Royal Albert Hall DVD

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: Royal Albert Hall DVD

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Nope. You're not alone there, bud.

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

It's going to be a perfect show. i'm starting to hear arrangements in my head, and i already getting some chills.
So jealous of those who go to the show.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I really hope they do commit to playing a long set (like 2+ hours) with no opening acts for both shows.

I like the 100 minute headlining sets and all, but those sets are getting pretty darn stale to oblivion and this idea of playing with an orchestra demands boldness and uniqueness. Hopefully, the announcement lives up to what it states and they will play songs never before played live. If they play Fallout and Twilight in this format, I'm all for it of course.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

I'm sooo up for this. Tempted to go for the 2nd show...as this has a chance of being more special that the first night. Just a hunch.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

This is going to just be massive. The orchestra, the venue, songs they've never done before. What an incredible event. I'm forever saying that Alter Bridge deserves more success and recognition for their work and for who they are, so good for them for getting to do something this special.

I already know I can't go to this - I'm going to be doing a 4 day disaster drill in Indiana those days. :pout I would seriously consider buying a ticket just to have one, but that wouldn't be cool to those who could actually go, because I'm sure this will sell out in a hurry. Guess I'll just preorder whatever recordings and merch they put out for this. Oh, to actually be there though...
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

"The Parallax Orchestra conducted by Simon Dobson"

So I'm guessing the orchestra will be in charge of writing their sections. I wonder if even songs like Metalingus will get an accompaniment or what could even be heard over the guitars in songs like Isolation.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Fish Tacos wrote:"The Parallax Orchestra conducted by Simon Dobson"

So I'm guessing the orchestra will be in charge of writing their sections. I wonder if even songs like Metalingus will get an accompaniment or what could even be heard over the guitars in songs like Isolation.
Probably will be arranged by this Simon Dobson guy, typically the conductor for these sorts of things at least has a hand in the arrangements. See Michael Kamen on S&M.

Also if they don't accompany ever single song, that would be silly.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Someone on Ao12 just posted about finding this Twitter post from over a month ago:
parallaxorch wrote:Stuff is happening. @Peacekidxxx started work on a major new project. #secret #newmusic #orchestra

Source: https://twitter.com/parallaxorch/status ... 3711071234

@Peacekidxxx is Simon Dobson, the conductor, and if you zoom in on the photo, the title bar on the sheet music editing software appears to say "Cry of Achilles". Pretty crazy that this was teased all those months ago and no one caught on! Regardless, it sounds like the set list has already been determined, at least partially.

I wonder what their rehearsal schedule will look like. Maybe they'll do some rehearsals in the days leading up to the show, and use the first night as kind of a practice run. If so, I'm sure they'll film both nights and primarily use the second night for the DVD, but fill in any gaps/mistakes with performances from the first night.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Cry of Achilles w the orchesta and choir... thats gonna be superb.
Thanks Timo!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Would loooove Fortress to be done. That melodic bridge with strings doing the harmonising above Myles :cloud9
For all of the hope that it brings...

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Yeah I hope they do all the "epic" tracks. Fortress, TLH, Words, Cry, TSOF, Blackbird of course. ILM would be cool since the original version has some strings in the background.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Blackbird (song) has the potential to be absolutely legendary with the orchestra.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Calm The Fire and Slip The Void with orchestra :cloud9
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

PascalM
Brand New Start

Post by PascalM »

What about The End is Here with that awesome main tune on strings? I think that Most ODR songs will sound good with an Orchestra anyway, since these songs don't sound so full or overproduced like the later records

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

So i am still the only one, who is rather scetpical about this topic? Putting together Metal/Rock music and some string ensembles always makes people think that their favorite band's music suddenly became some new Beethoven shit. And these "fans" know how to transport this feeling on the internet. Pls AB Fans, don't be such asstards once the DVD is out. And pls AB, make some cool DVD out of that Royal Albert Hall concert.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I'm skeptical about the concept as well since I'm not a huge fan of orchestras and they are expensive.

However, if this is the platform that they need to play longer shows and play some rarities (which is what I'm always hoping for), then I will be for it.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

I'm skeptical because I have heard this (rock band + orchestra) done well, and done not well. Usually, it comes down to the orchestral arrangements, are they adding to the song? Are they just matching existing lines? Are they creating new layers? etc,etc...

Also the mix of the final product will be huge. To be blunt, AB seems to struggle to put out a high quality live concert mixes of two guitars, bass, and drums. Amsterdam was pretty good, Wembley was meh. This mix will be much, much harder to nail.

If they address those two things well, arrangements and sonic production, I think this will be fantastic regardless of setlist, number of songs, documentary, expenses, etc.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I know it's not a huge, epic song but I'd really like to hear Watch Over You on this.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Timotheus wrote:Calm The Fire and Slip The Void with orchestra :cloud9
Oh man, the CTF intro with strings behind it would be epic.

I kind of agree, this thing could go either way... a poorly-done orchestral arrangement would just come off as out of place. But I'm inclined to be optimistic that they'll do it right. And regardless, it's really cool to see them branching out and taking the risk.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Oh yeah, whether or not the execution is perfect or not, these are the kinds of risks that AB probably needs to take. They can't keep doing DVDs of their 18 song sets which the usual stuff.

And I mention this before, and I'll mention this again, whenever a band embarks on something out of the norm, there will be a good chance that they will fail on that endeavor. It is up to us to realize that it is a possibility and for us to accept that it is ok when a band fails at a bold endeavor.