2017 U.S. headline tour...........

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: 2017 U.S. headline tour...........

Post by Mr. Slash »

Just post a link instead of talking about how great ist was. :slam

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

:lol Here's the one I watched:

There might be better ones but this is the first result when you search YouTube for "alter bridge island of fools silver spring."

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Raleigh tonight!!! Going with my twin and taking my girlfriend to see them for the first time, should be a great night :D :peace
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Have a great time man.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
AHart96 wrote:
Seems like they finally played My Champion in the original tuning, it's definitely noticeable compared to previous videos. I think it sounds great
It appears so. Traditionally Mark had been in Either just Drop B or the actual tuning for the song so B G# C# F# A# D# and Myles was in Open C#5 so C# G# C# G# C# C#.
On the record, Myles plays this song in Open F# major (same tuning as In Loving Memory), not Open C#5.
I agree with you for the in the studio part; however, they are notorious for not using the same tunings live. THis is Marks rig for the current tour. He has two guitars for each tuning. (from left too right) The guitar on the stand and the joe fenton one are a full step down. The next two are in their drop Bb tuning (Bb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb). The next two are in Drop Db. The next two are the seven strings in a step and a half down standard. The next two are in Drop B. The final two on the right I can't make out, but because Ghosts and Open your eyes are in the set list we can assume open Db5. What this shows me is that Mark is playing My Champion in Drop B which is not the tuning he uses on the record. And with Myles using the same guitar live that he uses on Open Your Eyes, it can reasonably be assumed that he would be in open Db5 tuning. It would be detrimental to retune a guitar that much midway through the set. It is not impossible, but it really messes with the intonation of the instrument, plus you risk breaking a string.

This is from the same concert. Myles is using the same guitar on Open your eyes. It wouldn't be necessarily impossible to play Open Your Eyes in Open Gb but I think it much more likely that he is using Db5 for both songs. That being said I can't find any good shots of his rig and I might be completely wrong.
Live, they were playing My Champion down a half step from the record, but the tuning set ups were the same, i.e. Mark was tuned to A# G C F A D, and Myles was in open F as opposed to F#. And while it may be the same guitar for MC and OYE, it is definitely being retuned between those songs. The chord shapes he (Myles) plays for MC would not be possible in Open D5 and vice versa for OYE in Open F (or Open F# during this US leg).

Also, while in Europe, Mark was playing Ghosts in C#5 and OYE in D5 (or at least he did at the gig in Basel).

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
AHart96 wrote:
Seems like they finally played My Champion in the original tuning, it's definitely noticeable compared to previous videos. I think it sounds great
It appears so. Traditionally Mark had been in Either just Drop B or the actual tuning for the song so B G# C# F# A# D# and Myles was in Open C#5 so C# G# C# G# C# C#.
On the record, Myles plays this song in Open F# major (same tuning as In Loving Memory), not Open C#5.
I agree with you for the in the studio part; however, they are notorious for not using the same tunings live. THis is Marks rig for the current tour. He has two guitars for each tuning. (from left too right) The guitar on the stand and the joe fenton one are a full step down. The next two are in their drop Bb tuning (Bb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb). The next two are in Drop Db. The next two are the seven strings in a step and a half down standard. The next two are in Drop B. The final two on the right I can't make out, but because Ghosts and Open your eyes are in the set list we can assume open Db5. What this shows me is that Mark is playing My Champion in Drop B which is not the tuning he uses on the record. And with Myles using the same guitar live that he uses on Open Your Eyes, it can reasonably be assumed that he would be in open Db5 tuning. It would be detrimental to retune a guitar that much midway through the set. It is not impossible, but it really messes with the intonation of the instrument, plus you risk breaking a string.

This is from the same concert. Myles is using the same guitar on Open your eyes. It wouldn't be necessarily impossible to play Open Your Eyes in Open Gb but I think it much more likely that he is using Db5 for both songs. That being said I can't find any good shots of his rig and I might be completely wrong.
Live, they were playing My Champion down a half step from the record, but the tuning set ups were the same, i.e. Mark was tuned to A# G C F A D, and Myles was in open F as opposed to F#. And while it may be the same guitar for MC and OYE, it is definitely being retuned between those songs. The chord shapes he (Myles) plays for MC would not be possible in Open D5 and vice versa for OYE in Open F (or Open F# during this US leg).

Also, while in Europe, Mark was playing Ghosts in C#5 and OYE in D5 (or at least he did at the gig in Basel).
Did you like talk to them or something?

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
AHart96 wrote:

Did you like talk to them or something? They must have switched their setups since the pic that I found. Either that or Myles has more guitars then I know about. Here is a pic of Myles's rig at least in Europe.https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/ph ... =3&theater

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

Drumkidstu wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
AHart96 wrote:

Did you like talk to them or something? When I say them live in Royal Oak, Mark used the same guitar for all the songs with an open D tuning. They must have switched their setups since the pic that I found. Either that or Myles has more guitars then I know about. From the pic that I found it looks like 5. Here is a pic of Myles's rig at least in Europe. https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/ph ... =3&theater

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

Drumkidstu wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:

Did you like talk to them or something? When I say them live in Royal Oak, Mark used the same guitar for all the songs with an open D tuning. They must have switched their setups since the pic that I found. Either that or Myles has more guitars then I know about. From the pic that I found it looks like 5. Here is a pic of Myles's rig at least in Europe. https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/ph ... =3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/ph ... =3&theater Here is the link to a pic of Marks rig too. You can see why I am a little suspicious of Mark actually playing in the original tuning because he has two of his custom baritones in drop B here.

RoelSmoel
Isolated

Post by RoelSmoel »

They're using different guitars for different tunings on this USA tour. Can't tell you which and what, but that's what I first noticed after seeing the first videos.

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

yeah the have two rigs.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah. I think Myles tobacco burst PRS must be in his European rig. Didn't see it at either the Tulsa or KC shows this tour.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

When you have as many guitars as these guys have, there is really no excuse to not be playing every song in the correct tuning (or maybe half a step down for vocalists sake).
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

Drumkidstu wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:

No I didn't talk to them. Just simple observations I made with my own close to 15 years of guitar playing experience. Also, Myles and Mark have a plethora of guitars that they have been using on this tour which I haven't seen in the past, but my ear is trained enough to hear a half step difference between a C# and D, as well as being able to tell what chord shapes are possible in what tuning. For instance, I agree with you that they aren't playing everything in the original tuning; You Will Be Remembered has both guitars tuned to Drop B on the record but live you clearly see Myles playing in Drop C# chord voicings. Idk why you are so opposed to the idea of them changing guitar tunings mid set. Mark did it several times with his prototype, playing in both Drop C as well as Drop C#. Or the tiger burst in Open C#5 and Open D5. They could do the same with one of Myles' guitars going from open F/F# to open D5.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

At the show last night I noticed Myles only used 4 or 5 different guitars. He's retuning them as he goes, he even mentioned he was tuning in between songs last night. He has what looks to be 2 new McCarty 594's.

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

Seeing them today!!!! Please, please, PLEASE play The Last Hero!!! :rockon

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

Was one person behind rail for Raleigh. Right in front of Mark and I heard the sound directly from his amp and not as much as what was coming from the house system. After the AtP solo, I felt my face melting completely off.....

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

The Plotblocker wrote:When you have as many guitars as these guys have, there is really no excuse to not be playing every song in the correct tuning (or maybe half a step down for vocalists sake).
I respectfully disagree from the band's perspective. When traveling, their focus is on putting on the most fluid and put together performance. If they have to risk a retune or bring an extra guitar to do ensure that every song is in the exact tuning as the record and not 1/2 step off, that introduces more time for error and possibly not as smooth of a show.

I understand from the die hard fan perspective, but the number of people that would notice a 1/2 step different tuning are probably all in this thread.

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
SchwiizVT12 wrote:

No I didn't talk to them. Just simple observations I made with my own close to 15 years of guitar playing experience. Also, Myles and Mark have a plethora of guitars that they have been using on this tour which I haven't seen in the past, but my ear is trained enough to hear a half step difference between a C# and D, as well as being able to tell what chord shapes are possible in what tuning. For instance, I agree with you that they aren't playing everything in the original tuning; You Will Be Remembered has both guitars tuned to Drop B on the record but live you clearly see Myles playing in Drop C# chord voicings. Idk why you are so opposed to the idea of them changing guitar tunings mid set. Mark did it several times with his prototype, playing in both Drop C as well as Drop C#. Or the tiger burst in Open C#5 and Open D5. They could do the same with one of Myles' guitars going from open F/F# to open D5.
Not really opposed. I have seen a lot of interviews with them and through most of them they say that they don't change a guitars tuning mid-set because of intonation issues. (Myles has almost always used the same guitar for both Eb standard and drop Db songs and the same for full step down) So maybe their taste has changed. For the last 6 years or so I have been paying attention to the tunings that they have used and they have never really done this before until this tour.
Last edited by Drumkidstu on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

Jhenrid wrote:At the show last night I noticed Myles only used 4 or 5 different guitars. He's retuning them as he goes, he even mentioned he was tuning in between songs last night. He has what looks to be 2 new McCarty 594's.
He does have those. I think they are his new favorite. Also at least one standard McCarty, a Custom 22, and 3 new single cuts. They have two rigs now one for Europe and one for the U.S. so everything is different now lol.