The long time member

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: The long time member

Post by abw1987 »

Jim was at Download and I believe he was a bit freaked out by the sheer number of people wearing AB shirts, singing all the songs, etc. Like where did these people come from? Surely they weren't all at the little club shows back in the day. So the band has no shortage of followers in the UK, and the fan base appears to be continuing to grow.

With that said, I'm skeptical that AB will ever headline Download. Even though they're able to play arenas in the UK, there's still a vast divide between the notoriety of AB versus stadium-filling bands like Aerosmith or Guns N' Roses.

Beyond that, I'll readily admit AB doesn't put on the most energetic show. They're very chill in their delivery. Even though Mark is up there headbanging, the guys kind of just confidently stroll around the stage in a calm, collected manner. It's captivating and results in great music, but they don't quite captivate the audience the way the aforementioned stadium bands would.

claudiocc
Bought The CDs

Post by claudiocc »

Well, it does not matter perhaps for the fans . If it was me, as a musician, I would get headlining Download as having definetely made it. You cannot spend so much dedication to music like AB does to please themselves of being just a good band. Must be an aim to do it, otherwise we have reached the tip already. It is no a pretentious ambition. Is a goal

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's a good honor indeed to headline Download, but is it really the goal nowadays for a musician? I mean look at the modern bands that never played Download before, but still have enough popularity that they can draw big crowds, but they choose not to play Download for whatever reasons. Pearl Jam, Green Day, Foo Fighters, etc. Regardless for people's opinions of those bands, would you want to say that they did not make it as a musician?

As a musician, however, what really is better from an artistic standpoint? Headlining a big music festival (where AB can naturally come up with an 18-19 song set full of their usual, but getting that point to be really stale, staples) or playing with an orchestra and bringing out different interpretations of the great songs they made and having a solid outlet to bring out songs that they have rarely played?

I always used to think that headlining Download would be a holy grail, but as the years goes by, I just don't see it that way anymore. Rush is a tremendous example where they don't do festivals, but they are still one of the most respective/enduring bands of all times. Rush never played Download ever, they have no motives to, honestly, so can you say that they hadn't made it as a band?

claudiocc
Bought The CDs

Post by claudiocc »

https://www.facebook.com/AlterBridgePer ... f=mentions

I understand your point, but please check this video above... That is what I am talking about being at festival. Anyway Pealr Jam and Foo Fighters and Green Day have all gone to Download in the past. Certainly AB does not attract a crowd as yet as bigger stadium band. For that is difficult for them to be main attractions. Energetic show? The music is....What has been the biggest band for some years - Oasis- were absolutely still live. Liam Gallagher was not even moving his arm. But stadiums were full......It has all to do I believe with the struggle of notoriety of the first years. A LP like Blackbird, pulled out from any known band, would have rocked the whole world. AB always had very poor promotion

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I started a few months before Blackbird was released. I honestly can't believe how fast time has flown by. I was 15 when I joined and now I'm 25, where the hell did the years go?! I still get nostalgic about that time, 2007 was a great year.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Man, I was thinking about the bands I heard, 10 years ago, as a 14-year old guy that doesn't know too much about music and I'm thinking, "Alter Bridge is pretty much the only band I still listen to on a frequent basis." As a guy that used to watch WWE, I heard bands like Nickelback, and Kid Rock, and Saliva, and Seether and Daughtry around that period. Nowadays, I don't listen to those bands on a frequent basis (well, in all fairness, Nickelback and Seether just released a good latest album this year) except for AB and Daughtry (speaking of, man, what happened to Daughtry? They were release albums every two years or so and it's been four years since their last one).

Anyway, the fact that I still love Alter Bridge after all this time compared to the bands I used to listen to, 10 years ago, speaks a lot about AB's music and their ability to adapt and shift gears at certain points to still be compelling to me after all this time. I just hope they can maintain their top quality, for another 10 years, though it does seem impossible given Myles' age, but I think they can do it.