Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
alterswede
Brand New Start

Re: Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

Post by alterswede »

Listening on my "flat" monitor headphones (audio technica m50x) and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Was not too impressed in the car...
Will recieve the bluray tomorrow, cant wait to listen in 5.1 :) :headbang

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

I can't believe how perfect This Side Of Fate sounds

richardsim7
Brand New Start

Post by richardsim7 »

TremontiFan4Life wrote:I received my gold bundle from the Alter Bridge web store this morning. My one wish is that more of the orchestra could be heard. Sadly I don't have 5.1 so I tried listening to about 1/4 of the show in stereo which is blasphemy I know but then I decided to go ahead and switch over to 5.1 audio for the hell of it and while obviously I can't hear everything, it all sounds much better in 5.1. If I had a spare couple hundred bucks I would definitely go by a 5.1 system just to be able to hear more of this show. I haven't even made it to the whole thing yet and I've already teared up three times, I'm just about at the halfway point
If you select the 5.1 track it'll (probably) be downmixed back to stereo by whatever you're using to play it

Shame they didn't do a separate band only/orchestra only track like Metallica did with S&M

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

MidnightToker wrote:Does anyone know if this will be available in Best Buy or Walmart? Amazon has not only not shipped my order yet, but they haven't even charged me. There is no processing going on whatsoever. If I can get it at Best Buy or Walmart this weekend, I'll cancel my Amazon order today.
Best Buy shows a SKU for the vinyl, but not the Blu-ray or DVD.

I'm going to hold out until tomorrow when it officially releases. If they don't have the BD by then (which I'm not holding onto hope for at all), I'm going to Amazon for it. I may run into just as much trouble as you though.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

Rhiley wrote:Myles' guitar is way too high in the mix relative to everything else. :(
It's probably because they've had to compensate for Tremonti's awful tone, especially on the clean bits of songs like Words. I do think the Orchestra could do with turning up slightly from the three tracks I've heard thusfar.

EDIT: the whole Album is now on Spotify in the UK.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Wow, my package is here. Like actually here and not stolen. I got to say that they really taped this and saran wrap this thing to death. Everything is here in one piece. Nothing torn or damaged or ripped. Earbook looks nice. Can act as a case for the CDs, DVD and Bluray as well. Filled with loads of pictures of the show, of the rehearsal, etc. Don't know why they include the lyrics of all 22 songs played, especially when Wonderful Life/Watch Over You is the abridged version of both songs. Last few pages is basically everyone that made this show possible (AB, management, the roadies, who plays what in the orchestra, who did the orchestral arrangements in the songs (Simon Dobson did not create the arrangements in all of the songs, he did 12 of them)). Last page also includes the thank you notes from the band with the shout-outs to the usual guys (their family, Tim Tournier, Erock, Garrett, John Connolly of Sevendust, Slash and Conspirators) and the usual omissions........

I'll watch the DVD tomorrow when I'm able to get three hours of free time to watch this thing without any distractions, but I'm already happy with my package. Everything is here in one piece with no damages. Earbook looks nice. Shirt fits nicely. I'll probably wear it at every concert I go to from here on out (if I'm going to be the only AB fan at the non-AB concerts I go to, I might as well sport it with pride). Well done, Napalm Records. That's two live releases that you delivered in a timely manner for Alter Bridge. I'm proud of yas.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

AngusWolfe wrote:
Rhiley wrote:Myles' guitar is way too high in the mix relative to everything else. :(
It's probably because they've had to compensate for Tremonti's awful tone, especially on the clean bits of songs like Words. I do think the Orchestra could do with turning up slightly from the three tracks I've heard thusfar.

EDIT: the whole Album is now on Spotify in the UK.
I've got to agree with Mark's terrible clean tone, he really needs to start carrying around a separate amp again for his clean tone. I was really surprised especially at the beginning of Broken Wings, I've gotten so used to hearing that bluesy tone that to hear it electrified really took me by surprise. It stands out in some other areas also but that's the one that I can remember off of the top of my head right now.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I got my copy in the mail today and watched it this evening. It’s easily their best live DVD imo. Not just the orchestra, but the set list is superb (although I would’ve swapped in Isolation for Writing on the Wall, but that’s a small gripe).

The orchestra works better for some songs than others, but overall their addition to these songs adds so much more depth. It’s almost going to feel empty hearing these songs without them lol. I listened to the show through my surround sound system, so I was happy to see they specifically had a 5.1 audio option. It really makes the world of difference hearing it that way over using headphones/computer speakers with the MP3s.

Partway through the show, it dawned on me that we never got true pro-shot footage of Fortress songs (hey there Milan). Hearing Cry of Achilles, Fortress, Lover, etc was such an awesome treat. The set list really is strong on this, I can’t say enough about how awesome their song selection was.

Overall, it’s an amazing concert. The only dislikes I have are minimal, but I would mention Mark’s “clean” tone being too dirty for my tastes. It really stands out on songs like In Loving Memory as just not sounding the same as it used to. But it’s not something that makes me dislike the show by any means.

I’d easily give this show a 9/10, maybe a 9.5. It’s one of the top highlights of the band’s career, and it reminded me of just how much I love their music.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Im not having any luck with Alter Bridge or Tremonti product these days it seems :/ :no First those emails I mentioned in the novel thread and now when I go to check the tracking info for the RAH DVD it tells me

Your shipment couldn't be delivered

According to UPS®, your order couldn't be delivered as planned. Please contact UPS® to arrange another delivery attempt.

:shrug

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That’s odd for such a small item. Wouldn’t think UPS would have required a signature for a DVD and you may have missed them. They usually put a notice on your door when they fail to deliver too...but try calling your local UPS store tomorrow. If you have a tracking number, they should be able to sort out where it is.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

My order has arrived and it's in mint condition, but I'm going to get it in December as I don't live in the US and my friend is going to visit me at that time. For now, I am listening to the mp3 from iTunes just to scratch that itch. To the people who have watched the Blu-ray, is there any kind of conversation between song changes? Like the WDTTW video on YouTube has that monologue from Myles before starting the song, is there something like that throughout the whole show? On iTunes it's just song after song.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Since I don't have a way of playing the physical media, I'm condemned to listening to just the music on iTunes. But I'll have to say I'm enjoying it more than I would've thought haha! Maybe the orchestra could be more prominent at some places (but overall I like it) and I've said enough about Marks (not just the clean) tone. Still enjoy the listen very much, just so great to hear some of these epic songs live!

Some of my highlights after the first listen: In Loving Memory (who is cutting those damn onions?), Lover (the quiet part after the bridge), Fortress solo part, Blackbird (!) and how beautiful the orchestra sounds with the acoustic songs.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I'm sorry but Mark's tone sounds like shit on these backed off 'clean' wannabe parts like the verse of Brand New Start or Blackbird. I can't believe he couldn't bring out a proper clean amplifier for such a legendary gig.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

Holy fuckkkkkkkkkkkk Lover. One of the top performances from this concert imo. The orchestra at the ending. Scratched the itch perfectly.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

fix wrote:Since I don't have a way of playing the physical media, I'm condemned to listening to just the music on iTunes. But I'll have to say I'm enjoying it more than I would've thought haha! Maybe the orchestra could be more prominent at some places (but overall I like it) and I've said enough about Marks (not just the clean) tone. Still enjoy the listen very much, just so great to hear some of these epic songs live!

Some of my highlights after the first listen: In Loving Memory (who is cutting those damn onions?), Lover (the quiet part after the bridge), Fortress solo part, Blackbird (!) and how beautiful the orchestra sounds with the acoustic songs.
In Loving Memory was my surprise of the show and it hit me just as much listening to the album. I was never a massive fan of the song, but with the Orchestra it's one of my favourite things they've ever done.

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

I gotta be that guy.

From what I've seen and understand, this concert sounds best on a blu-ray. However, this was released on CD, Vinyl, and Spotify so it SHOULD sound good on these platforms. So, that should eliminate any excuses for the following:

The orchestra is virtually non existence on much of the audio. On some parts, the lack of orchestra seems preemptive even. For instance, every time Mark has a solo, it's like the orchestra is taking a bathroom break. When the songs first started to get released I thought "well, maybe the orchestra just wasn't playing that much or that loudly. Well, I've seen the YouTube phone video for Blackbird and that orchestra is wonderful - specifically during the chorus melody line when you hear the brass instruments. On the audio release, it's as if the brass doesn't even exist.

Who was at the switch when this was being mixed and mastered? Either that person should be fired or there is a conspiracy here. Perhaps Mark told the producer to turn everything down for his solos - which would be another consequence of his pride. Or perhaps somebody was just massively underqualified. I tend to lean more toward this theory; the band/producer/whoever didn't want the orchestra to SHARE the audio stage, they wanted the orchestra to be there as an extra minor dynamic - which leads to other issues:

If the orchestra wasn't going to be heard more - and somebody knew that and the audio got released anyway; that seems like a marketing ploy and it seems deceptive and dishonest. I don't think that's the case - but somebody did a really terrible job mixing and mastering this - it makes Death Magnetic sound flawless. It seems somebody didn't want the orchestra overpowering the band - BUT YOU DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM IF YOU MIX AND MASTER IT CORRECTLY. Alter Bridge shares this live concert category with, really, one other band: Metallica. They really needed to get this right and they didn't and now I'm extremely peeved.

Lastly, it's not nitpicking if your issue is that you can't hear the orchestra - the whole point of this release.

richardsim7
Brand New Start

Post by richardsim7 »

I am happy to confirm that on the DVD, the audio options are Dolby Digital 2.0 or Dolby Digital 5.1
On the Blu-Ray, they're LPCM Stereo (24/48) and DTS-HD MA 5.1 (24/48)

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

richardsim7 wrote:I am happy to confirm that on the DVD, the audio options are Dolby Digital 2.0 or Dolby Digital 5.1
On the Blu-Ray, they're LPCM Stereo (24/48) and DTS-HD MA 5.1 (24/48)
Praise the Lord!

Never trust others with what they report (not you, others that are like: "Yeah, the disc plays sound I think.")

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Timotheus wrote:Of course they do.. Can you imagine Ties That Bind with the orchestra doing Myles's vocal overdubs in the intro? Or the way the chorus could open up with an orchestra in the background?
I was right :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
MidnightToker wrote:Does anyone know if this will be available in Best Buy or Walmart? Amazon has not only not shipped my order yet, but they haven't even charged me. There is no processing going on whatsoever. If I can get it at Best Buy or Walmart this weekend, I'll cancel my Amazon order today.
Best Buy shows a SKU for the vinyl, but not the Blu-ray or DVD.

I'm going to hold out until tomorrow when it officially releases. If they don't have the BD by then (which I'm not holding onto hope for at all), I'm going to Amazon for it. I may run into just as much trouble as you though.
I would highly advise you to not use Amazon for this one. It's release day and mine hasn't even shipped yet. If it doesn't by the end of the day, I'm going to cancel my order and order from Napalm, which I should have done from the start. I usually don't have problems with Amazon but of course I do now for the DVD I've been looking forward to since I heard about the show.

Yesterday the Amazon guy told me it was "processing for shipment" or something like that, like it was just about to ship. But the fact that it hasn't shipped by release date really sucks. Everyone else is watching their copy and I'm looking at at least another week until I can. To make matters worse, I'm not aware of any brick-and-mortar store that sells the Blu-Ray/DVD.