Best and worst Alterbridge album

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Best and worst Alterbridge album

Post by Mr. Slash »

Coer D'Alene kicks ass. I love Tremonti's low riff and the changes in dynamics between chorus, pre chorus and verses.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Not only that! A user on this board inspired Tremonti to write that song!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yes. My favorite part of the tune.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Fortress album is still their crowing achievement in the studio thus far. Incredible level of maturity and musical growth compared to earlier albums.

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

Arctic wrote:Dude. Calm The Fire is a work of art and top 5 Alter Bridge, and Myles sounds like a god on the chorus.
I knew it would be an unpopular choice, but that chorus just screams "excess" to me. Must be, what, five Myleses singing together? Possibly with a few Marks chucked in there for good measure, six years on and I can't even tell with everything going on.

Calm the Fire is kinda like a poster child for not shoehorning the standard huge chorus into every single Alter Bridge song. Could have been fantastic with a little more variety.
Jesterhead92 wrote:Isn't the soft part of Watch Your Words the pre-chorus?
Fair point. I've always considered it one long chorus from the soft bit to the "sick inside" part.

Either way, it's a nice touch. Reminds me of Metallica's The Unforgiven.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Buffon wrote:
Arctic wrote:Dude. Calm The Fire is a work of art and top 5 Alter Bridge, and Myles sounds like a god on the chorus.
I knew it would be an unpopular choice, but that chorus just screams "excess" to me. Must be, what, five Myleses singing together? Possibly with a few Marks chucked in there for good measure, six years on and I can't even tell with everything going on.

Calm the Fire is kinda like a poster child for not shoehorning the standard huge chorus into every single Alter Bridge song. Could have been fantastic with a little more variety.
I don't disagree at all, but at least that chorus sounds good while doing it. Anything from TLH that does it sounds like they could have done less. Now, I hope that CTF wasn't the song that got Myles to tell the others: "You know, what we need more of is me." Something like that ain't ever good.

Plus, the chorus for Outright sounds way, way worse. I once equated it to like a haunted clowny sick-cycle carousel or something like that.

EDIT: Oh, I said this.
Depends on the song, I think Myles harmonizing with himself can sound carnival-ish, and that's not a good thing.

For instance, I like the song Outright, but man I could do without him harmonizing in the chorus. He's straight clowning in it. "HAHAND WAHAHAN LAHAHAST THEEHEEHEEHEEHEENG..." plus the up-up-down falsetto thing his harmonies are doing there. Maybe just maybe I would have appreciated it more if he only didn't harmonize with himself in the first chorus, and then it escalated in the other choruses... but no, I don't like it there otherwise.

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I don't disagree at all, but at least that chorus sounds good while doing it. Anything from TLH that does it sounds like they could have done less.
Yeah, that's fair.

The overdubs have gotten worse with every album from Blackbird onwards. It annoys me more when they ruin otherwise promising songs - Calm the Fire and Island of Fools are probably the two biggest ones, Lover too.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Buffon wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I don't disagree at all, but at least that chorus sounds good while doing it. Anything from TLH that does it sounds like they could have done less.
Yeah, that's fair.

The overdubs have gotten worse with every album from Blackbird onwards. It annoys me more when they ruin otherwise promising songs - Calm the Fire and Island of Fools are probably the two biggest ones, Lover too.
I can for sure agree to Lover, plus any of the filters during his whispering stuff too, because Lover was one of my favorite songs to listen to on the RAH Blu-ray and is one of my least favorite songs on Fortress. I think a lot of what Myles does in it has to do with that.

My Champion also suffers from it, but if they want to leave the choruses be that would be fine. I just wish they didn't do it in the verses, because the choruses can't escalate from it. The chrouses aren't dynamically larger than the verses. There is only a single line in the whole song where there is only one Myles singing: "A song for you when I am gone," and it is the best sounding part of the verses by a long shot. If they lowered the instrumental bits during the verses and went down to one Myles, that would definitely help the choruses sound a lot more impactful even if they kept those parts the same.

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

Exactly! I'd go so far as to say pretty much everything from Fortress onwards sounds 10X better live, without the stupid effects and layers. I think My Champion is a terrible song, but I can at least tolerate the Live at the O2 version.

On a very similar note, All Ends Well was my choice for worst AB song ever for a long time. That changed when I saw Myles live last year and he played the acoustic version, without five of him going "aaaaaallllll in due tiiime".

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Ubik wrote:You have to cut one song off every album. Go!

ODR - Watch Your Words. It's a consistently strong album but this is the weakest link.
Blackbird - Break Me Down. Before Tomorrow Comes runs it close, but yeah, it's Break Me. Down.
ABIII - Breathe Again. Get out.
Fortress - Cry a River. It's a shame Outright didn't quite fit the mood of the album, as it's so much better and would've got the album near a perfect 10.
The Last Hero - You Will Be Remembered. No you will not.

Tracks 9/10/11 seem to attract my ire, so one of Pay No Mind, Forever Falling (surely not) or Clear Horizon seems destined to bother me.

ODR: Dare I say the title track...

BB: Break Me Down (I like it but would have rather seen The Damage Done make the cut)

ABIII: Make It Right (the crazy high note at the end of Breathe Again always makes me tingly)

Fortress: Cry A River (Though for the longest time I felt that Cry of Achilles was overrated)

TLH: Losing Patience...

Thierry
Bought The CDs

Post by Thierry »

AB3 (last hero is pretty poor too) sucks and ODR and fortress are awesome.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Going early my eat crow but Walk The Sky will be their worst going by what been released and only 1 epic spells a failure from me. Best for me is either TLH or Fortress i prefer TLH even though thats not allowed

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Right... AB3 also only had 1 “epic” track, and that album is pretty damn good (from a songwriting POV).

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

Yeah 1 epic is fine. Blackbird only has one, ABIII only has one, ODR doesn't have any.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Right... AB3 also only had 1 “epic” track, and that album is pretty damn good (from a songwriting POV).

I wouldnt even call that an epic personally and think the album is filled with filler songs especially the back half

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Yeah well your opinion sucks flopping donkey balls.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

LosingPatience wrote:Going early my eat crow but Walk The Sky will be their worst going by what been released and only 1 epic spells a failure from me. Best for me is either TLH or Fortress i prefer TLH even though thats not allowed
Sure it's allowed. :-) No matter what people call your opinion (I saw something about donkey balls :-D), it's still a valid opinion haha.

The songs I like most of AB are mostly 'epics', but the song I like most of TLH is Island of Fools. That's no epic, so... and I also happen to like a lot of songs on ABIII so we'll see what WtS brings us.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

I can imagine people not recognizing the Epic on ABIII, since the complete album happens to be Epic

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

LosingPatience wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:Right... AB3 also only had 1 “epic” track, and that album is pretty damn good (from a songwriting POV).

I wouldnt even call that an epic personally and think the album is filled with filler songs especially the back half
People are always so negative in this forum

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

riemslag1 wrote:I can imagine people not recognizing the Epic on ABIII, since the complete album happens to be Epic
Agreement would be on Words Darker as the epic but Slip Into the Void definitely has some epic qualities so I count it in the epic category. So let's see the epics:
ODR- The End is Here (arguable)
BB- title track
AB3- Words and maybe Slip
Fortress- Cry of Achilles & Fortress (definite), Calm the Fire (arguable)
TLH- SMAL, TLH (definite), This Side of Fate & Cradle (arguable)