Favourite epic songs

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

What are your 3 favourite epic songs ?

The End is Here
7%
Blackbird
26%
New Way to Live
5%
Show Me a Sign
2%
Words Darker Than Their Wings
10%
Cry of Achilles
17%
Fortress
14%
This Side of Fate
5%
The Last Hero
14%

Total votes: 170

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Favourite epic songs

Post by dFhimz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Anyways, I chose Blackbird, WDTTW, and TSOF
Must be a Canadian thing, I chose the same 3

nildiven
Bought The CDs

Post by nildiven »

Blackbird, CoA, TLH. I feel like TLH is criminally underrated. I go on a journey every time I hear it. The tone and lyrics feel purposely angry and desperate at times and by the end the melody is so fittingly heroic. Not to mention both solos are killer.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

dFhimz wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Anyways, I chose Blackbird, WDTTW, and TSOF
Must be a Canadian thing, I chose the same 3
:lol Maybe

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Okay so I went with some weird choices. The End Is Here, New Way To Live, and Fortress. It was tough to leave Blackbird out, but my appreciation of TEIH only grows over time.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

nildiven wrote:Blackbird, CoA, TLH. I feel like TLH is criminally underrated. I go on a journey every time I hear it. The tone and lyrics feel purposely angry and desperate at times and by the end the melody is so fittingly heroic. Not to mention both solos are killer.
I completely agree. Every time I'm done listening to it, which is quite often, I let out a long exhale. It redefines epic in my mind. I really honestly think that it is Alter Bridge's quintessential epic. It is my new favorite song. Not just AB, but overall. Although one presumes the other. I've always credited Tremonster as being the mastermind of AB. Imagine my surprise when I read that The Last Hero is Myles' brainchild. Love it, love it, love it. I really hope they play it when I see them in February in Houston.

Burn It Down as has been mentioned notwithstanding, I would also include Brand New Start in the epic category because of its solo. The solo alone takes you on a journey that I actually prefer over BB's. But I went TLH, BB, and CoA. From that list, you really can't go wrong. Love the inclusion of Show Me A Sign. It's still the only AB song with 3 solos. I'm of course including Flip's turn on the drums. :headbang

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Another poll where I simply cannot decide. I'm so bad at this :lol

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Cry of Achilles
Blackbird
The Last Hero
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Nice to see at last every song is getting some votes.
As to the inclusion or exclusion of some songs, well, I guess there is no absolute truth. For me, epics are not just long tunes. They're songs that are unpredictable and bring you on a journey. You can tell the band is giving more thoughts into these ones, whether it's about the overall mood or the structure. The way I see it, adding a long intro doesn't necessarily turn a song into an epic (I'm looking at you, Slip to the Void and Show Me a Leader). As much as I like Burn it down, it's very safe structure-wise, and it's just a ballad that is longer than usual, and for me it's doesn't scream "epic" like the other songs I included do.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

I went for Blackbird, Cry of Achilles and The Last Hero. I think Calm The Fire and Island of Fools should have been in there too.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

How in the world is Island of Fools an epic song ?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Fortress
Cry of Achilles/The Last Hero
For all of the hope that it brings...

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

chtimixeur wrote:How in the world is Island of Fools an epic song ?
Y-you are joking, right?? How is not epic as fuck?!?
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

It's great, it's badass, and it slays. But there is nothing epic about it, at least the way I see it.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

I'd say the chorus is pretty epic indeed, but it's definitely not one of Alter Bridge's epic monumental songs, although I love it to death. Calm The Fire isn't one of these as well, by the way.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Epic riff. Epic chorus. 2 epic solos. The EPIC final chorus into Mark's epic solo. Nah, nothing epic about it at all.........

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

The Plotblocker wrote:Epic riff. Epic chorus. 2 epic solos. The EPIC final chorus into Mark's epic solo. Nah, nothing epic about it at all.........
I honestly don't find Myles solo epic at all. It's his worst on the record, IMO. If he had another The Last Hero solo in IOF then maybe it could have been epic.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

This thread is rather pointless, you make people argue over what's epic and what's not. Is it about the length? About the overall vibe? About certain sections? I consider Slip to the Void quite epic, because of the intro and the rather original (in their own league) structure but it's not in the poll.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Dolo wrote:This thread is rather pointless, you make people argue over what's epic and what's not. Is it about the length? About the overall vibe? About certain sections? I consider Slip to the Void quite epic, because of the intro and the rather original (in their own league) structure but it's not in the poll.
Yeah I would put Shlip in there too. For me, it is about the vibe and feel of the song. Length is irrelevant.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I'm an epic purist. Only Blackbird, Cry of Achilles, Fortress, This Side of Fate and The Last Hero count for me.
Last edited by Ubik on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all of the hope that it brings...

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I feel like an epic song should run at least six minutes. An analogy would be a really good episode of Game of Thrones against LOTR Return of the King. Do I love Slip and Island, absolutely. Are they epic like Cry of Achilles or Blackbird, no.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23