousBe wrote:I just want Myles to say "fuck" more. On the record. Let's get one of those cool "parental advisory" boxes on the front!
Just like Tremonti does during his shows? Always feels kinda awkward.

PascalM
Brand New Start

Post by PascalM »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Ubik wrote:Which tracks are those?
I'm obviously being facetious. The album was a wall of noise though. Layers upon layers of instruments and vocals, hardly a breath to be had. There was no reason for You Will Be Remembered to double-time its riffs during the verses and up the treble on the notes. It was grating.

When I finish hearing that album and Breathe starts up, I wonder what happened to their arrangements. They are overly complex/complicated for their own good. I undoubtedly love some of the songs on the album and acknowledge their gifts as musicians, but there are times when members can have moments, and this album loses that idea completely. It's not just about being the fastest or hitting the most notes, and they have shown us that in the past. I'd like to see that return.
Perfectly said. Couldn't agree more. TLH is just too much, especially when listening to the record with headphones. Stimulates my tinnitus even more.

To be honest, I really hope they are going for a new producer this time. Some fresh blood. Someone that doesn't overproduce the record, someone that keeps the layers that add something, someone that keeps the volumes natural and last but not least someone that makes sure there is not a wall of sound the entire record...

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Yeah, there won’t be a new producer. No chance.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

But they aren't asking us

Post by gbruin »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Yeah, there won’t be a new producer. No chance.
Agreed. Even though most of us think it would do them good.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Stevieg1993
Brand New Start

Post by Stevieg1993 »

Which producers would you be looking at if it was your choice?

Bob Rock
Butch Vig
Rick Rubin ( please god no)
Terry Date

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Kevin Shirley or Zeuss. Maybe Neil Kernon.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Hopefully they can get the guy that did that "Fortress" album, sounded pretty neat.
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I mean in the event that AB does not want to work with Elvis, anymore, I think a guy like Nick Raskulinecz wouldn't be the worst guy to gel well with AB. He's worked with a lot of various bands from Foo Fighters, Stone Sour, Evanescence, Rush, Alice in Chains, Trivium, Halestorm, etc.

Just not Rick Rubin and, especially, not Howard Benson. Just not that kind of producer where it resulted in AB not being happy about how the album is and the album turns out to be a wash from a creative perspective and they were not happy about making it the way they intended it to be.

That stated, for better or for worst, I cannot see the AB camp not working with Elvis. Mark and Myles looks to be guys that highly values long-lasting partnerships above everything else when it comes to stuff like album cover designs, management, producing, etc.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

anguyen92 wrote:I mean in the event that AB does not want to work with Elvis, anymore, I think a guy like Nick Raskulinecz wouldn't be the worst guy to gel well with AB. He's worked with a lot of various bands from Foo Fighters, Stone Sour, Evanescence, Rush, Alice in Chains, Trivium, Halestorm, etc.

Just not Rick Rubin and, especially, not Howard Benson. Just not that kind of producer where it resulted in AB not being happy about how the album is and the album turns out to be a wash from a creative perspective and they were not happy about making it the way they intended it to be.

That stated, for better or for worst, I cannot see the AB band not working with Elvis. Mark and Myles looks to be guys that highly values long-lasting partnerships above everything else when it comes to stuff like album cover designs, management, producing, etc.
Dunno Kev, think they've been through almost as many management teams as they have labels over the years.

Although I think you're onto something. Given the shite they've had to put up with from elsewhere, we probably do under-appreciate the worth that Elvis has provided as a stable presence and voice outside the band itself amongst the chaos. Trust is hard to come by in the music biz and I don't blame them for a second for sticking with a guy they've managed to make that connection with.

Luckily I'm tone deaf so don't notice all this stuff that winds people up. You Will Be Remembered is one of my least favourite tracks they've ever put out, but luckily that album also has 4 AB Hall-of-Famers as well.
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

True, but I think them (and by them, I mean AB, Tremonti, Myles along with Sevendust, whose friends with AB, and has their fair share of issues from the business end of the music industry) being all in the same management team (Janus Music Management headed by Tim Tournier, a friend of theirs), I think this partnership is going to last for a good while.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

A recent interview from Mark about the typical questions regarding A Dying Machine album. He stated that AB will be in the studio around late March and April to get AB VI done and that once Mark finish tracking his parts, Tremonti will be doing the festival run (already announced for Welcome to Rockville in May) in the states and Europe. He states the next AB tour will be in Europe in November of next year. I think probably their next North America tour will be in early 2020 (sadly, too long of a wait from now) around the months they did their first US tour of the Last Hero album in 2017. Doesn't look like they will be booked to do anything in the states in Summer 2019 (like their own tour or an opening slot for a summer North America amphitheater tour).

Hopefully, the album is out by then and it is everything they wanted it to be and something the fans can get excited. Pretty small margin of time to record for both Mark and Myles. Only less than 1.5 months to record their parts because once May comes, Tremonti will do doing the festivals in the states and in Europe and Myles will be touring with Slash in South America and Europe.

Hopefully, they already have great fleshed out song ideas to fill an album right now and all they need to do is just record.

Edit: On another note, I'm really hoping for Tremonti to come to LA at some point in early 2019. It doesn't matter what venue or if they are support or headlining, I just want to see them in LA.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Ready for this album already.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

This has been on my mind a bit lately. Alter Bridge has been my favorite band for, what, almost 15 years now? The fandom, the music, and the people I've met through this band have pretty much completely shaped my life from mid-20s to now knocking on 40 next year. There are other bands I'm into, but nothing like Alter Bridge.

The part that scares me is, I can't say I was THAT into The Last Hero. On paper, I loved it -- I'm a fan of the politically charged lyrics, I'm a fan of where they went with the music and how they present it, but... I don't know, something just didn't resonate when I listen to it. Maybe I need to give it a new listen with fresh ears, and I plan to do that soon, but still. I felt Fortress was an absolute masterpiece. ABIII had its moments, but overall is still incredibly enjoyable. Blackbird might be my favorite album of all time. And ODR is still very special, even if it's a little bit of an outlier in terms of true "AB" records since Myles didn't really have as much writing input.

I worry that the band is going to get away from me. I worry that it might be another TLH and not really grab my soul the way the other records did. I worry that I'm getting older and I just generally don't connect with the hard rock scene like I did 10 years ago.

Or maybe they'll come out with another Blackbird or Fortress and knock me on my ass.

The thing that gives me hope is seeing how well Myles and Mark each pulled off their respective solo efforts this year. Myles' record was incredible, and generally got away from the hard rock sound to go on this sonic journey that many of us wouldn't normally go on without Myles attached to it. And Tremonti's album, holy shit, I put it right up on that god-tier level with Blackbird and Fortress. It makes me wonder if they'll each bring touches of those albums to the writing for AB6, or if it just means they "got that out of their system" and they'll come back to plug ideas into the AB formula and pop off another TLH. I don't want them to change what AB is, but I don't want the sound to get stale, you know? Just... evolve. Roll with the times. Expand. Grow. Bring some new touches and sounds and flavors to the AB party.

Whatever it is they do, I'll be there to listen.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

TenaciousBe wrote:I worry that the band is going to get away from me. I worry that it might be another TLH and not really grab my soul the way the other records did. I worry that I'm getting older and I just generally don't connect with the hard rock scene like I did 10 years ago.
My best advice (if you're interested in advice) would be to start exploring other genres and music artists outside of your comfort zone. I feel the same way about The Last Hero, and finding other music that lights that spark for me is what keeps me going. AB will always be there to go back to if I need to hear something from their first 4 albums, which were all fantastic to my ears, but I've also found things very much outside of the hard rock realm that I connect with now. This probably sounds cliche, but music's about the journey. We don't have to follow a set "path" and stay on the hard rock road just because that's what we've done before.

This is all coming from an AB fan who listens to way too much Carly Rae Jepsen, so take it with a grain of salt. :lol

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:I worry that the band is going to get away from me. I worry that it might be another TLH and not really grab my soul the way the other records did. I worry that I'm getting older and I just generally don't connect with the hard rock scene like I did 10 years ago.
My best advice (if you're interested in advice) would be to start exploring other genres and music artists outside of your comfort zone. I feel the same way about The Last Hero, and finding other music that lights that spark for me is what keeps me going. AB will always be there to go back to if I need to hear something from their first 4 albums, which were all fantastic to my ears, but I've also found things very much outside of the hard rock realm that I connect with now. This probably sounds cliche, but music's about the journey. We don't have to follow a set "path" and stay on the hard rock road just because that's what we've done before.

This is all coming from an AB fan who listens to way too much Carly Rae Jepsen, so take it with a grain of salt. :lol
You know, that's a great point. There are days I feel like Hard Rock had become pretty monotonous and repetitive at times. I feel it lacks an exciting journey to embark on and it lacks all of us here being along for the ride excited for the next best thing to come along. Don't know why I feel that way, but it could be due to burnout for me. I still will defend modern hard rock/active rock radio to the core for the most part, but I need to know what else is out there that I can enjoy (you would not hear me say that sort of comment, six years ago). Discovering other stuff does help a lot so that when a new Alter Bridge album is going to be around the corner, it helps us get more excited for it.

Btw, what would be a great album to listen to from Carly Rae Jepsen? I've been meaning to listen to one of her albums after her collab with Owl City (which is something that I have been listening to way too much in the interim, which is a good thing honestly) in the song, Good Time.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm not worried about it. Mark and Myles both put out great music this year, individually. They still have it. Just hoping for a better collab this time around.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Apart from avoiding current events, I don't really care what they do. I would just prefer a longer collaborative process.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I hope they stick to current events. But in their normal way, I hope they don't use proper nouns. Find a way to make meaningful, thought provoking lyrics without using names or parties. For instance, I actually thought the THEME of TLH was great. I just didn't like a lot of the musical content in general. It had a lot more potential than I think it played out.

But I think it's important. I only speak for myself, but I value their opinion. I'd like to hear it and either agree or respectfully disagree. But I still think it's important to do it regardless. Whether people like it or not, there are going to be elements of current events in their lyrics any way.

Waters Rising is such a great song with such great lyrics, but it didn't really fit the theme of the rest of the album. But who cares? Can you imagine someone getting worked up about Waters Rising simply because they disagree with it? Like "All of your hard work, your music, your song writing, your vocals, and your production mean NOTHING to me because I don't believe in it!"

Just feels like a sad way to live in a way. So I hope they spend a little bit of time discussing it (they will do it inevitably). I love it when they input their own opinions into songs. You get more passion out of it.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

AB23 wrote:I hope they stick to current events. But in their normal way, I hope they don't use proper nouns. Find a way to make meaningful, thought provoking lyrics without using names or parties. For instance, I actually thought the THEME of TLH was great. I just didn't like a lot of the musical content in general. It had a lot more potential than I think it played out.

But I think it's important. I only speak for myself, but I value their opinion. I'd like to hear it and either agree or respectfully disagree. But I still think it's important to do it regardless. Whether people like it or not, there are going to be elements of current events in their lyrics any way.

Waters Rising is such a great song with such great lyrics, but it didn't really fit the theme of the rest of the album. But who cares? Can you imagine someone getting worked up about Waters Rising simply because they disagree with it? Like "All of your hard work, your music, your song writing, your vocals, and your production mean NOTHING to me because I don't believe in it!"

Just feels like a sad way to live in a way. So I hope they spend a little bit of time discussing it (they will do it inevitably). I love it when they input their own opinions into songs. You get more passion out of it.
Yeah, I'd rather they wrote about stuff I can't relate to but they at least have passion about, rather than going down a safe route and writing about nothing in particular. I really think the world could do with more artists saying what they think rather than making generic music so it doesn't hurt sales.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Jaded Rescue wrote:

I've definitely done that. I used to have a modern rock station that came from the nearest "big" town, so that's what I listened to all night every night at work. A few years ago, they changed format to "superhits" (80's, 90's, generic easy listening stuff) so I sort of lost my connection to what was happening in the rock world beyond the AB/Tremontiverse and Foo Fighters who I'd follow to the ends of the earth. There is another rock station, but I'm just far enough away from it that it sometimes comes in in my car, and almost never on radios at work, unless I stream it, but I also move around the plant a lot more than I did back then... aw hell, I'm ramblin again. Point being, I don't really listen to a lot of current rock anymore, but I've found some other genres and bands to follow. Walk The Moon is fantastic. Maroon 5 is kinda formulaic but they still put out some decent tunes. I don't listen to a lot of folk music, but there is a folk-ey band locally that I'm friends with that, I swear, really scratch me right where I itch (https://whalenandthewillows.bandcamp.com/).

The good news is, I busted out TLH the other day, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I really do like it. Maybe the wall of sound just turns me off, but the songs are still fantastic, and I LOVE the sense of angst and anger in the first few songs. Maybe I just needed a little time away.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.