Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
richardsim7
Brand New Start

Re: Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

Post by richardsim7 »

Before and after :)

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Damn, good stuff man!

I don't suppose you might be a good sport and be able to find a way to upload and share that file with others if possible? I realize it is likely gigabytes of data.

Unless... these were literally just super simple edits. Did you only change levels of each channel? What dB do you listen to the concert at, and did you consider just lowering the levels of others and crank up the volume on the receiver?

richardsim7
Brand New Start

Post by richardsim7 »

Well that's where legality comes creeping in, but it's super simple to do yourself :)

I ripped the Blu-Ray to mkv using MakeMKV
Converted the DTS-HD MA track to FLAC using eac3to
Imported that FLAC file to Audacity
Each channel is imported as their own track. L, R, C, LFE, Surr L, Surr R
Highlight all the tracks, go to effect > equalisation and just make a curve like that, then export the file, and remux it with the mkv using mkvtoolnixGUI

My normal listening level is -10 on my AVR, and for this concert I found myself bumping that up to -7 most of the time.
I'm not changing the volume of the audio, just bringing the low-end back to life ;)

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

I watched the prereleased songs on the BluRay on 5.1 surround through a pretty old sound system, then compared to the vids uploaded through the official AB account. The difference is night and day. I think the mix on the BluRay is excellent, with the exception of Mark's guitar being too quiet. But I understand why they did that, because his tone was way too muddy.

The CD mix on the other hand, at least in my car, does not sound very well balanced.

Now, the highlight of this show to me? Aside from the orchestra, set list, and novelty? Brian fucking Marshall. His bass was high enough in the mix that I picked out a lot of very cool bass fills he was throwing in randomly. Dude is underrated.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

richardsim7 wrote:Well that's where legality comes creeping in, but it's super simple to do yourself :)

Highlight all the tracks, go to effect > equalisation and just make a curve like that, then export the file, and remux it with the mkv using mkvtoolnixGUI

My normal listening level is -10 on my AVR, and for this concert I found myself bumping that up to -7 most of the time.
I'm not changing the volume of the audio, just bringing the low-end back to life ;)
I know how to rip it, I do this all of the time. I was just asking what you adjusted in Audacity.

The bold was all I was curious about. Thanks.

richardsim7
Brand New Start

Post by richardsim7 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
richardsim7 wrote:Well that's where legality comes creeping in, but it's super simple to do yourself :)

I know how to rip it, I do this all of the time. I was just asking what you adjusted in Audacity.

The bold was all I was curious about. Thanks.
It was more for the benefit of everyone else, but yeah, just the EQ effect is all I did, and boosted the LFE track 6dB (there's a couple of oddly loud bass parts towards the end of End Is Here and the drum fill part in WDTTW but reducing the LFE boost didn't seem to help, oh well)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right. Finished watching the DVD. Where do I want to start? I thought it was going to be very impossible for them to top Live From Amsterdam. I had this thought in a post I made about it.
Overall, I think it is safe to say that their first live DVD/album was a good hit for them that cements their reputation as a solid top-notch band for those that have heard of Alter Bridge. Good setlist for its time, had a great and full crowd in Amsterdam, and the band was playing at its peak. Sadly, this show was a big indicator that them being a full-time band was coming to an end as afterwards, Creed reunited and Myles was starting to work with Slash. However, this DVD represented the great magic that is Alter Bridge at a prime.
My main thought was that show was basically an era ago and I was thinking, " Is the best still to come for them?" Honestly, turns out, after watching the Royal Albert Hall DVD, yes. The best was still to come. This DVD is a massive triumph for them. There was so many good moments that it take me an entire day of typing why I love this DVD. First off, the song selections is so damn amazing. Think about it. There would never ever be a show again that will have Words Darker Than Their Wings, Fortress, The Last Hero, This Side of Fate, and The End is Here all in one set.

For me, in terms of how the orchestra sounded, I thought they sounded good and visible enough. Since I didn't have a DVD player (threw it out after my family moved since we weren't watching DVDs all that much), I pretty much connected my laptop to my TV to play it and played it in the 5.1 surround sound. At the start of the sets, I actually thought they overpowered the band for a few moments, but as the show continues on, they timed their parts just at the right moments where the songs needed it and didn't overpower the band. I don't think the orchestra sounded faint at all during the songs. They just add subtle, but noticeable, nods to these songs. I do agree that they do pause throughout the majority of Mark's solos.

Another good of the orchestra is that they had really good arrangements during the outros and I do agree they really shined at songs with only one guitar on it (The End Is Here, Wonderful Life/Watch Over You, In Loving Memory, Broken Wings). I did note that people really praised the arrangements for Ghost of Days Gone by during show day, and they were actually right. Orchestra really sounded haunting at times.

As for the band, I think everyone was really on point. Everything sounded better than the other London live releases they've done (Wembley, O2 Arena). Myles sounded like a million bucks in this one as oppose to the Wembley DVD. I do agree that Mark was a bit on the quiet side in terms of his guitar sound and I don't really have a good grasp of great guitar tone so I can't speak about his tone.

The behind the scenes was really good. It talks about the magnitude of these shows where not only fans around the world came to see it, but family members as well. There was a moment in rehearsal during Slip to the Void where after the intro where everyone is supposed to come in, the orchestra did not and there was a bit of worry, but thankfully it worked out well during showtime.

My favorite performances during the set? The big epics, especially Blackbird and Cry of Achilles. Words Darker Than their Wings was of course fantastic. Crowd was well receptive for most of the show. I was actually surprised they kept the part in where some of the fans were singing Rise Today after the show ended.

Overall, this is a fantastic DVD and I'm glad they decided to do a show like this. I would say this would rival Live From Amsterdam. This show screams like it's a big swan song for Alter Bridge, but I'm hoping that it would not be the case and I'm hoping they can keep striving for something more in the veins of this show, but time will tell.

Edit: One more note, I'm really glad this DVD came out, since I was unable to see AB in 2017 due to moving on the same weekend of the LA show and that really bummed me out and this DVD really makes up for that.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Cool to see some more positive responses haha!
No problems hearing the bass here with my (cheap) 2.1 computer speakers. Can hear every note BMarsh plays, maybe a bit too much even. But that's always the problem with my speaker set and why I usually just use my headphones when listening music.

SethGuitar
Brand New Start

Post by SethGuitar »

I got bluray myself, I don't have any sound complaints. This was the best I"ve heard the bass in a long time. I have my aunt and uncle visiting, they sat down to watch it with me last night knowing nothing about AB. They loved it, blackbird got my aunt crying. I can see why they said these nights were the best of their careers. Wow!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

fix wrote:Cool to see some more positive responses haha!
No problems hearing the bass here with my (cheap) 2.1 computer speakers. Can hear every note BMarsh plays, maybe a bit too much even. But that's always the problem with my speaker set and why I usually just use my headphones when listening music.
Yeah I can agree that I hear Brian’s bass fine. Some of the super low bass notes seem to have been EQ’d out, but Brian seems to have his bass guitar EQ’d with enough mids in it to be well audible. At least I don’t have any issues hearing him either.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I've only seen the pre-release songs and Fortress (thanks to Lost In Vegas!)

I'm afraid that's as much of this release I can see for some time... It looks and sounds incredible! Hopefully I can get my grubby mitts on the DVD eventually!

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Watching lost in Vegas review of fortress from RAH, hadn't seen the video, covered in goosebumps before Myles even started singing.

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

TremontiFan4Life wrote:I haven't gotten my deluxe box set from Napalm yet
I'm in the UK, ordered from Napalm, nothing yet...

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

BSC wrote:
Troops4Tremonti wrote:
The orchestra is virtually non existence on much of the audio. On some parts, the lack of orchestra seems preemptive even. For instance, every time Mark has a solo, it's like the orchestra is taking a bathroom break. When the songs first started to get released I thought "well, maybe the orchestra just wasn't playing that much or that loudly.
I haven't yet listened to the show, mainly because my copy hasn't arrived (more on that later...), but because I also want to save the experience for when I can watch the show on a nice TV with some nice beer. Having said that, I attended both shows and one of the things I noticed (if my memory serves me correctly) is that the orchestra simply weren't playing during the majority of Mark's solos, so that's why you can't hear them.

I ordered the Earbook bundle via the UK Alter Bridge store. I'm aware that some people have posted that they've been contacted regarding their order and delays, but I've received zero communication from the store and the item hasn't arrived. I'm aware that they have had manufacturing problems, but it's simply shitty service to pre-order a item for release date (and spend a whopping £11 on postage) and not only have it not arrive on the release date, but receive no communication whatsoever. Ah well, next time instead of ordering from the band directly, I'll just go to Amazon. I'll also save my energy by stopping whining here and email a complaint to the store.
BSC... I was there the second night and I agree re the orchestra and guitar solos. Absolutely cracking experience though!
Feeling exactly the same regarding the non delivery of my pre order too (from Napalm.) Crap service.

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

TremontiFan4Life wrote:I received my gold bundle from the Alter Bridge web store this morning. My one wish is that more of the orchestra could be heard. Sadly I don't have 5.1 so I tried listening to about 1/4 of the show in stereo which is blasphemy I know but then I decided to go ahead and switch over to 5.1 audio for the hell of it and while obviously I can't hear everything, it all sounds much better in 5.1. If I had a spare couple hundred bucks I would definitely go by a 5.1 system just to be able to hear more of this show. I haven't even made it to the whole thing yet and I've already teared up three times, I'm just about at the halfway point
I'm really pleased that some of the atmosphere of the night(s) comes across in the filming. I've been hugely lucky to see AB three times now and this performance made me well up too...I sat facing the stage thinking 'This is awesome' - in the truest sense of the word. I cant wait to relive it, when my Blu-ray eventually gets here! Hope you enjoyed the second half as much.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

SamarthJoshi wrote:My order has arrived and it's in mint condition, but I'm going to get it in December as I don't live in the US and my friend is going to visit me at that time. For now, I am listening to the mp3 from iTunes just to scratch that itch. To the people who have watched the Blu-ray, is there any kind of conversation between song changes? Like the WDTTW video on YouTube has that monologue from Myles before starting the song, is there something like that throughout the whole show? On iTunes it's just song after song.
There was a couple of those in-between songs. Like after Fortress was done, Myles talked about how for the first time, they actually have to take a 30 minute break (because shows regarding an orchestra requires the orchestra to play at most 90 minutes before they need to take a 30 minute break). There was, before The Last Hero, Myles talking about the Future Song Foundation and how seeing the orchestra reminds him of his days when he started out playing music in the school band as a teenager (with the trumpet). Also, before Open Your Eyes, Myles just gives a lot of shout-outs to everyone that made these shows possible. Their road crew, their agents. Tim Tournier, their manager, and they brought him out to greet everyone. Andy Copping of Live Nation (the guy that organizes the Download Festival and UK shows for bands like AB).

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

So I watched the whole thing. I don't know much about sound systems, but there is not much orchestra to hear while listening from standard PC through standard headphones. But that's okay, I guess, it's my problem. I'll try to experiment with equalization and presets, maybe I'll find a good sound for myself.

So a few notes about what I liked:
- The atmosphere of the show is surreal, especially last quarter or so of it. Myles coming to the crowd during Broken Wings' second chorus was a pure religious experience just from watching it on Blu-Ray, I can't even imagine what people who were actually there felt at that moment.
- Wonderful Life/Watch over You was even more intimate and hearthbreaking than it usually is. You can hear orchestra here pretty good and it just transcends these songs to the impossible levels. Also there was a B-roll of Wonderful Life during one of the interview segments showing some old lady in the front row almost having a breakdown. I'd say that it did hurt a bit, but it actually did hurt a lot, so I cried a river during actual song and during this B-roll.
- I swear that several times I saw the same blonde girl on the front row that I saw on Live at Wembley video. In that moment it finally got me how this concert felt like giant family reunion to the band.
- Ghost of Days Gone By and In Loving Memory also made me cry, not just few tears, but a whole waterfall during both songs.
- During Lover there was interesting part where no instruments is playing, just Myles singing in absolute silence. I don't know if it was pre-planned, but it felt like it's an improvised moment, because how surprised everyone looked and it was great.
- The final part of Open Your Eyes after second chorus was pure joy to watch. It felt like everyone in the building lost their minds and became one single entity. Watching everyone sincerely smiling and enjoying themselves was just ecstatic.

And here I want to express my opinion, that may be very unpopular, but I feel that it needs to be said: the weakest part of the whole project was Myles.
- His stage presence in most of the show is at near zero levels. When The Last Hero tour started in 2016, I was watching their live concert streaming and I've noticed that Myles looked numb like he is seriously ill or have no interest in anything that is happening. It was strange to see him like that after live shows with Slash a few months before where he is pretty much alive, well and highly energetic. In this show he comes to his senses only during several, not very obvious songs. I would seriously consider that he is tired of Alter Bridge, because he is full of life with his solo-project live perfomances and he never stopped touring, IIRC.
- His stupid mannerisms with not fully singing his lines or to break them with uneccesary crowd interactions - these are ruining a lot of potentially great moments every time he does it. And you can see that it's not because of being overwhelmed by emotions at the moment, these are habits developed through years that you can notice in previous live shows too.
- Oh boy, that infamous high pitched nasal "AH" sound that he makes... I fully understand that most people just won't have an issue with this, but for all of those with trained ears and personal interest in vocals, this live show will be a genuine torture to listen through. It's like listening to a cat, that wants to get laid, meowing under your window every 5-10 seconds for 3 hours straight. It's ugly, it dissonates with Mark's backing vocals, it's ear-piercing. And there is literally no excuse for this - it's just wrong technique, a bad habit that he adopted while touring with Slash to be able to sing G'n'R songs. 10 classes with competent vocal coach (he took lessons from Ron Anderson, so he knows who to reach out) and he will be singing like he is still 30 years old.
- Additionally, there is also a low nasal sound, that he did rarely before (you can hear it in verses of Broken Wings' live perfomances), but sings with it a lot during this show. It approaches mouth marbles levels of Mr. Scott Stapp sometimes.
- In general, Myles' voice sounds inconsistent, all over the place. When you will hear Water Rising, you will notice that Mark sounds almost like on the record - it's not perfectly the same, but it's the same notes, same tone, but with some injections of additional energy because from the high that show gave him. And when Myles enters pre-verse, you'll hear that he is ruining the song with his mosquito nasal sound.

In the end, this show really felt like a warm farewell to the certain phase of their career. They've made four very different quality albums (and one that was not that different and not that quality). I really hope that success of Myles's and Mark's personal artistic success will revitalise their interest in Alter Bridge, so they will commit to it 100% percent not just in studio, but also live. We can't ignore obvious problems with Myles' voice and Mark's guitar sound/sloppy technique, so I hope that they know about these too and are willing to improve.
P.S. Something is wrong with the orchestration of This Side of Fate. The bar before verse sounds off.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Disc came in today from Amazon. That was fast!

Only able to listen to a couple of them. richardsim7 is right about the subwoofer... very much inactive. I'm going to jump into Audacity and do several tweaks myself, because it just doesn't sound like you're in a concert the way it is presented upfront.

As for the orchestration, though it's plenty present to me, I wouldn't want it to override anything either. It's great to just fill up the rest of the songs. However, when it was riding high during In Loving Memory, it started to feel a little dusty in the room for sure.

More on this later when I tool around in Audacity, but so far I'm hating the overall mix of this thing. I don't know if it's because of recording it at RAH, but compare the sound of it to Amsterdam. That sounds crystal clear. This sounds like garbage in general. Even still, I will support them and what they do, but they have to figure this out.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

anguyen92 wrote:
SamarthJoshi wrote:My order has arrived and it's in mint condition, but I'm going to get it in December as I don't live in the US and my friend is going to visit me at that time. For now, I am listening to the mp3 from iTunes just to scratch that itch. To the people who have watched the Blu-ray, is there any kind of conversation between song changes? Like the WDTTW video on YouTube has that monologue from Myles before starting the song, is there something like that throughout the whole show? On iTunes it's just song after song.
There was a couple of those in-between songs. Like after Fortress was done, Myles talked about how for the first time, they actually have to take a 30 minute break (because shows regarding an orchestra requires the orchestra to play at most 90 minutes before they need to take a 30 minute break). There was, before The Last Hero, Myles talking about the Future Song Foundation and how seeing the orchestra reminds him of his days when he started out playing music in the school band as a teenager (with the trumpet). Also, before Open Your Eyes, Myles just gives a lot of shout-outs to everyone that made these shows possible. Their road crew, their agents. Tim Tournier, their manager, and they brought him out to greet everyone. Andy Copping of Live Nation (the guy that organizes the Download Festival and UK shows for bands like AB).
Oh cool! Thank you for the response. It's a long wait for me now. Have a nice day! :)

shakes51
Brand New Start

Post by shakes51 »

Anyone else effected from Napalm's shipping delay? Received an email explaining due to an unforeseen delay in freight delivery, my order will arrive later than the street date. I'm dying to watch this show :)