ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Raven
White Knuckled

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Post by Raven »

chtimixeur wrote:1997-1999 Stapp > 2010-2017 Myles (IMHO)
Lol no

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Timotheus wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:1997-1999 Stapp > 2010-2017 Myles (IMHO)
Myles's voice was really strong in 2013-2014. I'd agree with you if we were talking about the AB III era only.

I wouldn't 'Words Darker than their Wings' vs anything Stapp did,and yes i have every Creed cd also Stapp's solo album.Scott had a big voice yes but that doesn't make it a great voice,i swear thats how some people differentiate singers which is just …… absurd.Myles sings with a reflective emotion on nearly every song which not many are able to do.For example White Knuckles,Find The Real,Metalingus aggression .Slip To the void,The Other Side a real ominous dark tone that reflects the lyrics.Wonderful Life,Cradle To The Grave,In Loving Memory,Blackbird sorrow.I could go on but to me Myles does this better than anyone

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@Raven: live, it's not even a contest.
Myles is a very average live singer who keeps using tricks to save his voice ("that's tight!"), and he's not much of a frontman (who told him to wave his hand in the air?).
Stapp's just got that "x factor" when it comes to performing, and in the first Creed years, he was simply a beast on stage.
Don't mistake me : both guys have got skills of their own.
Stapp is a better performer and a better writer.
Myles is a more gifted singer with an incredible tone and lots of nuances, and he's a great guitar player. He was an exceptional studio singer back in the day, and as much as I hate what Elvis is doing to his voice, he's still pretty strong.
They're just different singers, with different skills, and I don't see why one can't love them both.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

All of this is so subjective anyway, it's kind of a pointless debate/discussion to have. I freaking love Max Collins from Eve 6. Can the guy sing well, technically? Hell no. But I connect with him emotionally for some reason and his singing gets way more out of me than Myles has in the last 5 years. Comparing Stapp to Myles is like comparing how well a submarine can hide underwater to how well an airplane can do loop-de-loops.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

For anyone that cares. An unboxing of the vinyl records of the package is on Napalm's channel. I liked the artwork.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Jaded Rescue wrote:All of this is so subjective anyway, it's kind of a pointless debate/discussion to have. I freaking love Max Collins from Eve 6. Can the guy sing well, technically? Hell no. But I connect with him emotionally for some reason and his singing gets way more out of me than Myles has in the last 5 years. Comparing Stapp to Myles is like comparing how well a submarine can hide underwater to how well an airplane can do loop-de-loops.
Dude, Eve 6 is fantastic. Leech is still one of my favorite songs ever. :)
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

TenaciousBe wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:All of this is so subjective anyway, it's kind of a pointless debate/discussion to have. I freaking love Max Collins from Eve 6. Can the guy sing well, technically? Hell no. But I connect with him emotionally for some reason and his singing gets way more out of me than Myles has in the last 5 years. Comparing Stapp to Myles is like comparing how well a submarine can hide underwater to how well an airplane can do loop-de-loops.
Max Collins is a freaking poet. Haha. Their music may not seem like it on the surface all the time, but it's like the guy does open heart surgery on himself on every song. He just lays it all out there.

Myles used to do that, and I really miss that.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:
Max Collins is a freaking poet. Haha. Their music may not seem like it on the surface all the time, but it's like the guy does open heart surgery on himself on every song. He just lays it all out there.

True, and I love Eve 6's older stuff.

But their latest album? The poetry somehow turned super cheesy...

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

PRS10Top wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:

True, and I love Eve 6's older stuff.

But their latest album? The poetry somehow turned super cheesy...
You're referring to Speak in Code, right? I would partially agree. It doesn't bother me much, but it definitely isn't the same quality as their older stuff.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

Jaded Rescue wrote: You're referring to Speak in Code, right? I would partially agree. It doesn't bother me much, but it definitely isn't the same quality as their older stuff.
I sure am. Love the band, just disappointed in that album, lyrically speaking.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Blackbird got released yesterday on spotify and Itunes

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

chtimixeur wrote:@Raven: live, it's not even a contest.
Myles is a very average live singer who keeps using tricks to save his voice ("that's tight!"), and he's not much of a frontman (who told him to wave his hand in the air?).
Stapp's just got that "x factor" when it comes to performing, and in the first Creed years, he was simply a beast on stage.
Myles is a more gifted singer with an incredible tone and lots of nuances, and he's a great guitar player. He was an exceptional studio singer back in the day, and as much as I hate what Elvis is doing to his voice, he's still pretty strong.
They're just different singers, with different skills, and I don't see why one can't love them both.

I think Stapp's live stick is cheesy as hell and when i saw him he sucked live also check the Creed Dvd.Myles weakest vocal performance for me was live from Wemberly and it was still a long way better then Stapp.Myles is still a fantastic singer This Side of Fate,Calm The Fire,Cradle To the Grave,Starlight,Lover and Battlefield some fairly recent examples.His voice in Cry of Achillies is unbelievably underrated my vocal coach always points to that and Find The Real for examples on why Myles is an incredible singer

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

chtimixeur wrote:@Raven: live, it's not even a contest.

https://youtu.be/bHlTHoDcgwA

Sounds bloody good to me,this was 3 months ago

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lol, "that's tight".
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Raven wrote:I think Stapp's live stick is cheesy as hell and when i saw him he sucked live also check the Creed Dvd.Myles weakest vocal performance for me was live from Wemberly and it was still a long way better then Stapp.
I agree the 2009 Creed DVD was dreadful.
The Alter Bridge show in Amsterdam was also a disaster.
Stapp's voice was shot, but he was still trying to sing, whereas Myles was drunk and talk-singing half the words (plus a couple of "that's right" in every song).

Stapp may be cheesy at times, I can't deny that. But he's still got a lot of charisma on stage, and he always manages to make a connection with the audience. Myles is a bit dorkier, and he doesn't have that larger than life presence that rock stars used to have decades ago.
Raven wrote: https://youtu.be/bHlTHoDcgwA

Sounds bloody good to me,this was 3 months ago
He sounds very good for the most part, even though his voice is nasal at times, and he doesn't really go for the big note at the end.
Also, he briefly talks after a minute or so, and he can't help but say "that"s right" at one moment.
Timotheus wrote:Lol, "that's tight".
:facepalm
LOL indeed.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

So instead of doing the reasonable thing and releasing a b-side like Solace, they release the live version of Blackbird on iTunes.

Dats some bull.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:

So I'll admit I haven't seen anything from Eve 6 in a while, so I went looking for live videos on YouTube. Agreed that there's a buttload of passion there in the performances, very cool to see! I'll have to check out some of their later releases.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

facelessman07 wrote:So instead of doing the reasonable thing and releasing a b-side like Solace, they release the live version of Blackbird on iTunes.

Dats some bull.
At least, it sounds pretty good and, of course, the crowd is naturally into it. I like the version. I think 2 out of 3 tracks (Metalingus was not really up to par sadly) before the release date sounded good to me on this release.

Also, I don't think if it was the phone recording or if this version took place at another show, but I could have sworn Myles was doing his a-weeee pronunciation in the O2 Arena show from what I heard at a video recording.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

anguyen92 wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:So instead of doing the reasonable thing and releasing a b-side like Solace, they release the live version of Blackbird on iTunes.

Dats some bull.
At least, it sounds pretty good and, of course, the crowd is naturally into it. I like the version. I think 2 out of 3 tracks (Metalingus was not really up to par sadly) before the release date sounded good to me on this release.

Also, I don't think if it was the phone recording or if this version took place at another show, but I could have sworn Myles was doing his a-weeee pronunciation in the O2 Arena show from what I heard at a video recording.
At the risk of being flamed, I think Myles is pretty bad live for the most part. You won't catch me listening to a live track from AB.

However, I will give props to you on your avatar. I have a corgi.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

facelessman07 wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:

Dats some bull.

At the risk of being flamed, I think Myles is pretty bad live for the most part. You won't catch me listening to a live track from AB.

However, I will give props to you on your avatar. I have a corgi.
No flame here. I think the problem is the escalation of his voice over the years. If he wants to sing higher, that's fine, but I think that kind of stuff works better with Slash / the 80s hard rock vibe. I think there needs to be a little more low-end and meatiness (for lack of a better word) behind an AB vocal. I'm not saying he has to be a bass or anything, but his voice from ODR to Blackbird fit the band's sound a lot better than what he's doing now.

Also, as a singer myself, I can totally understand why he changes some of his vocal placement to save his voice night after night. That said, singing the line "save yourself" where "save" sounds like it rhymes with "jive" is just stupid.