Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 06

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

BOTTN: Track 06

Poll ended at Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:34 pm

Broken Wings
48%
Before Tomorrow Comes
6%
Make It Right
No votes
Peace Is Broken
12%
Cradle To The Grave
35%

Total votes: 52

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 06

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Cradle to the Grave is awesome, but the chorus just does not get to me. It also makes me wonder if it would have sounded better in the earlier years (different arrangement and mix altogether, as you know). Broken Wings was one of the original favorites of mine, and I love the bluesy aspect that it provides. Some of the riffing (alongside the verses especially) doesn't really sound as cohesive to me as I would hope though. Not a knock at all, but I'm just trying to justify why I didn't vote for that one. Make It Right and Peace Is Broken don't even scratch the surface for me.

So my vote, believe it or not, actually goes to Before Tomorrow Comes. Definitely a surprise hit on this album for me. From the clean starting riff all the way to "We could be so much more than we are" is just glorious to listen to. I get chills thinking of the song. That being said, I almost wish they could go back in time and do a re-record of that, if not just for Mark to do his "wah wah" backing vocals in the final chorus while Myles is singing as opposed to after it. It sounds great when they do it live, and it seems like if they had the choice to go back and re-record it all over again, that's what they would do differently in their final chorus arrangement. Of course, ironically, I would not like for them to re-record it now given the way they are currently arranging and mixing songs.

I think this all just goes to show how a mix/record can literally make or break a song. My favorite song of all time (A Day To Be Alone by One Less Reason) only has one version that I absolutely adore above all of the rest. The others make the song feel average to me, but one specific one they did makes it my favorite of all time. Strange how that works.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

AHart96 wrote:Peace is Broken, that riff and bridge though :cloud9

Broken Wings is a very close second
Agreed

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Happy to see ODR getting a lot of love. Went with Broken Wings, but wouldn't be upset if Cradle won. Which says a lot, cause Broken Wings is the highlight of both Myles' and Mark's career.

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

I still maintain that Broken Wings guitar intro is one of the greatest guitar melodies ever written. It, like the solo in Brand New Start are very SRV to me. I feel like those two instances show his influence on Mark more than any other point in his discography. Myles is at peak-Myles to me in Broken Wings. It works so well and encapsulates ODR in one song for me. I love it.

That being said Cradle to the Grave takes it for me. It's so well-written, constructed, and dat solo! It's the most dynamic of any song on the album and the vocals/lyrics are both haunting and beautiful all at the same time.

It was very close too. And while I'm at it, Make it Right I think is their most under-rated song. I love the energy of it and wouldn't mind if they bumbed BTC for it when playing live.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

I'm with you on BTC, Muffin. Hard to not do Peace or Cradle due to recency effect, but BTC is a favorite both live and on the albums. We are the lone BTC votes so far.

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

I went with Peace Is Broken, but this is really one of the numbers where any option could win.

Broken Wings is an old favorite. Before Tomorrow Comes is probably the weakest here and one that long-time fans are a bit tired of, but remains a crowd favorite. Make It Right took years to grow on me, but now I love it, one of their best from a lyrical standpoint as well. Peace Is Broken is one of their heaviest tracks and best riffs, and I really want to see it live at some point. Cradle to the Grave is one of the standouts off the new album, would be a 10/10 song if it were a bit shorter.

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

Even though I voted for BW, I'm so glad CTTG is doing so well and winning, at least for now. Well deserved! :)

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Have to give this to Cradle, it's just an all around amazing song. It was hard to vote against BTC because I love that song and it's so nostalgic for me, but Cradle takes it.

nildiven
Bought The CDs

Post by nildiven »

cajmoyper wrote:I still maintain that Broken Wings guitar intro is one of the greatest guitar melodies ever written.
I do long for those finger picked, acoustic style intro/outros that populated ODR but have since largely vanished.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

I actually miss some of the Creed clean guitar intros. Pity For A Dime, What's This Life For, One & One Last Breath are all sublime.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

It's hilarious how well all of the songs from the one album that does absolutely not define the musical style of Alter Bridge are doing... There's really a lot of nostalgia around here.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Broken Wings for me.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Ugh no Broken Wings is winning. Fuuuck you BW you overrated jerk.

coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Post by coldenscence »

Blackbird wrote:It's hilarious how well all of the songs from the one album that does absolutely not define the musical style of Alter Bridge are doing... There's really a lot of nostalgia around here.
I could have partially agreed with you about One Day Remains not being a typical Alter Bridge record, if it was not for the latter condescending remark about the "nostalgia". I rather speak for myself than to generalize, but the fact that I voted for Broken Wings or Metalingus has nothing to do with nostalgia. I simply thought they were better songs compared to their counterparts. Actually, my favorite record of theirs is Fortress, and I would have loved if TLH continued the pseudo-progressive style that started with Fortress, but tell you what? For track 9 I am not going to vote Farther Than The Sun simply because it was on my "favorite" record. I am gonna choose the best track out of four. Besides, up until now I think the only surprise was the selection of "Burn It Down". The solo will probably be the best thing that Mark has ever composed, but I never imagined the overall love for the song was this immense. So, aside from one track the results have been pretty straightforward imo.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Went with Broken Wings in the end. I just can't not vote for it.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Blackbird wrote:It's hilarious how well all of the songs from the one album that does absolutely not define the musical style of Alter Bridge are doing... There's really a lot of nostalgia around here.

Apologies to anyone who doesn't watch South Park :lol

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

WaywardOne wrote:

Apologies to anyone who doesn't watch South Park :lol
AHH YEAH! I love to 'member clean tones! :yes

Dude that fucking cracked me up =D So stealing your meme ;) hehe
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I don't get the hype about Cradle to be honest. I chose Broken Wings even though I like Make It Right aswell. Probably as the only person in this forum.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

coldenscence wrote:
I could have partially agreed with you about One Day Remains not being a typical Alter Bridge record, if it was not for the latter condescending remark about the "nostalgia". I rather speak for myself than to generalize, but the fact that I voted for Broken Wings or Metalingus has nothing to do with nostalgia. I simply thought they were better songs compared to their counterparts. Actually, my favorite record of theirs is Fortress, and I would have loved if TLH continued the pseudo-progressive style that started with Fortress, but tell you what? For track 9 I am not going to vote Farther Than The Sun simply because it was on my "favorite" record. I am gonna choose the best track out of four. Besides, up until now I think the only surprise was the selection of "Burn It Down". The solo will probably be the best thing that Mark has ever composed, but I never imagined the overall love for the song was this immense. So, aside from one track the results have been pretty straightforward imo.
With "nostalgia" I mean the "AB were so much better during the ODR era" that seems to be constantly around in these forums. For me, the election of One Day Remains and now Broken Wings are completely absurd because there were much better songs in these battles. The amount of votes the ODR songs get speak for themselves I guess, because I really think that most ODR songs are significantly worse than most tracks they recorded afterwards in many regards - but obviously the biggest part of this forum doesn't feel the same ^^
Mr. Slash wrote:I don't get the hype about Cradle to be honest. I chose Broken Wings even though I like Make It Right aswell. Probably as the only person in this forum.
I love Make It Right. 4 1/2 stars song for me. But Cradle is even better.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

So...Wings is clearly going to win(g) this one. Track 7 will be interesting. Reckon it'll be between Calm The Fire and In Loving Memory - will ODR win again?