Brian Marshall must go

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
User avatar
Silvercreed
Bought The CDs
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:54 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby Silvercreed » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:17 am

If the problem is backup vocals. Hire 1 or 2 good singers just for that.. or a choir! :D

nagpo
On The Rail
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby nagpo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:37 am

Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby mikeyd23 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:53 am

nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

User avatar
Mr. Slash
On The Rail
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby Mr. Slash » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 am

mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

Dang, why didn't anyone tell this Lars Ulrich back then?

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 6436
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby gbruin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:37 pm

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Wait. You're serious?

I do think that bands should consider when they write songs whether they can play them live. As it is, I have no problem with the way Myles handles his vocals on songs including when he occasionally leaves out some of the repeated lines in the outros. Plenty of bands do that. Mandating that a 13 year long lineup changes so someone else can sing an extra line at the end of a handful of songs at best is going about a million miles too far.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

nagpo
On The Rail
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby nagpo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:26 pm

mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

That makes zero sense.

User avatar
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void
Posts: 4238
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Mizzou

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby One Drew Remains » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Actually, wasn't there an interview in the ABIII days where they said Brian wanted to sing backup?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby mikeyd23 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 am

nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

That makes zero sense.

Go on.

nagpo
On The Rail
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby nagpo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:55 am

mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

That makes zero sense.

Go on.

Mark started off as a guitar player but then expanded on his artistic expression by singing and he also then expanded by painting. People trying new forms of art is the very definition of artistic expansion. People don't start off as guitarists. They become one. Like they become singers and like they become painters.

It's pretty common for artists to grow tired of a single form of art. i've done this myself. I used to draw a lot myself but then I moved on to poetry, then singing and now I'm writing a book. Brian is perfectly entitled to do they same if he so chooses.

If he wanted to try something new creatively to scratch that itch, like so many others have, I don't see why he can't try. Just because he hasn't sung before doesn't mean he can't start. Mark didn't always sing either. Neither did I.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby Jhenrid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:53 pm

nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

That makes zero sense.

Go on.

Mark started off as a guitar player but then expanded on his artistic expression by singing and he also then expanded by painting. People trying new forms of art is the very definition of artistic expansion. People don't start off as guitarists. They become one. Like they become singers and like they become painters.

It's pretty common for artists to grow tired of a single form of art. i've done this myself. I used to draw a lot myself but then I moved on to poetry, then singing and now I'm writing a book. Brian is perfectly entitled to do they same if he so chooses.

If he wanted to try something new creatively to scratch that itch, like so many others have, I don't see why he can't try. Just because he hasn't sung before doesn't mean he can't start. Mark didn't always sing either. Neither did I.


So I could be wrong but I think he was more referring to forcing Brian vs Brian wanting to do it

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby mikeyd23 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Jhenrid wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

That makes zero sense.

Go on.

Mark started off as a guitar player but then expanded on his artistic expression by singing and he also then expanded by painting. People trying new forms of art is the very definition of artistic expansion. People don't start off as guitarists. They become one. Like they become singers and like they become painters.

It's pretty common for artists to grow tired of a single form of art. i've done this myself. I used to draw a lot myself but then I moved on to poetry, then singing and now I'm writing a book. Brian is perfectly entitled to do they same if he so chooses.

If he wanted to try something new creatively to scratch that itch, like so many others have, I don't see why he can't try. Just because he hasn't sung before doesn't mean he can't start. Mark didn't always sing either. Neither did I.


So I could be wrong but I think he was more referring to forcing Brian vs Brian wanting to do it

Yup

nagpo
On The Rail
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby nagpo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:23 pm

mikeyd23 wrote:
Jhenrid wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

That makes zero sense.

Go on.

Mark started off as a guitar player but then expanded on his artistic expression by singing and he also then expanded by painting. People trying new forms of art is the very definition of artistic expansion. People don't start off as guitarists. They become one. Like they become singers and like they become painters.

It's pretty common for artists to grow tired of a single form of art. i've done this myself. I used to draw a lot myself but then I moved on to poetry, then singing and now I'm writing a book. Brian is perfectly entitled to do they same if he so chooses.

If he wanted to try something new creatively to scratch that itch, like so many others have, I don't see why he can't try. Just because he hasn't sung before doesn't mean he can't start. Mark didn't always sing either. Neither did I.


So I could be wrong but I think he was more referring to forcing Brian vs Brian wanting to do it

Yup

Where in my original post, the one you replied to, did I say we should force him?

Kreuger
Bought The CDs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:33 am

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby Kreuger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Mr. Slash wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

Dang, why didn't anyone tell this Lars Ulrich back then?

People shit on Lars for St Anger, not realizing he and Kirk have always cowritten songs.

User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby TenaciousBe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Ubik wrote:I say we go the other way, and rename the band to Alter Brian.


As a fellow Brian, I support this idea. :rockon
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby mikeyd23 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 am

nagpo wrote:Where in my original post, the one you replied to, did I say we should force him?

I'm making the assumption he'd have to be forced, since you know, he's been a professional musician for nearly 25 years and in those 25 years he's simply been a bass player. Not a singer, not a lyricist. I'm once again assuming if he had the desire to artistically express himself in those ways he would have done so by now, even just in the form of collaboration with Mark and/or Myles.

I guess I just find it baffling that a band that has arguably two of the best rock writers of the past 20 years, not one, but two, have fans that think they need to have the bass player branch out artistically and randomly start singing or writing lyrics. What about Flip? I think Mark and Myles are getting pretty boring on the guitar, I think Flip needs to branch out artistically and play a guitar solo on the next record. Am I doing it right?

nagpo
On The Rail
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby nagpo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:46 pm

If he want's to I'd like to hear it

User avatar
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator
Posts: 8284
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 pm
Location: California

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby anguyen92 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:05 pm

This whole thing reminds of that one video of AB on the road during the AB III tour where Myles was talking about what's he's been up to (touring with AB and going to work in the studio with Slash) and he joked that he's also going to work on Brian Marshall's solo project where he asked Brian what's it about. Brian then stated that Myles is writing the album and then they made some sort of lipstick joke (I can't recall the last bit of that scene, but it was pretty weird).

User avatar
Mr. Slash
On The Rail
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby Mr. Slash » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:26 am

Kreuger wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:Bad thread but I would like to hear Brian sing or write some lyrics just for fun. I'd like to see these guys expand artistically.

Having someone who isn't a singer or lyricist try to sing or write lyrics isn't artistic expansion.

Dang, why didn't anyone tell this Lars Ulrich back then?

People shit on Lars for St Anger, not realizing he and Kirk have always cowritten songs.

I'm not talking about the songwriting, I'm talking about his attempts on background vocals.

User avatar
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void
Posts: 4238
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Mizzou

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby One Drew Remains » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:10 am

Wasn't the lipstick joke about a snow cone?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17

User avatar
Tigra
Isolated
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:26 am

Re: Brian Marshall must go

Postby Tigra » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:27 pm

"It seems you spent last night dressed up as a woman" :lol :lol

https://youtu.be/Tu8kSI9TWso

I love these guys. I watch it each time I'm down :lol
Watched it literally "forty nine fucking times" and will never get bored by that :D


Return to “Alter Bridge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests