ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cajmoyper
Bought The CDs
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby cajmoyper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 4049
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby Ubik » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Bring back Fallout-era Myles!
And if you fall, at least you tried
As you tremble on the wire...

User avatar
facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 am

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby facelessman07 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:24 pm

cajmoyper wrote:Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.


I disagree that he's the best rock singer there is.

Is that a justifiable reason to fight someone? Differing opinions?

Musical taste and inclinations are all subjective. That's why all those "this band is better than this band" statements are ludicrous.

User avatar
Mr. Slash
On The Rail
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby Mr. Slash » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:17 pm

cajmoyper wrote:Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

No one is really disagreeing to what you said lol.

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby cajmoyper » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:39 am

facelessman07 wrote:
cajmoyper wrote:Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.


I disagree that he's the best rock singer there is.

Is that a justifiable reason to fight someone? Differing opinions?

Musical taste and inclinations are all subjective. That's why all those "this band is better than this band" statements are ludicrous.


It's hyperbole. I'm not much of a fighter anyway. If you're going to disagree then you have to give your top dude. :headbang

Raven
White Knuckled
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby Raven » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:19 pm

cajmoyper wrote:Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.



Myles will always be my fav in fact if anything he has added more to his bag of tricks.He wasn't singing stuff like Calm The Fire in his M4 day or Words Darker than their Wings,or This Side of Fate.Im starting to think people believe big low register voice = great voice but tend to ignore the subtle stuff that for me Myles is the King at.Also people asking for Myles to bring back the Fallout era voice what do you think Lover is?

User avatar
facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 am

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby facelessman07 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 am

cajmoyper wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:
cajmoyper wrote:Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.


I disagree that he's the best rock singer there is.

Is that a justifiable reason to fight someone? Differing opinions?

Musical taste and inclinations are all subjective. That's why all those "this band is better than this band" statements are ludicrous.


It's hyperbole. I'm not much of a fighter anyway. If you're going to disagree then you have to give your top dude. :headbang


Keeping consistent with the premise that musical taste & inclinations are subjective...

If you would've asked me five years ago, I would've said Adam Gontier. However, I'm extremely underwhelmed with his vocals in Saint Asonia. Extremely.

I absolutely love the voice of Caleb Oliver, which most on this board have never heard of. Dude could blow you away with his passion. John Cooper & Jared Leto also have to be in that discussion. Stephan Jenkins in the 90's was also something to behold.

Lest I be negligent and forget to mention John Frusciante, who is my favorite guitarist and slightly ahead of Tremonti. Although in his heyday he was a background vocalist, his solo albums up till 2008 really show the variance and intricate manipulation he could perform with his voice.

It really is hard to just pick one. I can honestly say that had Myles stuck to his ODR vox throughout the duration of AB's catalogue, he'd be in that conversation without a doubt. Had Stapp not ruined his voice, he'd also be a mention.

I suppose the technical aspect of music matters less to me than the originality of one's voice. You can have range for days, but if that's all you have, do you really have anything?

Raven
White Knuckled
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby Raven » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:24 am

facelessman07 wrote:
cajmoyper wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:
cajmoyper wrote:Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.


I disagree that he's the best rock singer there is.

Is that a justifiable reason to fight someone? Differing opinions?

Musical taste and inclinations are all subjective. That's why all those "this band is better than this band" statements are ludicrous.


It's hyperbole. I'm not much of a fighter anyway. If you're going to disagree then you have to give your top dude. :headbang


Keeping consistent with the premise that musical taste & inclinations are subjective...

If you would've asked me five years ago, I would've said Adam Gontier. However, I'm extremely underwhelmed with his vocals in Saint Asonia. Extremely.

I absolutely love the voice of Caleb Oliver, which most on this board have never heard of. Dude could blow you away with his passion. John Cooper & Jared Leto also have to be in that discussion. Stephan Jenkins in the 90's was also something to behold.

Lest I be negligent and forget to mention John Frusciante, who is my favorite guitarist and slightly ahead of Tremonti. Although in his heyday he was a background vocalist, his solo albums up till 2008 really show the variance and intricate manipulation he could perform with his voice.

It really is hard to just pick one. I can honestly say that had Myles stuck to his ODR vox throughout the duration of AB's catalogue, he'd be in that conversation without a doubt. Had Stapp not ruined his voice, he'd also be a mention.

I suppose the technical aspect of music matters less to me than the originality of one's voice. You can have range for days, but if that's all you have, do you really have anything?




U lost me at Stapp.I was a Creed fan but he is nowhere near Myles at any stage

chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby chtimixeur » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:26 am

1997-1999 Stapp > 2010-2017 Myles (IMHO)

User avatar
AB4Lyfe
Achilles
Posts: 5665
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Location: My 'Fortress' is in Seattle, WA

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby AB4Lyfe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:14 am

Oh fuck here we go.
Image

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 4049
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby Ubik » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 am

AB4Lyfe wrote:Oh fuck here we go.

It's not the Batsignal, it's the Stappsignal.
And if you fall, at least you tried
As you tremble on the wire...

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby cajmoyper » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:49 pm

...Stapp...Image

User avatar
facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 am

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby facelessman07 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Raven wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:
cajmoyper wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:
cajmoyper wrote:Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.


I disagree that he's the best rock singer there is.

Is that a justifiable reason to fight someone? Differing opinions?

Musical taste and inclinations are all subjective. That's why all those "this band is better than this band" statements are ludicrous.


It's hyperbole. I'm not much of a fighter anyway. If you're going to disagree then you have to give your top dude. :headbang


Keeping consistent with the premise that musical taste & inclinations are subjective...

If you would've asked me five years ago, I would've said Adam Gontier. However, I'm extremely underwhelmed with his vocals in Saint Asonia. Extremely.

I absolutely love the voice of Caleb Oliver, which most on this board have never heard of. Dude could blow you away with his passion. John Cooper & Jared Leto also have to be in that discussion. Stephan Jenkins in the 90's was also something to behold.

Lest I be negligent and forget to mention John Frusciante, who is my favorite guitarist and slightly ahead of Tremonti. Although in his heyday he was a background vocalist, his solo albums up till 2008 really show the variance and intricate manipulation he could perform with his voice.

It really is hard to just pick one. I can honestly say that had Myles stuck to his ODR vox throughout the duration of AB's catalogue, he'd be in that conversation without a doubt. Had Stapp not ruined his voice, he'd also be a mention.

I suppose the technical aspect of music matters less to me than the originality of one's voice. You can have range for days, but if that's all you have, do you really have anything?




U lost me at Stapp.I was a Creed fan but he is nowhere near Myles at any stage


Music tastes are subjective, correct?

I mean, I pretty much stated that before. Twice.

I'm not going to throw out the sales and number of fans argument, but instead I'm operating under the presupposition that different folks like different things. No one is objectively better than the other. And no amount of wishing can make it so.

Listen, I'm a huge fan of Myles, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned his vox during the ODR era. But I give what I consider fair criticism and some fans begin to get defensive based on insecurities. And here we are on a rabbit trail when all I did was give an honest opinion. Why is that?

User avatar
facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 am

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby facelessman07 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:22 pm

chtimixeur wrote:1997-1999 Stapp > 2010-2017 Myles (IMHO)


Oh yeah, I can get behind this. I share that opinion. So do the millions of fans that made them the biggest band in the world for that short amount of time. But just because more folks agree on something doesn't make it objectively right. All objectivity is thrown out the window when discussing non-truths, such as tastes in music.

However, we're on an AB board, and you'll catch hate for that. Which is understandable. Had the argument been reversed and on a Creed board, you'd be getting flak from those fans.

Just the way it is. And that's fine.

User avatar
facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 am

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby facelessman07 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Anyway, I'm ready for Solace to get released. Hopefully this week.

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 16363
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby Timotheus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:36 pm

chtimixeur wrote:1997-1999 Stapp > 2010-2017 Myles (IMHO)

Myles's voice was really strong in 2013-2014. I'd agree with you if we were talking about the AB III era only.
Image

User avatar
Mr. Slash
On The Rail
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby Mr. Slash » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Myles kinda sucked on Apocalyptic Love. Okay, that's basically all the Myles hate I can pull off.

chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby chtimixeur » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:14 pm

See, the thing is they're both some of my favourite singers ever.
Myles's voice from 1995 to 2004 was beautiful and full of nuances that I don't here anymore. Even in Lover or This Side of Fate, it's just not the same for me.
Stapp, on the other hand, was a shadow of his former self in 2009-2010, and it was sad to hear him butcher songs night after night. His voice has gotten stronger in the last couple of years, and he can shine here and there on the softer tunes, but it's still nowhere near as strong as it used to be. I mean, what he did live and in the studio from 1997 to early 2000 was astonishing.

@Timotheus : actually, some of the rare vocal performances I genuinely enjoy from Myles after 2007 are on ABIII (Breathe Again and Words Darker Than Their Wings). Technically, he's still a very good singer, no one can deny that, but most of the time, his voice doesn't move me anymore.

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 16363
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby Timotheus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:26 pm

chtimixeur wrote:@Timotheus : actually, some of the rare vocal performances I genuinely enjoy from Myles after 2007 are on ABIII (Breathe Again and Words Darker Than Their Wings). Technically, he's still a very good singer, no one can deny that, but most of the time, his voice doesn't move me anymore.

Oh yea, he sounded great on AB III. The verses of All Hope Is Gone or Life Must Go On come to mind. I was mostly talking about his live performances.

On Fortress he started including his new "live voice" on a few songs, but I thought he used it well on that album. I think The Last Hero is the first album where he disappointed me vocally (while still sounding great on a lot of songs).
Image

User avatar
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void
Posts: 4515
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Mizzou

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Postby One Drew Remains » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:44 am

I did enjoy Stapp on those first two records. But he and Myles are like comparing apples to oranges.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19


Return to “Alter Bridge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests