Favourite epic songs

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

What are your 3 favourite epic songs ?

The End is Here
7%
Blackbird
26%
New Way to Live
5%
Show Me a Sign
2%
Words Darker Than Their Wings
10%
Cry of Achilles
17%
Fortress
14%
This Side of Fate
5%
The Last Hero
14%

Total votes: 170

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: Favourite epic songs

Post by One Drew Remains »

And in my opinion, songs like Zeps Achilles Last Stand or Maidens Rime of the Ancient Mariner are epics. 10 minutes plus. Just my opinion though. If someone here thinks Green Day's American Idiot is epic, who am I?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

This is impossible... Thanks for adding Show Me A Sign, great song!

ElliotYork
Brand New Start

Post by ElliotYork »

Ubik wrote:I'm an epic purist. Only Blackbird, Cry of Achilles, Fortress, This Side of Fate and The Last Hero count for me.
I'm extremely late to this topic but haven't been on TABN for a while now.

I feel like I am of a similar frame of mind. When I think of "an epic" I think of a song that is a combination of long, progressive and intense. There's also that abstract concept of the song "taking you on a musical journey" - which I know sounds like an overused wanky term but it certainly does apply to some songs. Those elements working together make a song "an epic" (as a noun) for me, rather than simply making a song "epic" (as an adjective) because it's really awesome.

By that criteria, those five tracks are AB's true epics. Blackbird is possibly less progressive than the others, but what it lacks there it MORE than makes up for in intensity and length, and it definitely is a musical journey.

I consider Words Darker Than Their Wings to be a bit of a "fringe epic". It certainly has the intensity of the others, and it has a BIT of the progressive side going on but not to the same extent. It also lacks the length to give it that same feeling of a "musical journey" that the others have. I'm ok with other people considering WDttW an epic, even if I don't necessarily.

I'd never really thought of Show Me A Sign as an epic, but seeing so many people here consider it as such, I must admit that it does fit some of the criteria. It is VERY intense, not ALL that progressive but it does have some stages it goes through, it's not as long as the other epics but still longer than most AB songs. I guess for me, even though I like the song, it is missing a certain X-factor to give it that "musical journey" feel for me to call it an epic.

I lot of what I just said about SMaS could also apply to New Way To Live and The End Is Here.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

ElliotYork wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:59 am I'm extremely late to this topic but haven't been on TABN for a while now.
I'm even later to this topic because I'm less than two months new to TABN.

I agree that all of these are epics, although I can't speak for New Way To Live because I haven't heard it yet. I think besides any of these I would also add Show Me A Leader.

3. The Last Hero
2. Show Me A Leader
1. Cry Of Achilles

I dislike This Side Of Fate because it's just so creepy. Fortress and Show Me A Sign are awesome. The rest are either cool or just okay.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs