ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Post by MidnightToker »

nagpo wrote:Isn't their still like 1 song from ODR that hasn't been released yet or wasn't recorded? I remember hearing a live version of it on youtube but I can't seem to find it. That one was truly great.
Yes, "On My Way Now." It hasn't been released and I'm not sure if they even recorded it. If they did, you'd think it would have been included.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I’m pretty sure it was demoed, just not recorded. Would have loved to hear that track...

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

I can't remember where I read this but I think Mark at one point said he was thinking about using On My Way Now for Tremonti someday. Could be just a rumor but it'd be better than never hearing a finished version at all I guess? :shrug

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Found it on youtube again.
WaywardOne wrote:I can't remember where I read this but I think Mark at one point said he was thinking about using On My Way Now for Tremonti someday. Could be just a rumor but it'd be better than never hearing a finished version at all I guess? :shrug
I would hope not because myles hits some real nice high notes on it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Tim T. clarified a while back that On My Way Now was never recorded. We're probably never going to see a real version of it, but at least someone had a camcorder at that bar that day. Forever indebted to them!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

TenaciousBe wrote:Tim T. clarified a while back that On My Way Now was never recorded. We're probably never going to see a real version of it, but at least someone had a camcorder at that bar that day. Forever indebted to them!
Why do I feel like I know that song so well, then? I guess I have only heard that one version and for some reason that chorus is just stuck in my head.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:Tim T. clarified a while back that On My Way Now was never recorded. We're probably never going to see a real version of it, but at least someone had a camcorder at that bar that day. Forever indebted to them!
Why do I feel like I know that song so well, then? I guess I have only heard that one version and for some reason that chorus is just stuck in my head.
Because it's one of the best songs they ever did, that's why. :)

So. I've been a crummy fan and had never bothered getting a copy of this O2 album, till a few days ago. I can't explain it, but I never really felt drawn/compelled to pick it up, even with the rare ODR tracks on it that we never heard that I always wanted to. I think I was just subconsciously bitter that On My Way Now wasn't included. Well, I saw a copy of it at Walmart over the weekend so I finally picked it up, mostly for those 3 ODR b-sides. I listened to them last night, and on first listen... I hate to say, but I was a bit underwhelmed. I suppose that's why they're b-sides though. On the other hand, I had forgotten how badass The Damage Done and We Don't Care At All are, hadn't heard those songs in a while. Glad I finally picked it up!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Yeah. Those Blackbird B-sides were amazing. Truly baffled as to how they were taken off but Break Me Down made it in. 'New Way to Live' also kicks all kinds of ass.

The only things that I truly long for in life with AB B-sides is a 2003 studio recording of 'On My Way Now' and a studio recording of 'Buried Alive' with the old thumpy intro. I was so excited for that song back in the day because it was amazing when I heard it at the Astoria but then they neutered it with the crappy clean intro.

I also would have liked for 'Ahavo Rhabo Taco Salad' to have been included but I guess technically that's not AB. IIRC though, they did play it live at least once.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Crumbso wrote:I also would have liked for 'Ahavo Rhabo Taco Salad' to have been included but I guess technically that's not AB. IIRC though, they did play it live at least once.
Just curious, but how is it technically not AB? Because there are no vocals? I thought it was released as an Alter Bridge instrumental through Total Guitar or whatever magazine they did that for. I added it to my O2 album on my MP3 player.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I thought it was just a Mark thing and Flip helped out with the drumming?

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Agree about the Blackbird b-sides, agree about the thumpy intro, wildly disagree about Break Me Down. Everyone seems to hate on that song, or think that would be the weak link that would be dropped for one of the b-sides, but I love it. One of my favorite songs on that album. There'd be nothing wrong with just releasing a 15-song album and adding the b-sides as main tracks! :)

I thought of mentioning Ahavo Rabo as well, but I'm guessing that one is property of Total Guitar (though I'm sure they'd license it out for something like this). The full band was indeed in on recording:
Five years ago, after hanging out with Mark Tremonti at Download Festival, TG asked for something we never thought would happen. We're not sure whether it was star-struck adrenaline, too much booze, barefaced cheek or a combination of all three, but we asked the shred-tastic axeman to record an exclusive instrumental track 'for TG readers only.'

Not only did we get a resounding "hell, yeah!" from Tremonti, but he very sportingly got three other members of the band Alter Bridge - drummer Scott Phillips, bassist Brian Marshall and vocalist/guitarist Myles Kennedy - involved as well. The instrumental, 'Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad', was then given away with issue TG143 and the feedback we got from you guys about that sizzlin' instrumental was incredible.
Link: https://www.musicradar.com/totalguitar/ ... ult-278407

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

TenaciousBe wrote:Agree about the Blackbird b-sides, agree about the thumpy intro, wildly disagree about Break Me Down. Everyone seems to hate on that song, or think that would be the weak link that would be dropped for one of the b-sides, but I love it. One of my favorite songs on that album. There'd be nothing wrong with just releasing a 15-song album and adding the b-sides as main tracks! :)

I thought of mentioning Ahavo Rabo as well, but I'm guessing that one is property of Total Guitar (though I'm sure they'd license it out for something like this). The full band was indeed in on recording:
Five years ago, after hanging out with Mark Tremonti at Download Festival, TG asked for something we never thought would happen. We're not sure whether it was star-struck adrenaline, too much booze, barefaced cheek or a combination of all three, but we asked the shred-tastic axeman to record an exclusive instrumental track 'for TG readers only.'

Not only did we get a resounding "hell, yeah!" from Tremonti, but he very sportingly got three other members of the band Alter Bridge - drummer Scott Phillips, bassist Brian Marshall and vocalist/guitarist Myles Kennedy - involved as well. The instrumental, 'Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad', was then given away with issue TG143 and the feedback we got from you guys about that sizzlin' instrumental was incredible.
Link: https://www.musicradar.com/totalguitar/ ... ult-278407
Haha. Horses for courses with Break Me Down. I have a thing that AB albums are too long anyway so I'd cut it down. All three of the B-sides would probably make it in a 40 - 50 minute cut of the album.

Shame about Ahavo. I think it's awesome. More AB instrumentals please! It would really make the rarities album complete.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Ahavo is my least favorite thing they've ever written. It does nothing for me. But I love the other unreleased tracks. I pretty much bought the album for those, although I like the concert too.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

ARTS started out as just something Mark was doing for Total Guitar been then the whole band joined in. It isn't necessarily meant to be a song or AB track, just a shred track for a magazine to use as a lesson.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

But it is an AB rarity..... and I think it's awesome. There's some great techniques in there that Mark doesn't use any more and some nice rhythm changes.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

On a side note, the O2 CD I picked up at Walmart a couple weeks ago, I just realized says "Made in Germany" on the back near the bar code, and the center spindle/holder thing is visible through the back cover (as is sometimes the case with overseas import CDs vs. American printed CDs). Are they all like this, or did I stumble onto a Gernan import disc?

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

Crumbso wrote:I thought it was just a Mark thing and Flip helped out with the drumming?
I thought Brian was playing bass. I could be wrong - someone's going to have to dig that up. But yeah, I do remember it being released as Alter Bridge.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Crumbso wrote:I thought it was just a Mark thing and Flip helped out with the drumming?
I thought Brian was playing bass. I could be wrong - someone's going to have to dig that up. But yeah, I do remember it being released as Alter Bridge.
This was already answered a few posts above: