Brian Marshall must go

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Post by Silvercreed »

If the problem is backup vocals. Hire 1 or 2 good singers just for that.. or a choir! :D

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.
Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.
Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.
Dang, why didn't anyone tell this Lars Ulrich back then?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Wait. You're serious?

I do think that bands should consider when they write songs whether they can play them live. As it is, I have no problem with the way Myles handles his vocals on songs including when he occasionally leaves out some of the repeated lines in the outros. Plenty of bands do that. Mandating that a 13 year long lineup changes so someone else can sing an extra line at the end of a handful of songs at best is going about a million miles too far.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

mikeyd23 wrote:
That makes zero sense.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Actually, wasn't there an interview in the ABIII days where they said Brian wanted to sing backup?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
That makes zero sense.
Go on.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
That makes zero sense.
Go on.
Mark started off as a guitar player but then expanded on his artistic expression by singing and he also then expanded by painting. People trying new forms of art is the very definition of artistic expansion. People don't start off as guitarists. They become one. Like they become singers and like they become painters.

It's pretty common for artists to grow tired of a single form of art. i've done this myself. I used to draw a lot myself but then I moved on to poetry, then singing and now I'm writing a book. Brian is perfectly entitled to do they same if he so chooses.

If he wanted to try something new creatively to scratch that itch, like so many others have, I don't see why he can't try. Just because he hasn't sung before doesn't mean he can't start. Mark didn't always sing either. Neither did I.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
That makes zero sense.
Go on.
Mark started off as a guitar player but then expanded on his artistic expression by singing and he also then expanded by painting. People trying new forms of art is the very definition of artistic expansion. People don't start off as guitarists. They become one. Like they become singers and like they become painters.

It's pretty common for artists to grow tired of a single form of art. i've done this myself. I used to draw a lot myself but then I moved on to poetry, then singing and now I'm writing a book. Brian is perfectly entitled to do they same if he so chooses.

If he wanted to try something new creatively to scratch that itch, like so many others have, I don't see why he can't try. Just because he hasn't sung before doesn't mean he can't start. Mark didn't always sing either. Neither did I.
So I could be wrong but I think he was more referring to forcing Brian vs Brian wanting to do it

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Jhenrid wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
That makes zero sense.
Go on.

So I could be wrong but I think he was more referring to forcing Brian vs Brian wanting to do it
Yup

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

mikeyd23 wrote:
Jhenrid wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
That makes zero sense.
Go on.

Yup
Where in my original post, the one you replied to, did I say we should force him?

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Mr. Slash wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
People shit on Lars for St Anger, not realizing he and Kirk have always cowritten songs.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Ubik wrote:I say we go the other way, and rename the band to Alter Brian.
As a fellow Brian, I support this idea. :rockon
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

nagpo wrote: Where in my original post, the one you replied to, did I say we should force him?
I'm making the assumption he'd have to be forced, since you know, he's been a professional musician for nearly 25 years and in those 25 years he's simply been a bass player. Not a singer, not a lyricist. I'm once again assuming if he had the desire to artistically express himself in those ways he would have done so by now, even just in the form of collaboration with Mark and/or Myles.

I guess I just find it baffling that a band that has arguably two of the best rock writers of the past 20 years, not one, but two, have fans that think they need to have the bass player branch out artistically and randomly start singing or writing lyrics. What about Flip? I think Mark and Myles are getting pretty boring on the guitar, I think Flip needs to branch out artistically and play a guitar solo on the next record. Am I doing it right?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

If he want's to I'd like to hear it

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

This whole thing reminds of that one video of AB on the road during the AB III tour where Myles was talking about what's he's been up to (touring with AB and going to work in the studio with Slash) and he joked that he's also going to work on Brian Marshall's solo project where he asked Brian what's it about. Brian then stated that Myles is writing the album and then they made some sort of lipstick joke (I can't recall the last bit of that scene, but it was pretty weird).

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Kreuger wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
People shit on Lars for St Anger, not realizing he and Kirk have always cowritten songs.
I'm not talking about the songwriting, I'm talking about his attempts on background vocals.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Wasn't the lipstick joke about a snow cone?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

"It seems you spent last night dressed up as a woman" :lol :lol

https://youtu.be/Tu8kSI9TWso

I love these guys. I watch it each time I'm down :lol
Watched it literally "forty nine fucking times" and will never get bored by that :D