2017 U.S. headline tour...........

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
tzAB
Brand New Start

Re: 2017 U.S. headline tour...........

Post by tzAB »

What do you guys think of a possible US tour later this year/album cycle? I'd love to go see them again before the guys disband for other projects.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ It's certainly possible. Nothing is really set in stone for July-onwards. Anything can happen. Probably them going to South America, Asia, (those areas is a long shot though), another headlining round in Europe or the states.

I don't think they are done in the states quite yet, despite covering a good amount of ground this tour. I could see them hit New Jersey (they had close to 2,000 people in Starland Ballroom in 2014), maybe somewhere in Ohio. Maybe Spokane. Maybe Canadian cities like Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, etc. Denver (I know Gbruin wants that city badly). They could make another NA tour based on those locations. Can't see them hit California again though after this tour, unless they want to hit San Diego or Anaheim?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AB was getting roasted on Facebook for not cancelling/postponing the show tonight because of the weather conditions.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Either people complain if they did cancel/postpone the show or complain that the show goes on in harsh weather conditions. I guess those people complaining that the show is still happening probably wanted a refund.

shakes51
Brand New Start

Post by shakes51 »

Just got out of NY show, so happy they played The Last Hero! Place was full despite the bad weather. Really enjoyed tonights set that wasnt Blackbird heavy. Band sounded great, Myles killed it on Watch Over You. They just announced a NJ show at Starland, May 2.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Cool, glad you enjoyed it. As I stated before, Starland Ballroom is a great venue for AB in New Jersey. They had a great turnout the last time they were there. Zaz, if you read this message, are you going to be there?

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

I think they need a larger alternative in NJ. In 2014 I was on the rail and it wasn't too bad for me, but I was hearing people elsewhere say it was almost overcrowded. They pack in Starland big time. Might be getting too small for them.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

shakes51 wrote:They just announced a NJ show at Starland, May 2.
Yesssss! I wonder if it's to make up for the people who couldn't make it to NY last night?

Awesome to hear they played TLH last night as well.

mradu1960
Brand New Start

Post by mradu1960 »

Good show in NYC last night, but aside from 4 new songs, it was "same ol' same ol'" from AB. I've seen them on every album tour and I am seriously getting sick of so many of their songs they play live. I've seen them a total of 10 times now (starting in 2004) and I've now STILL not seen 30 songs in their catalog. WTF??? :slam :slam :slam
They just keep playing the same songs over and over every tour. It's quite annoying! I'll probably pass on the Starland show which I never thought I'd say. :shrug

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

mradu1960 wrote:Good show in NYC last night, but aside from 4 new songs, it was "same ol' same ol'" from AB. I've seen them on every album tour and I am seriously getting sick of so many of their songs they play live. I've seen them a total of 10 times now (starting in 2004) and I've now STILL not seen 30 songs in their catalog. WTF??? :slam :slam :slam
They just keep playing the same songs over and over every tour. It's quite annoying! I'll probably pass on the Starland show which I never thought I'd say. :shrug
Yeah I was kind of disappointed they didn't play crows on a wire or the otherside last night. Kind of tired of hearing Metalingus and Rise Today to be honest. I could also do without Watch Over You.

I think in reality they need to keep playing those songs though as they keep attracting new fans who haven't seen them perform the favorites. Yes we've been around for a long time so we've seen them perform a lot of songs, but every one of us enjoys and appreciates different songs. I'd honestly like to hear more from AB III, or hear them bring back Coming Home, Watch Your Words, and other classics.

mradu1960
Brand New Start

Post by mradu1960 »

I'll grant you that there are 5 or 6 songs that AB "must" play every show:
Metalingus
Rise Today
Watch Over You
Isolation
Addicted To Pain
and now possibly Show Me A Leader.

BUT, that's six songs out of a usual 18 song set. Take out another 4 for "new album songs" and that leaves a good 8 songs to really mix up. There is NO NEED for the constant playing of "Ties That Bind". "Blackbird", "Come To Life", "Ghosts....", "Waters Rising", etc. Jeez, gives us a tour or two to miss them! :shrug

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ You did have good while or so to miss them. When was the last time they were in NYC for a headlining show? 2014? Seems like a good while. The people, the majority of the crowd, still wants to hear Blackbird, Come to Life, Open Your Eyes, and the rest of the usual staple tracks. I'm all for wanting deeper cuts, for certain, but I understand why they still play the regular stuff. It's still pretty damn good no matter how many outlets I heard it from.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Maryland show was fantastic! They played "Calm the Fire" (!!!) for someone who requested it on ShipRocked and they were unable to play it then for whatever reason, so they had promised to play it at the MD show. They also played "Island of Fools", which was epiiiiic! My first time seeing both songs live, so I'm super glad I decided to attend. Myles also did the Wonderful Life/Watch Over You medley, which I think is also the first time I've seen live as well.

The venue was honestly way too full—to the point where I struggled to even reach the bar for a drink—but the crowd was really enthusiastic and I guess I should be grateful for the good attendance.

Awesome night!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

abw1987 wrote:The venue was honestly way too full—to the point where I struggled to even reach the bar for a drink—but the crowd was really enthusiastic and I guess I should be grateful for the good attendance.
Wow, surprised to hear the venue was way too full. Last headlining venue they played in Maryland was Rams Head Live and that was 1,500 people, sold out and all and there's the Billboard Boxoffice proof on that one. The venue they played today was The Fillmore Silver Spring which has 2,000 people capacity. It's a good sign that people are coming in packed crowds.

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

SchwiizVT12 wrote:
Drumkidstu wrote:
AHart96 wrote:
Seems like they finally played My Champion in the original tuning, it's definitely noticeable compared to previous videos. I think it sounds great
It appears so. Traditionally Mark had been in Either just Drop B or the actual tuning for the song so B G# C# F# A# D# and Myles was in Open C#5 so C# G# C# G# C# C#.
On the record, Myles plays this song in Open F# major (same tuning as In Loving Memory), not Open C#5.
I agree with you for the in the studio part; however, they are notorious for not using the same tunings live. THis is Marks rig for the current tour. He has two guitars for each tuning. (from left too right) The guitar on the stand and the joe fenton one are a full step down. The next two are in their drop Bb tuning (Bb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb). The next two are in Drop Db. The next two are the seven strings in a step and a half down standard. The next two are in Drop B. The final two on the right I can't make out, but because Ghosts and Open your eyes are in the set list we can assume open Db5. What this shows me is that Mark is playing My Champion in Drop B which is not the tuning he uses on the record. And with Myles using the same guitar live that he uses on Open Your Eyes, it can reasonably be assumed that he would be in open Db5 tuning. It would be detrimental to retune a guitar that much midway through the set. It is not impossible, but it really messes with the intonation of the instrument, plus you risk breaking a string.
https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/ph ... =3&theater

This is from the same concert. Myles is using the same guitar on Open your eyes. It wouldn't be necessarily impossible to play Open Your Eyes in Open Gb but I think it much more likely that he is using Db5 for both songs. That being said I can't find any good shots of his rig and I might be completely wrong.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Shitty quality after the intro though:

That intro is still one of the best things they've ever written.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

abw1987 wrote:Maryland show was fantastic! They played "Calm the Fire" (!!!) for someone who requested it on ShipRocked and they were unable to play it then for whatever reason, so they had promised to play it at the MD show. They also played "Island of Fools", which was epiiiiic! My first time seeing both songs live, so I'm super glad I decided to attend. Myles also did the Wonderful Life/Watch Over You medley, which I think is also the first time I've seen live as well.

The venue was honestly way too full—to the point where I struggled to even reach the bar for a drink—but the crowd was really enthusiastic and I guess I should be grateful for the good attendance.

Awesome night!
so bummed I didn't go now! been dying for CTF live, especially after they did it at the Boston sound check! that was a tease since Myles didn't sing the whole thing! lol. I wish I knew someone had requested it for that show on SR and I would've made sure to be there! oh well. lol.
that's what I was hearing about Starland last time. so full people had a hard time moving around. I think that kind of thing doesn't affect you as much on the rail since you're not completely surrounded by people, so I didn't feel that, but others further back said it was pretty full. that's why I'm kind of surprised they're back there again and think they should find somewhere in that central-ish Jersey area that's a bit bigger.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Hahahaha I totally thought Tracy's gonna be soooo jealous when they started playing it!! Shame you guys couldn't make it down but I guess you never know when they'll play which songs.

To be honest I kind of had trouble really appreciating the moment since I was so far back in the venue (this was my view for the majority of the show) and I was surrounded by casual fans who had no interest in deep cuts like CTF and IOF. And yeah... that place was way too crowded. Absolute gridlock everywhere I went. Hopefully Starland isn't quite as bad but I suspect you're right about it being too small.

On the bright side the band really seemed to enjoy the packed house. Just a sea of people wall to wall, and most folks were rocking out.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

That IOF performance from last night... Myles on point, one of few times I didn't mind his speak-singing.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Wow dude, I just watched of the IOF videos from Friday, and yeah... these guys are super tight. Everything sounds good in person but if it translates well to YouTube, you know they nailed it. I can't imagine how challenging those sustained high notes are for Myles but he managed them beautifully. And holy crap Mark's solo at the end – just breathtaking.