ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Raven
White Knuckled

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Post by Raven »

anguyen92 wrote:All right, from what I've heard so far on Spotify regarding the live album, I think this is slightly a step up from Wembley. The band sounded a bit fresher, except not so much on Metalingus. Myles sounded slightly better than Wembley, but still not on the highs of Amsterdam. The crowd is slightly better than Wembley, but again not as high as Amsterdam, I feel. The only greatest flaw so far honestly is just that this is not a live DVD. Don't know why they didn't go with it, especially since they have up the production a bit with the visual screens and who knows if they want to use screens again. The only explanation is that they are saving the DVD treatment for the Royal Albert Hall shows, which would make sense, but it's going to overshadow this greatly on hype alone in the first place so they either might as well go DVD or not go with doing any release at all, I feel.

Highlights so far: Cry of Achilles, The Other Side, Watch Over You, Blackbird, and Open Your Eyes (man, 13 years of that song and it being played live is always golden and this version is no exception. Don't know why they don't just have it as the always show closer instead of Rise Today).

So I think, in fairness, after 5.5 years of not having any official live release of anything, this is good enough, and, other than them playing deeper cuts, I don't feel enough of a good hype to make the show better even with the fact that they are playing the largest arena in London. Hopefully, the Royal Albert Hall shows can smash all expectations in all front. For the O2 show, it's a typical AB show in the 2010s. The songs selection and performance are good, but far beyond stale, and they really do need somewhat of a change up in structure in some parts of the show, i.e. the beginning.

The last verse of Watch Over You i may have played a few times on repeat fantastic.I think i agree with your assessment overall,i was impressed with Cry of Achillies,Watch Over You,OpenYour Eyes,Writing On The Wall and Poison all sounded great live imo

Greenster
Brand New Start

Post by Greenster »

I would honestly say that its the best they have sounded out of all the Live CDs released.
Pleasantly surprised. Its the tightest they have sounded and although the weird pronunciation of Myles, his voice sounds superb.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Greenster wrote:I would honestly say that its the best they have sounded out of all the Live CDs released.
Pleasantly surprised. Its the tightest they have sounded and although the weird pronunciation of Myles, his voice sounds superb.

I think pleasantly surprised was my exact reaction

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Anybody else feel like there was an outro solo slotted for "Solace" that never got recorded? It's begging for one.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

devv88 wrote:Anybody else feel like there was an outro solo slotted for "Solace" that never got recorded? It's begging for one.
That's what I'm saying! This already amazing song, would have been so much better with a nice emotional solo. I'm thinking right in between the last chorus, and those final notes Myles sings over the chorus melody. They could have just extended that chorus melody right there, and let Mark go to down. Would have been perfect!

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Hell, even if there was a short little outro solo over Myles last little notes, that would have been awesome.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Hell, even if there was a short little outro solo over Myles last little notes, that would have been awesome.

I haven't heard that or Cruel Sun yet,what are your thoughts on those 2?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Solace just kicked my ass, oh Lordy.

alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Post by alterchris »

I already owned Breathe as it was included in the Last Hero Best Buy exclusive. I spent the $16 exclusively for the other rarities (Solace, Cruel Sun & The Damage Done). Glad I did. Solace is my fave of the bunch... love the chorus, bridge and transition to the mellow acoustic piece.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Yea I just did the same, but I think it was worth it, Solace is a really great track, better than Breathe to my ears. Plus it'll be nice to have all of these bsides on my phone now.
Thanks Timo!

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Solace is downright incredible. I'm really enjoying Cruel Sun as well, but Solace blew my mind last night (I ordered the album from Google Play at midnight). I wasn't too excited for the live album itself but there are a couple performances that are pretty strong. It's nice to hear Cry of Achilles without the vocal effects on the pre-verse section, and the chorus sounds less empty than I thought it would without the vocal harmonies. For any live songs from ODR or Blackbird, though, I'd rather just listen to Amsterdam personally.

But going back to Solace again... just wow. Such a great vocal performance on Myles' part, and just so much raw passion in the band as a whole. That's what I really miss from these guys.

BMus1
Brand New Start

Post by BMus1 »

Also anyone notice Save Me was excluded from the Rarities? I would've also liked to see a remixed version of Taco Salad, but Save Me surprised me since it's from album sessions and not a one-off.
Last edited by abw1987 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not request sharing copyrighted material on our forums!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Guesswork - Save Me having been on a compilation album made retrieving the rights trickier, or alternatively they had to buy back each track individually and it wasn't seen as worth the expense for something that we'd all heard before anyway.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

BMus1 wrote:Also anyone notice Save Me was excluded from the Rarities? I would've also liked to see a remixed version of Taco Salad, but Save Me surprised me since it's from album sessions and not a one-off.
A remixed version of Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad would have been sick. That song is great, but the mix is definitely the weak spot.

BMus1
Brand New Start

Post by BMus1 »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
BMus1 wrote:Also anyone notice Save Me was excluded from the Rarities? I would've also liked to see a remixed version of Taco Salad, but Save Me surprised me since it's from album sessions and not a one-off.
A remixed version of Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad would have been sick. That song is great, but the mix is definitely the weak spot.
It's pretty much the sole reason it's not in my library right now. It sounds more like a random jam from a soundboard based on the mix, even though you can tell there was some work put into it.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

I always assumed I'd be able to purchase the rarities disc (or all three discs) digitally, but I see the third disc is not available in MP3. Am I correct about that? Ideally, I'd just like to purchase Solace and Cruel Sun for $1.29 each since I've already bought the other songs on previous discs, but I'd be willing to pay for all three discs digitally if it meant not having to drive 30 minutes to the nearest Walmart or Best Buy.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

MidnightToker wrote:I always assumed I'd be able to purchase the rarities disc (or all three discs) digitally, but I see the third disc is not available in MP3. Am I correct about that? Ideally, I'd just like to purchase Solace and Cruel Sun for $1.29 each since I've already bought the other songs on previous discs, but I'd be willing to pay for all three discs digitally if it meant not having to drive 30 minutes to the nearest Walmart or Best Buy.
You can buy the full album on iTunes (at least in the US). The rarities disc isn't available for individual purchase, but it is included if you buy the entire album.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Oh c'mon the rarities ain't on spotify :(
I'm too broke to buy the album.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

So anybody knows what's so special about the HMV exclusive vinyl version ? The website just says it's exclusive without telling why..............strange.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

I pre-ordered mine through AB's website over a month ago. Of course it hasn't shipped yet :(