Royal Albert Hall Setlist/Speculation

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Royal Albert Hall Setlist/Speculation

Post by Andy92 »

BSC wrote:I'm a big fan of the epics, so to hear songs like fortress and the last hero in the rest was superb. I chose not to see AB on their last tour as I simply was not interested most of their last album, or hearing songs like isolation or come to life again. But if they keep a similar set, including multiple longer songs, then this will really elevate their set.
To me this is the big part that made the show so successful. I know they wanted to pick songs that would work well with the special orchestral arrangements, but those are the very songs that show AB at the top of their game.

Songs like Come to Life, Isolation, etc, are fun to play on guitar, but they don't show off the band's fullest potential. There are other bands that do the standard 3-4 minute metal songs way better than AB. But that signature AB sound in songs like Blackbird, Broken Wings, Ghost of Days Gone By, New Way to Live, The End Is Here, Fortress...that's what makes them so special.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I concur. The big takeaway was that the regular stuff that has been played live this whole tour (and the tours prior) was not played at all. Rise Today (their always closing song), Come to Life, Metalingus (Their most well-known song to the mainstream), Isolation (their only #1 active rock hit in the states), Farther Than the Sun, Crows on a Wire, etc. was played throughout The Last Hero Tour and they opted to not take the lazy route and take those songs and plug it with an orchestra arrangements and hope it works and guess what? The Royal Albert Hall show still works really well, even better, without those songs always taking up a song slot.

We all knew that them trying to make a great amount of risk to the setlist and changing the active rock singles-like tracks for the more intricate, deeper, epic tracks would work to their benefit and it did. I know that they will probably go back to the same old same old starting their regular Europe headlining tour, tomorrow, but a little change in their standard 17-19 song formula would not hurt their live set at all so hopefully, they can retain stuff like Fortress, The End is Here, Words Darker Than Their Wings, etc. for the fans that would not have been able to make it to the London shows so that they can feel a certain level of what the crowd in those two nights felt.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

I was flying home to Switzerland yesterday afternoon. Today, one full night after the show, I am still stunned. This show was incredible. The Royal Albert Hall gig was my 8th or 9th concert, but damn, Myles really was as good as never before when I saw them. During ILM, with this phenomenal orchestra, I had tears in my eyes, thinking of my hero passed away, my grandfather. It really was special throughout.

WDTTW, The Last Hero, Fortress, Blackbird, In Loving Memory, This Side Of Fate, The End Is Here and Watch Over You were my personal highlights. I am so glad i did this trip, I will never ever regret it. Besides, I was sitting in a Grand Tier Box, and in the Box next to us, there were Selena, Melanie and the kids - it was pretty funny to see singing along the songs and having a good time :D

Alter Bridge - you did it and gave me the most special night in my life (musically :yes ) :peace

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

anguyen92 wrote:I know that they will probably go back to the same old same old starting their regular Europe headlining tour, tomorrow, but a little change in their standard 17-19 song formula would not hurt their live set at all so hopefully, they can retain stuff like Fortress, The End is Here, Words Darker Than Their Wings, etc. for the fans that would not have been able to make it to the London shows so that they can feel a certain level of what the crowd in those two nights felt.
This is my dream described in words. There is nothing more I could wish for when I see them again and I really hope they will play all those songs during this part of the tour. And given the fact that they have already rehearsed them - why wouldn't they go for that? The only reason would be they want to keep those "live rarities" for very special occasions but it would be a damn pity.

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

I'd also like to say a big thank you to all of you guys who posted your reviews of the RAH gig. I could at least imagine I was there ;)
It’s awesome that they actually made it and that the result was so stunning! (not that I don’t believe in AB but the expectations were so high that it wasn’t too difficult to fall short of them…) Maybe they will do it again one day! :cloud9 [daydreaming mode on ;)]

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

One Drew Remains wrote:Did Myles have any Mylesesque moments between songs? It's not a memorable AB show unless he's being naturally goofy.
As previously mentioned, there was a selfie in broken wings. I personally thought it was off-putting but I generally dislike selfies anyway. Myles was towards the side of the stage, one of the people on the nearby seats went for a fist bump, which was cool, but then Myles got rushed by that portion of the audience.

On stage selfies are for bands like steel panther, not AB in the middle of an orchestral show at royal Albert hall, imo, but I'm sure it's a good photo nonetheless.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

I went to the 2nd night and I can safely say this was the most magical concert I have ever been to. The videos on Youtube give you an idea of how good the orchestra sounded, but most really do not do it justice. If anything I'm just immensely proud to be a fan right now!
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

RedD_33
Brand New Start

Post by RedD_33 »

BSC wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:Did Myles have any Mylesesque moments between songs? It's not a memorable AB show unless he's being naturally goofy.
As previously mentioned, there was a selfie in broken wings. I personally thought it was off-putting but I generally dislike selfies anyway. Myles was towards the side of the stage, one of the people on the nearby seats went for a fist bump, which was cool, but then Myles got rushed by that portion of the audience.

On stage selfies are for bands like steel panther, not AB in the middle of an orchestral show at royal Albert hall, imo, but I'm sure it's a good photo nonetheless.
haha that guy was sat close to me & was made up with his selfie with Myles, showed eveyone in my section!!!

Just to add to what everyone else is saying it truley was an awesome show & the orchestra were great aswell, mega props to Simon Dobson for composing :) Highlights of the night for me were ILM, COA, Fotress & of course Words :rockon

Just to make the whole thing extra special i also got a minute with Myles when he was coming back on stage after the break, as i said we were seated so close to the stage when he saw me standing at the side he came straight over & shoke my hand....i wanted to say something profound to him but totally lost my cool & ended up telling him i loved him haha oh the embarrasment :embarrassed ah well it was an amazing moment anyway

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

on the first night: "i will stop being a clown now and just play another song"
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

anguyen92 wrote:I know that they will probably go back to the same old same old starting their regular Europe headlining tour, tomorrow, but a little change in their standard 17-19 song formula would not hurt their live set at all so hopefully, they can retain stuff like Fortress, The End is Here, Words Darker Than Their Wings, etc. for the fans that would not have been able to make it to the London shows so that they can feel a certain level of what the crowd in those two nights felt.
keep an eye on the upcoming set lists...
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I’ve been refraining from posting my review because I could have, overall, had a better time. I’ve not seen AB live since around 2011 (having been a mega fan from 2004 onwards and seeing them every time they came to the UK) as I got more and more exasperated with poor sound, rushed performances and a [god love him] very very tired sounding Myles.

I was spurred into action to get tickets for this show because of how special an occasion it was going to be. I managed to get a box, directly above the stage and before the concert started I was very pleased that spending that little bit extra resulted in such a great view. Despite my absence from their concerts, AB still hold a very special place in my soul emotionally.

That’s the preface…

Once the concert started, I was extremely disappointed to note that I couldn’t hear a god-damned thing but the orchestra. Myles was just about audible and the drums could be just about heard but nothing else was remotely audible above a messy bass thump. This was highly depressing because clear AB were performing at a level I haven’t seen since maybe 2004 through to 2008. I mean they were seriously on it and Myles was hitting all the notes (I think he only talked like three or four of the lines the whole concert). I missed every guitar solo, including Fortress which would have been a highlight for me.

There was PA speaker set pointing right at us, no more than 20 meters from our box but not a jot of sound was being pumped in our direction. This was, as you can imagine, pretty upsetting. I was at the best concert of AB’s career and I was STILL missing it. I’m not sure whether to blame AB’s sound team or the hall but it’s a lot of money to spend for a sub-par experience.

Mid-way through the second set, I managed to get the manager of the hall to move us to a more distant but front-facing position. The sound was much better but still the same muddy guitar tone that I’ve been used to from live AB all these years. That I can live with and from the end of Brand New Start onwards I could start to enjoy the show.

Anyway, let’s review the performance. I was shocked at how emotional the whole experience was. AB has been a part of my life since my formative years (I was 17 when ODR came out and I became obsessed) and it’s taken years and life experience for some of the songs to take on meaning and I wasn’t quite prepared for it.

In loving memory hit me like a train and always has, so I was ready for the lump in my throat. Ghosts of Days Gone By, however, took me completely by surprise. I was fighting back the tears as it subconsciously pulled me through the end of my youth and all the carefree days before the breakdown of a family unit, the struggles of personal responsibility and the fact that everyone is getting older.

More than anything, I was glad to witness Words Darker Than Their Wings. I’ve always loved the song but now more than ever it resonates. My father has recently estranged from the family and become a born again Christian. I’m an atheist and have been since 18 years old or so (despite a Catholic upbringing and school).

Now, unlike Myles, I’ve never seen my atheism as a burden and in fact it emancipated me personally and I’m very happy. My father, as a newly converted Christian, however, seems to have a desperate need to convert me. I’m perfectly happy for us both to have our views and leave it at that. The song is very reminiscent of this situation and just floored me. The mid-section especially the, “Go. Never to ask why or to fear again.” part had me very emotional. I’m glad Myles and Mark have the courage to sing about issues that other bands wouldn’t touch.

It's great. I'm not a negative person and I'm happy in life but these kinds of deep meaning songs are great cathartic outlets.

It was lovely in general to see such a great set and a clearly very enthused band with a great grandiosity brought to the music with the orchestra. Myles was very emotional at a certain point and they seemed happy to be together. I hope they keep the longer songs in the set because it makes their concert seem like more of an event and keeps them unique.

It was like seeing family. Same old stuff as before pissed me off a bit but I did love what I could hear and I was surprised at just how fresh everything felt emotionally for me. It was like revisiting my slightly younger days…. even though I’m not old yet.

I look forward to actually hearing what I saw when the DVD comes out! Super happy for AB.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Echoing the thanks to all those providing reviews here, and really interesting post there Crumbs, sucks to hear you had those sound problems and glad you managed to get to a better position.

I'd always felt Ghost of Days Gone By had something key missing from it but could never really work out was it was. Who knew it was an orchestra? Took it to another level completely.
For all of the hope that it brings...

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Shame to hear about your mixed experience, Crumbso. It's cool to hear the venue was willing to relocate you, although I can imagine the annoyance would be hard to shake. Glad to hear you ended up having a good time though.
RedD_33 wrote:Just to make the whole thing extra special i also got a minute with Myles when he was coming back on stage after the break, as i said we were seated so close to the stage when he saw me standing at the side he came straight over & shoke my hand....i wanted to say something profound to him but totally lost my cool & ended up telling him i loved him haha oh the embarrasment :embarrassed ah well it was an amazing moment anyway
Hahaha... despite your embarrassment those are the best kinds of moments IMO. :lol

Thanks again to everyone writing reviews! Glad to see so many new members as well. This event has obviously inspired a level of excitement in the AB world that I've not seen in years.

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

Anybody know which part of the concert this picture is from?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

hackingislife wrote:Anybody know which part of the concert this picture is from?

Looks like the very end of Open Your Eyes on Tuesday. Unless he did the same thing on Monday.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Just a thought, but if they were ever to headline Download. This would be the way to do it. Considering they're more reserved than other metal bands this would be how they could make it special.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ The thing is though is that the typical Download crowd would not react the way that the Royal Albert Hall crowds were. They would not react well to a song like Words Darker Than Their Wings or In Loving Memory (plus that song is not really a "heavy" song so some parts of the crowd, that wants Metallica, Iron Maiden, or Slipknot headlining every year would not react well to it.) on a level that it deserved.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's Download, not Wacken... Even during their heaviest songs they're still semi-metal. Might as well play to your strengths and make a spectacle about it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.