ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Post by WaywardOne »

mpurgar wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:I know I'm incredibly late to the party but now that my earbook has finally arrived, I have to say that I am so impressed with the live album. Compared to Amsterdam and Wembley, O2 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of how they used to perform and Myles gave 110%. Super happy about this.
I was just wondering, since I'm considering ordering the Earbook edition, what did you think about it? Worth it in your opinion or is it better to pass? It seems pretty cool but I'm torn because it's almost 50€ whereas the regular CD's are 20(?) or so...
I think it's worth it... keep in mind it comes with the 2 live CDs, the rarities disc, and the documentary, which you don't get with most of the other packages. The book just has a bunch of pictures from the show and lyrics from all the songs, but it's big and very well done. I keep it out on display in my living room for all to see!

mpurgar
Brand New Start

Post by mpurgar »

WaywardOne wrote:
mpurgar wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:I know I'm incredibly late to the party but now that my earbook has finally arrived, I have to say that I am so impressed with the live album. Compared to Amsterdam and Wembley, O2 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of how they used to perform and Myles gave 110%. Super happy about this.
I was just wondering, since I'm considering ordering the Earbook edition, what did you think about it? Worth it in your opinion or is it better to pass? It seems pretty cool but I'm torn because it's almost 50€ whereas the regular CD's are 20(?) or so...
I think it's worth it... keep in mind it comes with the 2 live CDs, the rarities disc, and the documentary, which you don't get with most of the other packages. The book just has a bunch of pictures from the show and lyrics from all the songs, but it's big and very well done. I keep it out on display in my living room for all to see!
Pretty much what I've figured, yeah. Will order it tonight, thanks :D

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

I haven't heard much about the documentary that comes with O2 album. Is it any good? How long is it? Deciding whether or not to order the physical version too.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

It's pretty short, maybe 30 min I think and it's mostly just about the O2 show. I thought it was cool though, worth seeing.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Is there yet any means to buy those two songs separately? This is the worst thing AB has ever done.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

No it isn't. Remember the box set fiasco.
By the way, those two ODR songs are pretty cool, even though I wouldn't have wanted them on the actual album back in 2004.

mpurgar
Brand New Start

Post by mpurgar »

nagpo wrote:This is the worst thing AB has ever done.
If you had the access to all the extra song and you don't want the live by no means at all, sure.

For someone like me, who didn't really have access to special editions with the extra songs, this is pretty good. I barely managed to get the AB III.5 and the extra song from the last album because of the box set that was available in Europe.

TBH I find this pretty good, especially considering you get the live album as well.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Got Live at 02 arena album.

Did not see songwriting credits for Solace, Breathe, Cruel Sun?

Do we know who contributed thos those?

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Those are from ODR so they'll probably be mostly Mark

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

Finally got my 02 album.

Loved all the B-Sides. Wish they could have spent more time mastering the new ones, but I'll take it. I could definitely hear the generation they came from in the lyrics and tonality.

I did not like the live album. I feel like it was a step back from Amsterdam.
Maybe it's just that I didn't really like The Last Hero that much and there was a lot of representation from that album, but I felt like the whole set was a muddy mess. Myles's voice was clearly strained for most of it, and Mark's tone was way too crunch in that it was hard to make out what he was playing a lot of the time. In general regards to tone, I don't know what Mark's been doing the last few years but I'm just not diggin it.
On the flip side (pun intended), I love that they finally keep time well and don't rush songs anymore :D Metalingus was great this way. Flip is kickin ass.
:yeahthat

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Metalingus sound fucking horrible with one guitar. I don't get why Myles doesn't play it. He plays some songs from that album. And I mean they have harder songs to play that he does while singing. It just irks me so much. Actually that song stood out as a bad one vocally too. I still enjoy the album though.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Kreuger wrote:Metalingus sound fucking horrible with one guitar. I don't get why Myles doesn't play it. He plays some songs from that album. And I mean they have harder songs to play that he does while singing. It just irks me so much. Actually that song stood out as a bad one vocally too. I still enjoy the album though.
Cause there is originally only one guitar track in the song and there are no parts that are overdubbed. He does play guitar in one-guitar songs like Open Your Eyes and Burn it Down but the problem with Metalingus from O2 is the shitty mix and horrible Mark's tone.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Dolo wrote: but the problem with Metalingus from O2 is the shitty mix and horrible Mark's tone.
Yep. He needs to get rid of the Wah-pedal during that song. Same goes for One Day Remains.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

I have a hard time believing the album has no overdubs. It sounds very full. Where did you hear that

Edit: Ok maybe I remembered incorrectly. I guess it is just one.
Scott Stapp:

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Kreuger wrote:I have a hard time believing the album has no overdubs. It sounds very full. Where did you hear that

Edit: Ok maybe I remembered incorrectly. I guess it is just one.
The album mostly definitely has a overdub on the guitar; at least one track playing the same part. You don't get that kind of sound on a studio album without it. I think "overdub" was just the wrong choice of words. There's no second guitar part, which is why Myles doesn't play. (on top of the fact that playing Metalingus and singing it at the same time would be pretty challenging)

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Jaded Rescue wrote: I think "overdub" was just the wrong choice of words. There's no second guitar part, which is why Myles doesn't play. (on top of the fact that playing Metalingus and singing it at the same time would be pretty challenging)
Yes, that's what I meant. And the fact that Myles' guitar is panned to one side and Mark's to the other on live recordings makes things sound even worse, cause when Myles is not playing you're hearing only one side.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

I prefer that in a way though. I like being able to clearly hear who is playing what.
Scott Stapp:

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Is there anywhere that the guys talk about the meanings for the rare songs?
Scott Stapp:

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I finally bought this. I didn't want the album I just wanted the two unreleased songs but I finally caved. So I listened to the first two discs, the live stuff, and I guess I liked it. But I would have liked it more if it was a blu-ray movie. The entire time I was listening I was wanting to see the band.

On Solace and Cruel Sun, it's nice that they've finally been released but it's clear why they weren't on the first record. Not the best. Solace was the better of the two. My AB collection is complete once again.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I was also disapointed with the booklet because it came with nothing interesting. Not even lyrics for the two new songs. But I just relistened to solace and cruel sun and like them more now. They aren't bad. I like the more than some of the TLH songs, which further establishes that record as their worst. Makes me kind of happy that the band is taking a break. Maybe when they get back together in the future the time apart will add to their artistry and creativity and create a better record.

Isn't their still like 1 song from ODR that hasn't been released yet or wasn't recorded? I remember hearing a live version of it on youtube but I can't seem to find it. That one was truly great.