Best and worst Alterbridge album

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Re: Best and worst Alterbridge album

Post by Blackbirddd »

One Day Remains - Watch Your Words
Blackbird - Break Me Down
AB III - Breathe Again
Fortress - Waters Rising
The Last Hero - You Will Be Remembered
Walk The Sky - (Until now) Wouldn't You Rather

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Watch your words seems to be getting a lot of hate here, which is surprising to me. I understand that lyrically it's meh, especially on the chorus but the instruments are great

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

joshuabeau wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:ODR - Watch Your Words
Blackbird - Break Me Down
AB3 - Life Must Go On
Fortress - All Ends Well
TLH - You Will Be Remembered
Life Must Go on AND All Ends Well?? Man.. bummer. For sure would pick Cry A River over AEW.
All Ends Well is easily one of their cheesiest songs.

I think I'd pick the same songs as AB4Lyfe, except replace Watch Your Words with Shed My Skin.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I feel like there's nothing wrong with one semi-cheesy sing along anthem per album, especially if it adds to the popularity of the band or diversity of the album. For example, listening to Fortress could be very jarring for someone who only heard one day remains. Some people complain about Life Must Go On and All Ends Well and then long for the sound of ODR and to me those are the songs that have that vibe. I feel like those songs are the bones thrown to fans of the old Creed anthems (which might be the reason some fans hate them) but I feel like they still have their place in the catalog.

Reminds me I would like to discuss which AB & Tremonti songs sound like Creed and which early Creed songs can you definitely hear the origins of AB & Tremonti sound

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I definitely appreciate All Ends Well, it's cheese but it's a fine cheese, with a lighter mood than the rest of the album's "EVERYTHING DIES, Y'ALL" message. I do prefer Outright, though, in fact Outright is just plain great.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I think a lot of people like Ghost. I sure do. Cool bridge as well.

My Champion is fine in every way but corny/generic lyrics from an AB-based standard.
I think my dislike for that song would be cut in half if they didn't try and rhyme "Again" with "Champion". It grinds my gears so much.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

AngusWolfe wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I think a lot of people like Ghost. I sure do. Cool bridge as well.

My Champion is fine in every way but corny/generic lyrics from an AB-based standard.
I think my dislike for that song would be cut in half if they didn't try and rhyme "Again" with "Champion". It grinds my gears so much.
I wouldn't consider that in a worst-of-the-worst. Give me another word that rhymes better with champion. Tampion?

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

I wouldn't consider that in a worst-of-the-worst. Give me another word that rhymes better with champion. Tampion?
I mean fitting Potassium in would have been better than what they did. Queen managed to write a song with Champions in the lyrics and not botch it. Songs don't always have to rhyme.

I know it's a petty thing, but it's the one that bothers me for irrational reasons.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

^ I don't follow. I don't see how potassium works better from a sound point of view.

And I only stated "rhyme" because you stated "rhyme." If you're stating you don't like that they rhymed it period, then okay. If you're stating you don't like that the rhyme they chose was "again," I don't know I'm not really against that as much as you.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:^ I don't follow. I don't see how potassium works better from a sound point of view.

And I only stated "rhyme" because you stated "rhyme." If you're stating you don't like that they rhymed it period, then okay. If you're stating you don't like that the rhyme they chose was "again," I don't know I'm not really against that as much as you.
The Potassium thing was mostly a joke.
It's the pronunciation that jarrs with me, especially as it's the centre of the chorus, and the reason Myles pronounces it "My Champien" is to make it rhyme with "again". If it had a better rhyme, or didn't have to rhyme at all, one of my big issues with the song would not be there.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

I know that it was a joke, like in that they literally wouldn't say that. I just don't see the outcry with it.

I see now that you're saying it's the way they force them together through pronunciation as opposed to through word choice, but ehh I never saw that myself. But of course, that is your opinion and I respect it. I think the song has bigger problems myself, but again that is only my opinion and not necessarily anybody else's.

In fact, there was a more offensive lack-of-rhyme that I once heard and don't know why they didn't just force them to sound more so the same when the words already sound the same. Remember N'Sync?

Baby, when you finally
Get to love somebody
Guess what? It's gonna be me

But we all know how Justin Timberlake sings ME in the song like MAY, which now upsets the rhyme scheme. Why did he do it? We will never know.

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

1. Blackbird (Favorite: Blackbird, Least Favorite: Break Me Down)
2. Fortress (Favorite: Cry of Achilles, Least Favorite: Cry A River)
3. One Day Remains (Favorite: Shed My Skin, Least Favorite: Open Your Eyes)
4. AB III (Favorite: All Hope Is Gone, Least Favorite: Make It Right)
5. The Last Hero (Favorite: Show Me a Leader, Least Favorite: uuhhh all of it?)

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Jesterhead92 wrote:1. Blackbird (Favorite: Blackbird, Least Favorite: Break Me Down)
Not saying this isn't allowed at all, because of course this is fine as it's your opinion.

I just wanted to say that I don't think I've ever seen somebody state this before. In my book, it's statistically as probably as somebody saying that Blackbird is "just okay," lol.

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Jesterhead92 wrote:1. Blackbird (Favorite: Blackbird, Least Favorite: Break Me Down)
Not saying this isn't allowed at all, because of course this is fine as it's your opinion.

I just wanted to say that I don't think I've ever seen somebody state this before. In my book, it's statistically as probably as somebody saying that Blackbird is "just okay," lol.
Some people do think Blackbird is overrated though haha and idk it's all relative. I think it's a decent song and live, it's a great song. But it's just comparatively underwhelming and the solo doesn't really fit the song imo

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

ODR: Watch Your Words. Horrible track, probably AB's worst musically.
Blackbird: Buried Alive. I just don't dig it, it's too bland for me. Unpopular opinion, I know.
AB III: Breathe Again. The only weaker song on the album because it's essentially a cover of BTC.
Fortress: Farther Than The Sun. Boring, filler track, chorus isn't as groovy as they tried to make it.
The Last Hero: You Will Be Remembered (Losing Patience being a close 2nd). Cheesy and patriotic. Two awful traits.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

1. One Day Remains
2. Blackbird
3. ABIII
4. Fortress
5. The Last Hero

I think "Walk the Sky" will get the 4th place over Fortress and The Last Hero.

PS: One Day Remains and Blackbird replace each other over the time.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

Ive seen a lot of criticism of Breathe Again particularly in this forum. It's one of my favorites on AB III so I want to respond to the points I hear the most.

1. "It's too commercial/safe/generic" I don't think those are useful terms for describing music most of the time. Let's not pretend Alter Bridge is out here pushing the boundaries of what music can be. And they don't need to be. Epics like Cry of Achilles are the outliers. They've always just been a band that makes solid, straightforward, melodic music, and Breathe Again is imo a great example of that. The bridge and outro in particular are so climactic I just don't see what's "generic" about it.

2. "It's a rehash/worse version of Before Tomorrow Comes" This criticism baffles me the most. They have a similar vibe, but uhhh, that's about it. Lyrically, thematically, harmonically, melodically, etc theyre very different songs. And if I have to pick which one is better? I mean, I like BTC, but it is quite literally the same 3 chords throughout the entire song. Breathe Again has a LOT more going on. The lead fill before the second verse is one of my favorite things ever, the riff in the bridge is awesome, Myles' vocals on this track are fantastic, etc. It's just a lot more interesting all over imo.

3. "It doesn't fit the album" This one I can definitely understand. AB III is supposed to be a dark record about losing faith and facing mortality and here we have this upbeat, life-affirming song. But idk, it doesn't ruin the song for me. A big theme in AB's music is overcoming adversity and finding silver linings. And AB III has songs like Make It Right and Life Must Go On too so it's not like Breathe Again is a sore thumb or anything.

Okay, rant over, I just really like Breathe Again, it's probably my second favorite song on AB III begind AHIG

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

TheEndisHere wrote:Watch your words seems to be getting a lot of hate here, which is surprising to me. I understand that lyrically it's meh, especially on the chorus but the instruments are great
It's also still their only song that reverses the standard format and goes heavy verse - soft chorus, which I've always appreciated. Makes the final chorus (and Myles's vocals on that last "righteous") hit even harder. Baffled to see so much hate for it!

My songs to kill:

One Day Remains - Shed My Skin, but only because I have to pick one. ODR is a very consistent album
Blackbird: Rise Today. Belongs on a Daughtry/Hinder album, not ****ing Blackbird
AB III: Couer D'Alene. One of a sequence of forgettable songs on an album that could use some trimming
Fortress: Calm the Fire. Great start, but that chorus kills it
The Last Hero: You Will Be Remembered. Absolute garbage and their worst song, though most of its competition is on the same record

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Dude. Calm The Fire is a work of art and top 5 Alter Bridge, and Myles sounds like a god on the chorus.

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

Isn't the soft part of Watch Your Words the pre-chorus?