Best and worst Alterbridge album

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Luke400
Brand New Start

Re: Best and worst Alterbridge album

Post by Luke400 »

This is very difficult I love them all...But if I had to put them in order..

1.Blackbird
2. Fortress
3. ABIII
4. The Last Hero
5. One Day Remains

The top 3 in particular are very hard to put in order.
The Last Hero would be amazing if not for a couple of tracks that I don't like very much.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Where I’m at currently:

1a. Fortress
1b. Blackbird
3. AB III
4. The Last Hero
5. One Day Remains

ODR has always been my least favorite from them simply because I prefer the style of music they make now. But from a production standpoint, that album is top shelf.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

So I recently did a full discography run for AB and ranked each album based on individual song rankings. There was a 4 way tie for 1st place with everything but TLH at around a 9.1/10 and TLH was around 8.9 so I have to say instead that AB are so consistent overall that saying they have a worst album is really hard since a 0.2 difference doesn't make TLH bad. Just the production does at times bring it down.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Just did a 1-10 rating on each song (minus the bonus tracks) of every album and got an average, my numbers rank them:

1. Fortress - 100/120 (83%)
2. Blackbird - 103/130 (79%)
3. One Day Remains - 87/110 (79%)
4. AB III - 108/140 (77%)
5. The Last Hero - 96/130 (74%)

If I were to rank them based on my gut, I would swap ODR and AB III. Simply because while One Day Remains (no 10s) is the more consistent album, the highs of AB III (three 10s) are higher in my opinion. Fortress is still the clear winner in my book, my favorite album of all-time
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

It’s funny, I’ve always thought the general consensus was that ABIII was one of the bands weaker albums, but the people in the Alter Bridge Facebook group recently had a battle of the albums poll and it came down to ABIII vs Blackbird. Blackbird won, obviously, but ABIII convincingly beat Fortress in the previous round. Blew my mind.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I love ABIII, it's a great album.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Best they ever made

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

1.) Fortress
2.) Blackbird
3.) The Last Hero
4.) One day Remains
5.) III

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think AB III has the best 3 song opener of any of their albums. It’s not as consistent as Fortress, but I still hold the album up pretty high.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Arctic wrote:It’s funny, I’ve always thought the general consensus was that ABIII was one of the bands weaker albums, but the people in the Alter Bridge Facebook group recently had a battle of the albums poll and it came down to ABIII vs Blackbird. Blackbird won, obviously, but ABIII convincingly beat Fortress in the previous round. Blew my mind.
AB III doesn't have my favorite songs, but it is my favorite album also because it doesn't have a single bad song either.

It's a NASCAR racer who never places, but is on top in the season because the others who do place also have their sets of bad races.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Arctic wrote:It’s funny, I’ve always thought the general consensus was that ABIII was one of the bands weaker albums, but the people in the Alter Bridge Facebook group recently had a battle of the albums poll and it came down to ABIII vs Blackbird. Blackbird won, obviously, but ABIII convincingly beat Fortress in the previous round. Blew my mind.
I think if anything it just shows that the opinions of this board don't necessarily line up with the opinions of the average Alter Bridge fan, 99% of which probably don't even know that this board exists.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Fortress also has a weaker stretch of songs towards the end for my personal tastes. Farther Than The Sun, Cry A River, and All Ends Well is a stretch of AB songs where none of them would even be in the top half of their catalog for my ranking.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote: AB III doesn't have my favorite songs, but it is my favorite album also because it doesn't have a single bad song either.

It's a NASCAR racer who never places, but is on top in the season because the others who do place also have their sets of bad races.
I'm kind of in the same boat here (and I always appreciate a good NASCAR reference lol). It might not technically be their best album, but there's just something about it that keeps me coming back to it.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

My best is probably Fortress because of CoA, CtF and the title track.
The worst probably ODR, because not any of the songs would be in my top 10 and it’s not really the AB sound I love the most.

joeyp
Brand New Start

Post by joeyp »

They don’t have a bad album obviously.

1) Fortress - only weak songs IMO are Uninvited, Cry a River, and All Ends Well kind of (even though it was necessary for dynamics)

2) Blackbird - has one of the only songs by AB I genuinely dislike (Break Me Down), otherwise is great top to bottom, but the highs of Fortress top the highs of Blackbird I think (Blackbird is still their greatest song)

3) ABIII - great point that the first 3 songs (I’d argue first 4) are their greatest opener of any album. The album is incredibly deep with no bad songs

4) Last Hero - Genuinely do not like Poison In Your Veins. It’s by far my least favorite AB song, and it’s almost like they took 3 steps back by making it (and releasing it as a single even). Solo shreds, rest of the song is cheesy af. Otherwise, no “bad” songs, a few weaker ones, with TLH, SMAL, TSOF, and My Champion all placing in my top 10 or 15 AB songs

5) ODR - Great album, but the only songs that I consistently go back to are Open Your Eyes and Metalingus. It’s one of those albums though that you play start to finish and realize that man, Mark Tremonti can freakin write songs and old Myles was incredible

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

joeyp wrote: 5) ODR - Great album, but the only songs that I consistently go back to are Open Your Eyes and Metalingus. It’s one of those albums though that you play start to finish and realize that man, Mark Tremonti can freakin write songs and old Myles was incredible
Welcome to the forums! I totally agree on your last sentence. I decided to listen to that album all the way through last night (which I hadn't done in a good while), and it was such a refreshing journey. It's really consistent from start to finish. Still holds up well, but at the same time, it shows how far they've come.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I find myself appreciating ODR more and more lately. It’s so clean and melodic.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Arctic wrote:I find myself appreciating ODR more and more lately. It’s so clean and melodic.
If I can add Breathe, Solace, and Cruel Sun onto the album, that just makes it better. Especially Solace.

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

Best to worst:

1) Blackbird
2) ABIII
3) ODR
4) Fortress
5) TLH

LosingPatience
White Knuckled