Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Re: Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

Post by MrsPog »

Finally got to watch this in full at the weekend. I agree that the orchestra could have been louder in the mix but overall it was thoroughly enjoyed by me, my husband and our two dogs. Nice drum sound through our TV sound system and generally well filmed.
Really captured the essence of these special nights too. What a band!

Loved the edit too using interviews and behind the scenes footage, a different approach we liked.

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

riemslag1 wrote:Sending over my very old hifi-set might turn out to be too expensive
I hope you have more than one set - more than half the users apparently need one... and yet, we're the crazy ones :lol

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

You said it

welshsteve
Brand New Start

Post by welshsteve »

If you strip back everything that's been said here about sound systems etc, the hard fact remains that 90%+ of people are not audio experts.
Heck I can't even get my TV to output audio correctly. It defaults to mono, only outputting 1 of the 2 stereo channels until I use the remote to switch it to stereo and there appears to be no setting to change this default on my TV. I bought a 100Watt soundbar when I got the TV, but the volume on it was quieter than the TV speakers, so wasn't setup properly, but it was meant to be a plug and play job. Clearly not.
The settings on a TV are horrendously over complicated, and with no proper manuals supplied these days you are stuck asking questions about it online and being spoken to like a child because you simply don't know.
I would love to hear this bluray with a full proper sound, but am probably stuck with my 3mm jack speakers for now.
Thanks

Steve

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Fun fact, everyone.

This DVD sold around 4,300 copies in the first week and charted #27 in the Billboard 200 according to this article.

https://www.metalinsider.net/columns/me ... was-clutch

Not only that, they made it to #1 in the Classical albums chart and was #1 on that chart for two weeks. Probably the only time they will hit #1 on any charts Billboard-related overtaking stuff like Evanescence's Synthesis compilation album (which has been in that chart for about a year) and Lindsey Stirling's Warmer In The Winter Christmas album (also been in that chart for a while). I'll take any small victory whenever it comes this band's way, baby.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/classi ... 2018-09-22

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

anguyen92 wrote:Fun fact, everyone.

This DVD sold around 4,300 copies in the first week and charted #27 in the Billboard 200 according to this article.
This sounds so ridiculously low. But if 4,3 k copies are enough to get a decent chart position, I'm cool with that.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Mr. Slash wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:Fun fact, everyone.

This sounds so ridiculously low. But if 4,3 k copies are enough to get a decent chart position, I'm cool with that.
This is why bands have to tour so much and largely why you don't see AB taking breaks to spend a large amount of time in the studio. Most people simply don't buy live or studio albums or DVDs anymore... It's almost all streaming.

mirko.volpon
Bought The CDs

Post by mirko.volpon »

Best dvd of the year

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, AB's twitter just sent a tweet with this video. Here's Words Darker Than their Wings with only just the orchestra.

Fortress1988
Brand New Start

Post by Fortress1988 »

Holy shit !! If only they can post all songs orchestra will be incredibe !!!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

This is so ridiculously good, now I am even more annoyed by the shitty mix of the BluRay.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Mr. Slash wrote:This is so ridiculously good, now I am even more annoyed by the shitty mix of the BluRay.
^

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Someone who’s decent with Audacity should mix that overtop the studio version.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Andy92 wrote:Someone who’s decent with Audacity should mix that overtop the studio version.
Tempo is not perfectly aligned. Studio version keeps a constant BPM and this has several alterations. It's definitely doable but is not just a one-and-done mapping.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Andy92 wrote:Someone who’s decent with Audacity should mix that overtop the studio version.
Tempo is not perfectly aligned. Studio version keeps a constant BPM and this has several alterations. It's definitely doable but is not just a one-and-done mapping.
I wondered about that. Would definitely take a lot more work since you’d have to slightly slow down/speed up certain parts. Sounds like a pain lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, AB's twitter just sent a tweet with this video. Here's Words Darker Than their Wings with only just the orchestra.

WOW! Amazing. Couldn't hear all of that going on on the night!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Yeah, that's really beautiful.

Wonder what Simon Dobson and Parallax would have to do in order to release an orchestra-only recording of the event. I'm sure labels and lawyers and publishing rights would get in the way and screw up something so potentially amazing, but I'd love to be able to hear that score on its own.

On the good side, I'm YT'ing more of Dobson's and Parallax's work. They really are incredible musicians.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Can't they just re-release the BluRay with fixed audio? Man, I want to hear the orchestra so badly.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, AB's twitter just sent a tweet with this video. Here's Words Darker Than their Wings with only just the orchestra.

that's amazing. I wish the entirety of the record was like this.

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

Watched it last night, very good. The band and all involved should be proud.

Myles sounded great. Before I watched with headphones, I couldn't hear Brian; I need the low end. I agree that the orchestra was not loud enough. I liked having the footage between songs as kind of a breather for this epic and emotional musical journey.

The set:

"Before Tomorrow Comes" - love
"The Writing on the Wall" - love that they included this, one of my favorites from TLH
"Cry of Achilles" - epic
"In Loving Memory" - great
"Fortress" - epic again
"Ties That Bind" - awesome
"The Other Side" - new appreciation for it after that performance
"Brand New Start" - goosebumps
Very happy that "The End is Here," WDTTW, and "Lover" were included
"Wonderful Life"/"Watch Over You" - truly touching
"Broken Wings" - loved it even more with the orchestra
"Blackbird" - perfection, everything it needed to be

I was glad to see no "Rise Today" or "Metalingus," but, it was cool to hear fans singing at the end.

The only songs I didn't like were Ghosts and "Waters Rising," because I don't like either song or Mark singing lead, not a huge fan of his voice, exceptions being WDTTW or his harmonies.
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH