Cradle to the Grave vid reaction

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Cradle to the Grave vid reaction

Post by One Drew Remains »

The boys posted the official vid for Cradle today. First thoughts?
Last edited by abw1987 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded video
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Cradle to the Grave vid reaction

Post by Timotheus »

"Here's a live video of a song we've never played before"

A song this personal deserved a way better video. The visuals are great though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I have to say though. For a band that has never played this song live before, the shots in that video sure made it look like they actually played it live.

Now, does this mean they will actually play it live at some point or else why go through the hassle of editing for this particular song?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I really like the video. Yeah it's confusing given they've never played it live before, and it's not going to be on the O2 album, and we don't even know if CTTG is going to be a single... but it's very well shot. I like the black & white format and the mixed slow-motion clips. Gives it a really epic and nostalgic feel.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

That's the most beautiful boring music video i have ever seen.

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Its well shot. Its a good video, but for another song. Doesn't match. This song deserve better.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

It's looking ridiculous, just like every slow motion video out there.

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

I have mixed feelings, actually...

On the one hand, this is art in the technical sense (editing, cutting, synchronising).

On the other, for me there is a mismatch between the shoots and the text itself. The lyrics are pretty nostalgic while what we can see in the video are fans enjoying the gig and AB having fun at their work. But maybe this is also a kind of a message - "seize the day because time is ticking away". B&W shots contribute to the impression.

Or, the simplest explanation, they just wanted to draw the attention of people to the release of material from the O2 gig and this video is just a kind of a teaser.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Timotheus wrote:"Here's a live video of a song we've never played before"

Lol I was wondering why nothing matched the visuals. :lol High production value but yeah, if they just spliced random clips together from different songs what's the point? Agree with Tigra there is some pretty strong mood mismatch with smiling fans for such a somber song.

I'd love them to go back to a music video that tells an artistic story but the only one from them like that that I've seen is Broken Wings. Addicted to Pain was a step in the right direction but just kinda cycled through retro "pain" themed clips instead of telling a story.

I feel like this song was ripe for a video. The soldier angle is kinda low hanging fruit but:
  • First verse they could have had a sequence with a guy in front of his mother's tombstone with a blackbird standing on it then flashbacks of them together
  • The guys on site playing for the chorus
  • Have him with his father in the hospital for the second verse with the implication being he's about to join the mother (blackbird again in hospital window)
  • The guys playing for the 2nd chorus.
  • Cut to the guy turns out to be a solder fighting in a firefight for the bridge/solo. People are dying but we see him kill one "bad guy" in particular with some recognizable scarf or something, maybe have some cool shit where AB is playing in the midst of SFX bullets and shit flying everywhere.
  • AB playing for the 3rd chorus with red water ankle deep with some blackbird feathers in it rushing in across their feet
  • Second half of chorus/first part of outro with the soldier later watching an Afghani (or whoever) kid kneeling next to his dad, the guy the soldier killed earlier
  • Second half of outro, we see the soldier watch a blackbird fly down and land near the kid and dad. Maybe on a building in the near background. We see the look on his face as he sees it. Cut to a visual of him laying down in the sand screaming with the blood and feathers washing over him as he realizes he just gave that kid all the pain he had from the earlier sequences.
Blackbird signifies the death of a parent and is symbolic of AB simultaneously, message and visuals both fit the song, fucked up outro fits well with the mini solo. Idk, someone could probably come up with something better, it's a bit on the nose.

Inb4 "do you know how much that shit costs?"

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Methinks someone at the label likes this one. I do too, as it has my favorite solo since Achilles. I hope they throw it in this leg of the tour.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

Hey Gang,

This video isn't trying to make it seem like the guys are playing the song live - Fans (many from this page) kept saying they wanted to see the footage we shot from the O2 show.... So we wanted to put out a highlight video. The Black and White visual just felt right with this song.

We have some touring coming up where we are changing the set list totally - MAYBE this song will be in there....

Fish Taco - killer story board!

TT

:cheers

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Video looks terrific. I just wish there weren't so many obvious attempts to attempt to match the performance to the song -- it makes the whole thing feel off, and must have been a shit ton of work to edit around. Weird choice for a few shots that kind of distract from the rest of the video.
Last edited by devv88 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

TTournier wrote:We have some touring coming up where we are changing the set list totally - MAYBE this song will be in there....
HYPE!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Awesome. I'd love to hear Poison as well. To energetic a song to not play every now and again.
Altered:

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Isn't CTTG the new single in Europe, or about to be?

I love the video. I realize the shots are not them playing to the song, but that gives it sort of an eerie, uncomfortable, and almost dissonant (or whatever the visual equivalent is) feel to it, which matches the tone of uncertainly and desperation in the lyrics. Being in black and white adds an additional layer of starkness to it.

I can almost imagine that song it with an orchestra...
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

:yeahthat Well said, Gbruin.

And thanks for the insight, Tim. You'll have to forgive the tendency of superfans to over-analyze things! :lol

For anyone who might've missed his comment on Facebook:
(Hope you don't mind me pasting it here, but I thought it provided some good additional context.)
TTournier wrote:Please note, it's not meant to look like they are playing the song live... there is a reason they aren't playing the song live but that's for the band to know. we did put hits and movements to the beat but also have myles without a guitar in the video so it isn't like anyone was trying to pull anything over on ya haha :P

What the song is about vs the power of the black & white visuals - this gig being the bands biggest headline show to date is the point.
We can do a live video from the O2 if we want but we didn't want to do that ( yet ). Call it being an artist I guess..

We could have done a big story board video... blah blah but in 2017 - that's kinda lame. AB are musicians not actors.

Share the moment with the band, their biggest gig to date... killer video work... the band and I felt it was kinda moving.

That being said it was an important night for us... why Cradle? Because we felt it lent itself to the visual so wonderfully.

Just our point of view guys - love it / hate it - at least your talking about it!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Is the reason they aren't playing it live because of the emotion behind it? I can imagine for Myles it would be a tough song to perform.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Is the reason they aren't playing it live because of the emotion behind it? I can imagine for Myles it would be a tough song to perform.
I'm pretty sure it's something along those lines.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

Though this interview with Mark is pretty old (December 2016) and a lot of things could have changed, I thought it might be interesting to you in the topic you're discussing.

(the link is to the exact moment they start talking about that)

https://youtu.be/i2s_sdTwkc4?t=702

(how the hell to insert a youtube video directly on the page??!! :/]

The interviewer asks about the next single (after "My Champion"), suggesting CTTG but Mark replies that it’s a very personal song and it would be difficult for Myles to "go through that every evening" similarly to "In Loving Memory".
They did, however, perform "In Loving Memory" a couple (a dozen?) of times so maybe one day we'll hear CTTG live :)

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

TTournier wrote:Hey Gang,

This video isn't trying to make it seem like the guys are playing the song live - Fans (many from this page) kept saying they wanted to see the footage we shot from the O2 show.... So we wanted to put out a highlight video. The Black and White visual just felt right with this song.

We have some touring coming up where we are changing the set list totally - MAYBE this song will be in there....

Fish Taco - killer story board!

TT

:cheers
:wave :wave Shed My Skin... please! :bow