Original versions of Come To Life and Buried Alive

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Original versions of Come To Life and Buried Alive

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Ties that Bind was always about breaking away from something holding them back and unleashing what they are more than capable of. In this case, Ties that Bind and Come to Life was the perfect first and second track for Blackbird since those songs, musically and lyrically, has to make a strong first impression of what Alter Bridge can be after leaving Wind-Up and form their own identity.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I really like the original opening to Buried Alive, but then I miss that part as the pre-chorus, and having it in both spots would be overkill. I think they made a good choice moving it.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

TTB feels more like it is about a personal relationship than Wind Up.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Ties That Bind is absolutely about Wind-Up. I'm sure there are interviews somewhere; it's been common knowledge that that was the meaning behind the song since Blackbird was released.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

TenaciousBe wrote:Ties That Bind is absolutely about Wind-Up. I'm sure there are interviews somewhere; it's been common knowledge that that was the meaning behind the song since Blackbird was released.
Link those interviews then. Otherwise it is purely fan speculation.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

The Plotblocker wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:Ties That Bind is absolutely about Wind-Up. I'm sure there are interviews somewhere; it's been common knowledge that that was the meaning behind the song since Blackbird was released.
I'm not sure if he'll post them or not, and I'm not sure where they are, but for what it's worth you could ask any fan that was on here around 2006-2007 and they'd most likely agree. That was common knowledge for us at the time.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

This doesn't reference Wind-up directly but it's pretty clear what he's talking about:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/in ... world.html
When we wrote Ties That Bind, that kind of set the tone for the record. That was one of the first songs that kind of set the aggressive sound of the album. We were going through a lot of business stuff that was really tough to get through, so the album is a snapshot in the life of the last 2 years of our lives. It wasn't the most pleasant 2 years. We're glad it happened because the record came out the way it did. The frustrations that we had going on with the business side of things kind of spilled over to the record.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
The Plotblocker wrote:
I'm not sure if he'll post them or not, and I'm not sure where they are, but for what it's worth you could ask any fan that was on here around 2006-2007 and they'd most likely agree. That was common knowledge for us at the time.
Thank you! Yeah, I don't make a habit of knowing where to find every interview they've ever done, but it's an accepted and known thing since the media tour of that album. TTB = Wind-Up.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Yeah Ok I concede on that one. Listening to it now I can't figure out why I even thought any different.