Myles voice change - "Find the Real"

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
jailman
Bought The CDs

Myles voice change - "Find the Real"

Post by jailman »

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Myles voice change - "Find the Real"

Post by Mr. Slash »

We already had that one somewhere. He sounds pretty good in every performance shown. Which is weird, because there are many songs where he sounds really weak nowadays. The thing that baffled me the most was the insane pace the guys had on the Wembley DVD.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Mr. Slash wrote:The thing that baffled me the most was the insane pace the guys had on the Wembley DVD.
I believe that was around the time Flip wasn't playing to a click track, and bunches of fans got all bent out of shape about it.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

TenaciousBe wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:The thing that baffled me the most was the insane pace the guys had on the Wembley DVD.
I believe that was around the time Flip wasn't playing to a click track, and bunches of fans got all bent out of shape about it.
Rightfully so. It was terrible.

As for the voice thing, I can't tell if there is a difference because of the inconsistent captures. I don't know what I should be listening for. I'm certain his voice doesn't sound the same as it used to on record, but live he has always had certain little things there that you won't here on record either.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Been talked about forever on here. Hasn't really had that same growl to his voice ever since he had the guitar in his hands (and got older).

I will say that he hasn't held out the note like that at a live concert that I've been to since like 2007. So the fact that those people even got him attempting to sing the note in 2016 is fortunate. He usually just steps away from the microphone whenever that note comes up.

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

TenaciousBe wrote:
Will you expand on that please? Does he now? In concert?

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

cajmoyper wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:
Will you expand on that please? Does he now? In concert?
Yes he does. Basically, during the ABIII touring cycle the tempos for some songs were getting way too fast, to the point where Myles was struggling vocally to sing passages because the songs were being played too fast.

I believe starting with the Fortress tour and now through TLH tour, they use a click track so that doesn't happen. The result is better tempos and I'd say a much stronger vocal performance from Myles (the click track plus moving stage right really helped) on a consistent basis.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

You know, I always argued against the click track -- let the guys perform, and let live be live and studio be studio. But listening back to the live stuff from the ABIII cycle, and comparing it to how they sound since adding the click... you guys were right. It's rough, and Myles' voice is much better when things are slowed down.

Makes me wonder what happened, because they didn't seem to have those tempo issues in the ODR/BB days. Did Flip use one back then, and ditch it for ABIII? Or did he just have timing issues and it got out of control?
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It could very well be a mixture of timing issues at the time, overtouring (not just AB, but with Creed and Slash around that period as well), Myles having hearing issues (there was a video when they played ODR with Wolfie and Erock in LA in 2011 and Myles was having some hearing issues when he moving at a certain point of the stage). That AB III tour. While they've finally got some decent recgonition and playing on bigger venues and bigger slots in festivals, playing-wise wasn't really the greatest. I do think slowing things down from 2013-onwards has helped them more than hurt them.

A song like Metalingus played the way it is now is perfect with the pacing, while previous versions, during that bridge really hurts the suspenseful part, imo. Though, the one song I personally have a bit of an issue with the tempo nowadays is Rise Today. Compare the pacing to their recent versions to Live From Amsterdam. Amsterdam had tremendous pacing which made it actually a great final song of the set song. Nowadays, it just feels too slow and too overplayed as the encore closer, imo.