The Last Hero - Rhythm Appreciation

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: The Last Hero - Rhythm Appreciation

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:I've only listened to this record casually while in the car or while sitting in my office, so I haven't really done much of a "put on headphones and concentrate" kind of listen. But I can't remember anything from Brian on this album...which it's a shame you have to be paying that close of attention to even hear his playing.
Having Bass Boosters for your car/stereo speakers helps fix that problem :P He's definitely still there.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Andy92 wrote:I've only listened to this record casually while in the car or while sitting in my office, so I haven't really done much of a "put on headphones and concentrate" kind of listen. But I can't remember anything from Brian on this album...which it's a shame you have to be paying that close of attention to even hear his playing.
Having Bass Boosters for your car/stereo speakers helps fix that problem :P He's definitely still there.
The album is already bloated enough on the LFE as is. We still need to hear the bass, we don't need to only feel it. We're not talking sub-20Hz frequencies here. Not sure why this was mixed the way it was.

I have a home theater system that totals up to about $10,000 worth of equipment plus room correction and speaker calibration. If I say it sounds bloated because of that, then it sounds bloated. Heh.

But you're not wrong... he is definitely still there. I'm just saying you don't need bass boosters to hear/"feel" his impact.

This mix was seriously such a mess.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah, there's a difference between feeling the bass thumping and hearing the notes. I've never had this much trouble making out Brian's parts on an album before.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

gbruin wrote: I really like the drum patterns in Poison In Your Veins, esp in the chorus. It's one of the best parts of the song for me.
I agree, his drumming is stellar in that song.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

His drumming in the intro of Crows is really cool as well.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Timotheus wrote:His drumming in the intro of Crows is really cool as well.
Definitely, as well as the intro to Show Me A Leader.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Flet
Brand New Start

Post by Flet »

gbruin wrote:
mikeyd23 wrote:
gbruin wrote:Flip has always been great, but he really upped his game on Fortress and has gone beyond that on The Last Hero to make the drums a really creative and dynamic part of the music. I could say the same for BMarsh, but I do wish that his bass was more prominent in the mix.
Agreed on both counts. Flip has continued to progress as a drummer in terms of creativity and chops but has managed to maintain "his" sound and groove. Also - Brian has some GREAT stuff going on on TLH, you just have to really be listening for it most of the time.
:cheers Totally, and I've listened carefully to catch it. I know it's a separate topic that has been discussed plenty, but I wish I didn't have to work that hard to hear an instrument.
Yeah, sums it up. We shouldn't have to work hard to hear any instrument. Hence the productions issues.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Time to start a petition to be able to hear BMarsh on AB VI.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

claudiocc
Bought The CDs

Post by claudiocc »

Totall agree....but man, I have seen The Living Colour last nigth in Barcelona and I could not believe how the bass was played. Unreal, absolutely amazing. Anyway Flip and Brian are really topping their game. But for me the best on this album are the riffs and the rhythm guitar of Mark....somebosy complained on this forum, so I started to pay big attention to it, and man....Mark has really having ome incredible grooving rhythm . All rhythm section is awesome

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

One Drew Remains wrote:Time to start a petition to be able to hear BMarsh on AB VI.
... And Justice for Brian?

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Absolutely.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23