How would you define success for Alter Bridge?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

How would you define success for Alter Bridge?

Post by anguyen92 »

This sort of topic is something that I'm sure we question from time to time and I would like to use this thread to really dissect the matter. Simple question. What are the qualifications do you guys think make a successful band and has Alter Bridge hit those marks and are they a successful band in your eyes?

Personally, I think, at this point, closing in on them being a band in a 13 year span, I feel that they are hitting their stride as being a successful band. They had a loyal fanbase (those where some are willing/wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on VIP Meet and Greets and guitar clients), they've been selling out big music halls and arenas in Europe for the last couple of years now. In the states, they've been playing some nice suitable venues, the 1,500 people or so capacity theaters for a good while now as well which are venues that up-and-coming bands would love to play and headline in the states. For the most part, when they get a new album out, they've been charting higher and higher in the states and the UK and most of Europe.

Do you guys think that all of this qualifies enough as success for AB?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: How would you define success for Alter Bridge?

Post by Dolo »

I think that for a modern rock/metal band they are rather successful. As other similar acts they sell out arenas, have long and big worldwide tours. The only thing that keeps them from being 100% happy is a proper South American and then Asian and Australia/NZ tour, I would say.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Fair points. Thankfully, they are heading to Australia/NZ around late March/early April for like 5-6 shows. As for South America, it's always such a gray area. They want to head there that's for certain. It just comes down whether or not if it is worthwhile to the booking agents meeting AB's guarantee so that AB can cover their expenses of playing there.

Asia is always tricky though. They did two shows during the Fortress tour in Japan, Tokyo and Osaka, but they were in small venues around 500-1000 people and tickets were pricey, around $60 or so. They also did a show in Singapore and Indonesia and they were decently attended, roughly around 5,000 people a show. So they can arrange something like that in the future plus maybe South Korea as well?

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

It's been a slow burn for the guys, but in the later half of their careers they have really started hitting the big time (in modern rock band terms). It has been a fun ride and I would not have it any other way. It was awesome being a part of the early days when everything was small and it felt like being part of something special not many new about, like a secret club for want of a better term. But now that club has grown and although I miss the intamcy of the old days, I love that the band I love so much are finally getting the recognition they have deserved since day one, even if it is largely of the back of arguably their weakest album to date.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Of course they're succesful. Not every band has to be Creed or Bon Jovi to be succesful these days.
As to Australian/NZ tours, you have to know it's crazy expensive for the bands, and they often lose money or barely make it even when they go there.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

When I say the words "Alter Bridge" and people stop replying "who?".

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I like the size they are here in the States. Get to see them up close. In four shows, I have been on the rail in front of Mark twice. Our poor friends across the pond get to see them in arenas. But not up close like that.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

I think they are successful. They make a living doing what they love, to me that's success. Do I think they could be more successful? Eh, it depends on how you define success. If they make more money doing what they currently do now, or play to more people than they currently do now, is that more successful? Aren't they just doing the same thing they are now but with a change in how much cash they have in their pockets?

Now if you asked me if I thought they could become more popular, book bigger venues, and sell more records my answer would be an enthusiastic YES. But I'm not sure they need to do any of that to be anymore or any less successful than they are right now.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

mikeyd23 wrote:I think they are successful. They make a living doing what they love, to me that's success. Do I think they could be more successful? Eh, it depends on how you define success. If they make more money doing what they currently do now, or play to more people than they currently do now, is that more successful? Aren't they just doing the same thing they are now but with a change in how much cash they have in their pockets?

Now if you asked me if I thought they could become more popular, book bigger venues, and sell more records my answer would be an enthusiastic YES. But I'm not sure they need to do any of that to be anymore or any less successful than they are right now.

Wouldn't becoming more popular, booking bigger venues and selling more records go hand in hand with putting more cash in their pockets?

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Fish Tacos wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:I think they are successful. They make a living doing what they love, to me that's success. Do I think they could be more successful? Eh, it depends on how you define success. If they make more money doing what they currently do now, or play to more people than they currently do now, is that more successful? Aren't they just doing the same thing they are now but with a change in how much cash they have in their pockets?

Wouldn't becoming more popular, booking bigger venues and selling more records go hand in hand with putting more cash in their pockets?
Yes. My point was that I'm not sure that would make them "more successful". It would depend on how you define success.

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

Headlining Download festival and other festivals they have played regularly for the last 5 years, instead of when I look at the line ups they're always further down from the main headliners!

claudiocc
Bought The CDs

Post by claudiocc »

Successful for me is already now, as someone stated, making a living of what you love doing...not many pople can say that... But for me real success would be headlining Download festival and playing last, after Metallica or AC/DC ....impossible...but why modern tock band must be behind classic? It is becaus eof the awareness, the music industry does not push enough for new bands, because nobody wants to spend money as they are still making money with classic bands...but soon many classic bands will be finished because of age, normal...I would like to see who will be the big bands then......I believe Alter Bridge will be one of them and for me they are so great becasue they are great musician, writing from very hard staff to melodies......one of the most advertised modern band was Evanescence...they pushed them a lot, and I liked them, but look what happened...they are gone...Limp Bizkit....PapaRoach, new wave rock with Linkin Park.... The only one real cracking into the bigs are Foo Fightersfor me and -yes, liked it or not- Nickelback, which came out at same time of 3 Doors Down. Green Day, Red Hot Chilli Pepper, Avenged 7fold, Shinedown, Muse , SOAD, Slash are all looking good but I think none of them has got the otential that AB can have...for me they are the new Led Zeppelin.....

mradu1960
Brand New Start

Post by mradu1960 »

I have to admit I'm SO SICK of AB having to play clubs in the States. IMO, they are SO MUCH BETTER than basically ALL of the arena & amphitheater headline acts, it just makes me frustrated. Personally as well, I HATE club shows (I'm no kid anymore) and would much rather see them headlining 2-3K theaters (ie: Beacon Theater in NYC for one). I'll be at the Playstation in NYC of course, but I'll be the one rockin' with a scowl on my face! :slam

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Playstation Theater has 2,100 people capacity and AB sold those out the two times they played it.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Playstation Theater? That's my favorite name of a theater ever

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I've never been to a non-sold out AB show in Dallas. They always put us at a good spot (first date on a tour, last date on a tour, album release date, music video, filming the concert live, etc). They treat us pretty nice. Kind of a shame they aren't coming back again on this tour.

They're just where I want them tbh. Kind of a good feeling liking a band that is not as well known. Like, a lot of people around here like 3 Days Grace and SHinedown, so whenever someone says "hey, did you hear that new album?" The response is always "hell yeah I did!"

For AB, you get to witness people's reactions to a song as you play it for them. Kind of a cool experience.