Best and worst Alterbridge album

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
sam1oq
Brand New Start

Re: Best and worst Alterbridge album

Post by sam1oq »

A while ago for best I'd have definitely said Fortress, but recently I've noticed I'm enjoying ODR the most actually. It has a very organic mix and it just flows nicely. No filler and bangers only. Definitely their most consistent work imo.

Worst is without a doubt TLH. Mix is awful (it literally hurts my ears) and there are at least five forgettable tracks on it (My Champions, Poison, Losing Patience, etc.). Only redeeming quality of it is that the title track and TSOF are instant top 5 songs (title track's even my favorite AB song in general), and the other non-bland tracks are also all very good. On the whole though it feels like a watered down version of Fortress though, but then with extra Slash and Tremonti (band) influences in the writing (which make it worse actually).

Achilles
Brand New Start

Post by Achilles »

I have found it difficult to rank them, as it seems as though it changes depending on mood. I’ve also attempted to give them all full run-throughs recently, which has reminded me that each album showcases its own specific strength. My top 2 prob sit w/ Bb and Fortress. One specific thing I think would be awesome to take from ODR is keeping an album 10-11 songs. Big fan of the band Thrice and they use this tactic very successfully IMO. Of course, they aren’t juggling other bands, so maybe AB feels that they should always be offering 13+ given the 3 year gaps. But of course, everything’s subjective and while I could prob cut 2-3 off each, I know it would eliminate a fellow AB fan’s favorite. Haha!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

You have to cut one song off every album. Go!

ODR - Watch Your Words. It's a consistently strong album but this is the weakest link.
Blackbird - Break Me Down. Before Tomorrow Comes runs it close, but yeah, it's Break Me. Down.
ABIII - Breathe Again. Get out.
Fortress - Cry a River. It's a shame Outright didn't quite fit the mood of the album, as it's so much better and would've got the album near a perfect 10.
The Last Hero - You Will Be Remembered. No you will not.

Tracks 9/10/11 seem to attract my ire, so one of Pay No Mind, Forever Falling (surely not) or Clear Horizon seems destined to bother me.
For all of the hope that it brings...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ubik wrote:You have to cut one song off every album. Go!

ODR - Watch Your Words. It's a consistently strong album but this is the weakest link.
Blackbird - Break Me Down. Before Tomorrow Comes runs it close, but yeah, it's Break Me. Down.
Fortress - Cry a River. It's a shame Outright didn't quite fit the mood of the album, as it's so much better and would've got the album near a perfect 10.

Tracks 9/10/11 seem to attract my ire, so one of Pay No Mind, Forever Falling (surely not) or Clear Horizon seems destined to bother me.
ODR - Down To My Last
BB - Before Tomorrow Comes
AB3 - Breathe Again
4tress - All Ends Well
TLH - You Will Be Remembered

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

ODR - Down To My Last (Shed My Skin is close too)
BB - Before Tomorrow Comes
AB3 - Make It Right
Fortress - All Ends Well

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

This will be tough because I don't dislike Break Me Down as much as other people, and I actually really like Breathe Again.

One Day Remains - Watch Your Words. It has grown on me a lot, but it would make for a better bonus track.
Blackbird - Break Me Down. Hey what do ya know, I still cut it.
ABIII - Wonderful Life. I really apologize for this one.
Fortress - All Ends Well. Has some good moments, but sounds like it was made for a Disney movie.
The Last Hero - You Will Be Remembered. Peer pressure :lol
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Dropping songs:
ODR - Find The Real (7/10); Myles vocals didn't grab me on this one. The next two in line would be the title track and Burn It Down (8/10)
Blackbird - One By One (7.5/10); Not a bad track just one that isn't as amazing as the others
AB III - All Hope Is Gone/Show Me A Sign (8/10) two solid tracks but they don't quite match up to some of the absolute masterpieces
Fortress - Bleed It Dry/The Uninvited (8/10) - Same as above
TLH - Losing Patience (7.5/10) - fairly bogged down by production.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

ODR - ODR
Blackbird - Coming Home
AB III - Still Remains
Fortress - Addicted to Pain
TLH - My Champion

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

ODR - Open Your Eyes
Blackbird - Before Tomorrow Comes/Watch Over You - This cheesy generic version should never have existed. This song is for acoustic.
ABIII - Breathe again/Ghost of Days Gone By
Fortress - Cry a River

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

ODR - Watch Your Words
Blackbird - Break Me Down
AB III - Breathe Again
Fortress - Cry A River
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

So, I might get an earful...

ODR - Burn It Down
BB - Coming Home
AB III - Still Remains
Fortress - Lover
TLH - Twilight

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

ODR - Watch Your Words
BB - Break Me Down
AB III - Breathe Again
Fortress - Peace Is Broken
TLH - Writing On the Wall

I’ve always thought Blackbird would be even more of a masterpiece if they had cut Break Me Down and Coming Home and replaced them with New Way To Live and The Damage Done.

Also, Lover?! There are two or three relatively weak songs I’d cut way before that. Farther From the Sun, Peace is Broken, Cry A River. I’d even cut Uninvited and Bleed It Dry before Lover.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

There are parts of Lover that I'm okay with, and parts that I'm not. For me, it definitely doesn't start right. That's just me, though.

And I love The Uninvited. For me, it's perhaps their most underappreciated song... because nobody seems to like it. Bleed It Dry is also an incredible piece to me as well. Cry A River is filler, but like Fallout from AB III, I think it's good-sounding filler.

I don't think much of Peace Is Broken or Farther Than the Sun... but they asked for one song to drop, and that's what I chose. I also don't like Waters Rising very much either.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Lover's one of the four untouchables on Fortress for me. And Coming Home is top 5 on Blackbird!

This just goes to show that I'm glad no-one here (except Andy) is in charge of tracklists :D
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote:Lover's one of the four untouchables on Fortress for me. And Coming Home is top 5 on Blackbird!

This just goes to show that I'm glad no-one here (except Andy) is in charge of tracklists :D
There’s a small Break Me Down fanclub around that I’m sure to tick off...lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

ODR - Watch Your Words
Blackbird - One By One/Break Me Down
ABIII - Still Remains/Coeur d’Alene
Fortress - Cry a River
TLH - Twilight/Cradle/You Will Be Remembered

I know I’m pissing a lot of people off with one of these...
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I would fight to the death to keep Coming Home on Blackbird. One of the most underappreciated songs on this board, IMO. I'd put it probably within the top 3 songs on Blackbird, behind Blackbird and Ties That Bind.

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

Best - Blackbird

Worst - AB III

Drop one

ODR - Shed My Skin
BB - Coming Home; Break Me Down is my second favorite AB song. lol
AB III - Coeur d'Alene (tough, because I don't like most of the album)
F - Waters Rising
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

The chorus to Coming Home just feels very awkward and disjointed to me. I actually like the bridge and that unique riff, but the chorus just puts me off. I’d probably remove One By One instead of Coming Home, but it’s close.

Bit.Slade
Brand New Start

Post by Bit.Slade »

ODR - Watch Your Words. Always been meh to me. Skip it every time.
Blackbird - Before Tomorrow Comes. Glad this isn't played live anymore.
ABIII - Make It Right or Breathe Again. Can't pick, equally dislike them.
Fortress - Cry a River. This is like a predecessor to my most hated AB song, which is on TLH.
TLH - Crows on a Wire. The chorus in this song just kills me. The most nasally vocals Myles has ever put on an album, and that chorus makes the nasal super prevalent.

I really wish I could wipe Crows on a Wire from existence lol.