Alter Bridge Song analytics dashboard/report

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
PascalM
Brand New Start

Alter Bridge Song analytics dashboard/report

Post by PascalM »

Hey guys

Very recently I decided to create an interactive report / dashboard which visualises various statistics about Alter Bridge's songs. I gathered data of Wikipedia, Last.fm, Setlist.fm and Spotify to do so and combined these into some nice graphs.

Take a look for yourself and feel free to play around with the data by clicking around on the song titles, album covers or drop down boxes:
https://public.tableau.com/profile/pasc ... gAnalytics

The Song analytics dashboard consists of three parts:
1: A descriptive look at the songs – Statistics about how often a song is played live, how often people listened to it (as captured by last.fm) or song popularity on Spotify (as measure on 1 Nov 2016). It also contains a nice word cloud of song characteristics such as acousticness, energy, instramentalness etc.
2: The second part is a more analytical look at the data in which I calculated a Played Live Ratio (how often do they play a song live compared to the total amount of gigs where they had the opportuntiy to play it), Average amount of times listened to a song by a listener, and a graph which compares the amount of times a song is played live with the amount of times people listened to the song (after standardizing the scales for comparison).
3: A song comparison where you can compare two songs with each other

Some Conclusions:
- Clearly Metalingus is the most popular song of all. There is no doubt about that!
- In Loving Memory is scores way higher in terms of people listening to the song, compared to the amount of times it was played live as can be seen in the lower graph of the 2nd dashboard.
- In terms of how often a listener listens to a song on average ABIII songs score relatively high
- On the other hand: The Last Hero scores relatively low. This makes sense, since the record is still new. For a more accurate view we’d have to see the results over a longer period
- Farther Than The Sun is really popular on the setlists. However in terms of average times listened and song popularity on spotify, this song scores quite low compared to the rest of Fortress (maybe swap it with In Loving Memory?)
- Both Rise Today and Blackbird have around the same amount of listens on Last.fm. However, the amount of unique listeners for Rise Today is way higher. Which makes sense, because it was the Single. Blackbird on the other hand is a song that gets played a lot by the fans.

I am really curious what you guys think of this and what conclusions you found.
Last edited by PascalM on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Alter Bridge Song analytics dashboard/report

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

This is very resourceful. Thank you very much for putting your time into this!

I'll look at it deeper in time, and see if I can pull anything out from it myself.

PascalM
Brand New Start

Post by PascalM »

Thanks MuffinMcFluffin! I also see an error in my text above where I say "your songs" . Oops! That's because I sent this to them via Facebook as well.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Wow, this is really cool haha! Thanks for that!

PascalM
Brand New Start

Post by PascalM »

Okay guys, I don't want to spam you or anything, and maybe it is because I am a newbie over here, but I really expected some more responses from you guys that usually seem to love to play games like ranking AB's records, creating top 10's, judging B-sides, or even discuss why AB plays Blackbird songs so much every tour. I just gave you some numbers to investigate it a bit more from a quantitative perspective. Of course it does not contain any subjective judgements, but it displays quite well what people prefer. :rolleyes

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

God damn wrestling fans making Metalingus top of everything. No way is that close to being their best work. I love the song, but it is not that good.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

PascalM wrote:Okay guys, I don't want to spam you or anything, and maybe it is because I am a newbie over here, but I really expected some more responses from you guys that usually seem to love to play games like ranking AB's records, creating top 10's, judging B-sides, or even discuss why AB plays Blackbird songs so much every tour. I just gave you some numbers to investigate it a bit more from a quantitative perspective. Of course it does not contain any subjective judgements, but it displays quite well what people prefer. :rolleyes
Give it a chance fella, you only just started the thread.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm guessing Farther Than the Sun is in the set so much (although I've seen them 3 times since the beginning of the Fortress tour, and have yet to see it) because someone in the band likes to play it. That is clearly why a song like Before Tomorrow Comes is in the set. It's also why GoDGB will probably always have a place.

I once read an interview with the guys in Def Leppard where they said "if one guy in the band rolls his eyes and says 'f*ck that song' then we don't play it."
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Mark and I believe Myles as well said that In Loving Memory was one of their best songs in an interview before Fortress was released. I think it's just a very tough song to get through night after night.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

No. They must leave Farther than the Sun. One of my top 10 AB songs. They don't play a lot of what I love. Yet I love every song in the set.

I've been watching their sets they're playing in Europe right now and they were apparently supposed to live premiere The Last Hero in Sweden I think but for some reason swapped it out for Wonderful Life. I'm going to the show in Houston in February and hope to God they play it. It is now, to me, undeniably their best song. It has uprooted the song that has held that spot for more than a decade now: Burn it Down.

Oh gosh, I don't know. Don't make me choose!!!