Why is Metalingus played in EVERY show?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
jailman
Bought The CDs

Why is Metalingus played in EVERY show?

Post by jailman »

I dont get the appeal of that song. To me it's just some ordinary fast song and as never a single. It isn't even one of my top 5 on that album let alone in their catalog.

Yet, EVERY show they play, whether its a headlining show, a festival show, or as an opening band, they play that song EVERY time.

Why? So many better songs they can choose from. Even just from the first album. How can you cut out Find the Real and Open Your Eyes (both great singles by the way) in favor of Metalingus?

Can anyone explain this?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Why is Metalingus played in EVERY show?

Post by anguyen92 »

It's their most popular song, due to it being blasted roughly every week as retired WWE wrestler Edge's theme song during 2004-2011. I like to think that song establishes the notion that AB was going to go in a direction that isn't Creed pt. II. Plus, it's just a fun track to hear live, especially during the bridge where the crowd could go crazy over the "Could you set me free!" part and notably, in addition to Broken Wings, the only song where Myles doesn't play guitar on. Plus casual crowds may recognize it as Edge's theme song.

That reminded me of one interview from Papa Roach where they told a story of them opening for Iron Maiden in Germany and thought they were going to get booed off, but the moment they played "To Be Loved" which was Monday Night Raw's theme song, they claimed the crowd went crazy and some German fans stated, 'Yeah, we liked that song. From the WWE. We love wrestling."

I presume the same could be stated for AB.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

That. It may not have been a single, but I'd venture to say it was their biggest commercial success due to the WWE relationship. Plus, it's just a damn good song.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I like to think that song establishes the notion that AB was going to go in a direction that isn't Creed pt. II
Metalingus sounds very much like a Creed song in my opinion.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

Metalingus is easily the least Creed-sounding song from ODR. And it's not even close. The title in itself is even a little dirty. It's a sexy song and like dude above said, it's a damn good song. After all, it did win track 5 in battle of the track numbers. I know it's hard to understand but just because you don't think one way doesn't mean a bunch of other people can't think another. Not to be a dick but it's the truth. I think Metalingus will stay in the sets for years to come. And I'm fine with it.

Now I could do with less Blackbird songs and GoDGB. More Last Hero and Fortress boys!!!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I associate that song with wrestling, and that's about the least sexy thing I can think of, lol.

The Creed thing, I think it just sounds a lot like many of the heavier Creed songs. Bullets, Ode, etc..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

The songs they choose to play live aren't always about which are the best or favorite - it has a lot to do with the energy it brings to the show and how the crowd responds. It's super high energy and a lot of fun, perfect for live shows.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Yeah, basically, because WWE......
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Looking at it further, Metalingus is also their most popular track on Spotify with 15.7 million listens. #2? Addicted to Pain with 8.8 million. Surprisingly, In Loving Memory is #3 at 7.6 million.

jailman
Bought The CDs

Post by jailman »

I've been a huge fan since Day 1, and NOW i find out that this is all about wrestling?

What the fuck?

Never knew Alter Bridge crossed over into wrestling. Never knew Alter Bridge had wrestling fans.

Even still, the song is ordinary and boring. Kinda fast just to be fast. But no soul in it.

It shouldnt be played over Find the Real or Open Your Eyes.

jailman
Bought The CDs

Post by jailman »

anguyen92 wrote:. Surprisingly, In Loving Memory is #3 at 7.6 million.
Europeans love it i think.

Take a look at the Wembley Stadium DVD and the crowd goes apeshit during that song, and bellows out every word.

Not very well known here, but I love it like the Euros do.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Uhhh, In Loving Memory was not played at Wembley Stadium...... Also, AB has never played in Wembley Stadium.

jailman
Bought The CDs

Post by jailman »

they have a DVD of the Wembley show

you're right.

They play it on the Amsterdam DVD.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

jailman wrote:they have a DVD of the Wembley show

you're right.

They play it on the Amsterdam DVD.
The Dvd is of Wembley arena not stadium. My understanding is the stadium is much bigger, I think Foo Fighters played there twice.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Wembley Stadium is fucking HUGE! One day I would like AB to play there, but sadly they are not quite there yet.

What surprises me most about the Spotify top list is how low Blackbird is. But then again, Spotify also told me my most played song of last year was a Delanie song, a band I don't even like and never listen too. So I wouldn't trust that list too much.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

mradu1960
Brand New Start

Post by mradu1960 »

IMO, it's the ONLY song that SHOULD be in EVERY setlist!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

First show I ever saw live from AB was during the Carnival of Madness run in 2011. The only ODR song they played that entire tour was FTR. So there's that.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

jailman
Bought The CDs

Post by jailman »

listening to it now, and yea i stand corrected. it is a great song.

I get it now.

Not sure why I didn't get it before. They played it live last summer and it didnt do it for me especially in a 7 song set.

and yes I know it was Wembley arena, not stadium, I mixed up the words. Surely you knew what I meant.

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

jailman wrote:I've been a huge fan since Day 1, and NOW i find out that this is all about wrestling?

What the fuck?

Never knew Alter Bridge crossed over into wrestling. Never knew Alter Bridge had wrestling fans.

Even still, the song is ordinary and boring. Kinda fast just to be fast. But no soul in it.

It shouldnt be played over Find the Real or Open Your Eyes.
Pretty sure Mark Tremonti is a wrestling fan.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

jailman wrote:and yes I know it was Wembley arena, not stadium, I mixed up the words. Surely you knew what I meant.
Nope, I honestly cannot say so since I've been known to not read between the lines regarding stuff.