Best and worst Alterbridge album

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Best and worst Alterbridge album

Post by Timotheus »

Watch Your Words
Break Me Down or One By One
Breathe Again or Make It Right
Cry a River or Peace Is Broken
Losing Patience or You Will Be Remembered
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Watch Your Words or One Day Remains
One by One or Break Me Down
Breathe Again or Make It Right
All Ends Well
Twilight or You Will Be Remembered

Damn, that's hard.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

Andy92 wrote:
Ubik wrote:Lover's one of the four untouchables on Fortress for me. And Coming Home is top 5 on Blackbird!

This just goes to show that I'm glad no-one here (except Andy) is in charge of tracklists :D
There’s a small Break Me Down fanclub around that I’m sure to tick off...lol
That would be me! That said I think I'm going to have to give explanations for one or two of mine to avoid the mob.

ODR - In Loving Memory - I know this one means a lot to a fair number of people but I've never really gelled with it. It's a very important AB song, but in terms of what I like to listen to, it's not for me. That said, I would not delete it from the AB Canon entirely. The RAH version is so much better than the album version that I actually look forward to it, while the album version I sometimes skip. So as long as the RAH version stays I'd drop it from One Day Remains, especially if we got Breathe, Solace or Cruel Sun instead.

BB - One By One - the biggest struggle to pick one I think. This song is still a better appreciation to the military than You Will Be Remembered though.

ABIII - Show Me A Sign - There's a fair few songs between Ghosts of Days Gone By and WDTTW that I would not miss massively, but this is the one that didn't have at least a small part that I really enjoy. It's a solid, good song, but it hasn't got the cool lead guitar under the chorus that I Know It Hurts does, for example. Make it Right was a contender too, to be fair.

Fortress: The Uninvited - Another tough one, I just think this and Bleed It Dry fill the same niche and I prefer the riffs in BID.

TLH: You Will Be Remembered AND My Champion: Please god take them both. I would like TLH so much more if we dumped both of these tracks. Songs like these are why modern rock is considered soulless and without edge. For a band like Alter Bridge that did such a good job of moving away from that Shinedown/Nickelback modern rock route with BB, ABIII and Fortress this is such a massive step back. These are the only two Alter Bridge songs I actively dislike, and the fact that they both come from the same album is why TLH is my, and a lot of people's worst AB albums, despite songs like Island of Fools and Cradle to the Grave being some of the best stuff they've ever done.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Dolo wrote:All Ends Well
This song may have saved one of my students' lives. It's forever enshrined as a song to live at least as long as she does.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Hilarious how this (horribly titled) thread has evolved.

ODR - Watch Your Words. This was the only difficult choice on the 5. I wouldn't drop any from this album, but since Ubik demanded this from us, I gotta choose one.
BB - One By One
III - Ghost of Days Gone By
Fortress - Farther Than the Sun
TLH - You Will Be Remembered
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

gbruin wrote:Hilarious how this (horribly titled) thread has evolved.
Doubly so since there's a discussion about the best and worst Alterbridge albums going on the Wouldn't You Rather thread.
For all of the hope that it brings...

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Let's see.
One Days Remains- Get rid of Burn it Down
Blackbird- Break Me Down (i don't get why anyone would say Coming Home would deserve to go before this)
ABIII- Make it Right
Fortress- Lover it just doesn't feel like it belongs in the AB catalogue. (I don't get the Hate for All Ends Well, yes the lyrics are a little cliche but every album needs an anthem for variety)
The Last Hero- You will be remembered (not). I don't understand the hate for My Champion.

Overall some of these opinions I see are shocking (killing Ghosts, Coming Home).
Some one should make a poll on a separate thread to vote to kill one song per album

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

You're saying you find opinions on Ghosts and Coming Home shocking and yet you're dropping Burn it Down off ODR? Duh.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I thought of dropping the title track off One Day Remains (it is the weakest of the title tracks) because the lyrics aren't great but the the riffs are decent enough. I just never liked the opening of burn it down

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Regarding Burn It Down, the lyrics don't resonate with me at all. I haven't touched alcohol or drugs in 31 years of existence. Don't love the chord progression (Lover sounds the same regarding it, and I don't love it either), and the song in general is just too long for me. I don't even like the harmonizing aspects when Mark sings "Burn it down" with Myles. Just not my melody.

Lover has redeeming qualities in the song. The "Did you have to throw it all away?" bit sounds great to me.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I didn't take the lyrics into consideration, although I find them interesting. It's has this seducing chord progressions that draws you in. I love the harmonization between Myles and Mark and the solo is one of the best Mark has done.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

By the way, I want to address something:

Listening to the RAH version of Lover again, I realized that its arrangement has a lot to do with my dislike for the song... because the RAH version of it does it so much justice, that the concert's value would diminish greatly if that song wasn't on it.

So I don't actually think Lover is my least favorite song on Fortress, but I don't much like listening to it on there either. I'll listen to the RAH version any day, though. Anyway, I'll replace Lover with Peace Is Broken.

Ooh, and Waters Rising is much better live as well, especially when Mark sings with some angst in the chorus (now that he has done a few albums and live shows).

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:By the way, I want to address something:

Listening to the RAH version of Lover again, I realized that its arrangement has a lot to do with my dislike for the song... because the RAH version of it does it so much justice, that the concert's value would diminish greatly if that song wasn't on it.

So I don't actually think Lover is my least favorite song on Fortress, but I don't much like listening to it on there either. I'll listen to the RAH version any day, though. Anyway, I'll replace Lover with Peace Is Broken.

Ooh, and Waters Rising is much better live as well, especially when Mark sings with some angst in the chorus (now that he has done a few albums and live shows).
Completely agree RE: Waters Rising. Really wasn't a fan of the song at all until I heard it live, now it's one of my favourites off the album.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

First post!

Best album has to be Fortress. There was an exceptional level of musical growth between ABIII and Fortress. Songs became heavier, more complex and it really works. TLH tried to replicate this but didn’t do it as well.

There are no “bad” AB albums, but if we’re going to pick a “worst” it would be One Day Remains.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

I dont have a worst AB album because i love all of them, yes that includes TLH which might even be my fav. Its the most rock and roll of their albums imo.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

This will be tough...

Down To My Last - ODR
One By One - BB
Breathe Again - ABIII
The Uninvited - Fortress
You Will Be Remembered - TLH

I chose Down To My Last because I love the riffs and pre chorus in Watch Your Words. I almost chose This Side of Fate from TLH, because unlike 90% of you, I just don't like the song.

And for an unpopular opinion, I love both Ghost and My Champion. Both are fun sing alongs. And Ghost is close to top 5 AB songs for me.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

I think a lot of people like Ghost. I sure do. Cool bridge as well.

My Champion is fine in every way but corny/generic lyrics from an AB-based standard.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Ubik wrote:You have to cut one song off every album. Go!

ODR - Watch Your Words. It's a consistently strong album but this is the weakest link.
Blackbird - Break Me Down. Before Tomorrow Comes runs it close, but yeah, it's Break Me. Down.
ABIII - Breathe Again. Get out.
Fortress - Cry a River. It's a shame Outright didn't quite fit the mood of the album, as it's so much better and would've got the album near a perfect 10.
The Last Hero - You Will Be Remembered. No you will not.

Tracks 9/10/11 seem to attract my ire, so one of Pay No Mind, Forever Falling (surely not) or Clear Horizon seems destined to bother me.
This is pretty rough.

ODR - Watch Your Words

Blackbird - Jesus this one is hard, this is my favorite album of all time. It's a no filler album for me. I don't want to pick it, because I usually defend against the hate for the song, but I suppose if I HAD to cut one it would be Break Me Down.

ABIII - Still Remains

Fortress - Cry A River

The Last Hero - Poison In Your Veins

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

ODR - Watch Your Words
Blackbird - Break Me Down
AB3 - Life Must Go On
Fortress - All Ends Well

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

AB4Lyfe wrote:ODR - Watch Your Words
Blackbird - Break Me Down
AB3 - Life Must Go On
Fortress - All Ends Well
Life Must Go on AND All Ends Well?? Man.. bummer. For sure would pick Cry A River over AEW.