The Last Hero - Rhythm Appreciation

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Altered Bridge
Brand New Start

The Last Hero - Rhythm Appreciation

Post by Altered Bridge »

The Last Hero is a phenominal sounding album but it's easy to focus on Myles and Mark and (almost) forget about the equally dominating Scott and Brian. Maybe I'm just biased (being a drummer) but this album is by far far in my opinion the best work I've heard Scott do, and that's including the side projects Walking With Giants and Projected.

He's really stepped up another level I feel compared to previous albums. A lot more double pedal work as well and some very nice changes in pace. I especially like just the simple beat at the start of The Other Side, makes the guitars seem even chuggier.

Bass is just as awesome on this album, Brian may just sit in the background but he always writes some fantastic parts and follows the guitars beautifully.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Last Hero - Rhythm Appreciation

Post by WaywardOne »

It's a shame that it's so difficult to hear the bass 90% of the time - hard for me to give many shout outs to it.

I agree 100% with you on the drumming though. Flip made some huge changes on starting on Fortress and sounds at his best now. I think the mods said in their Island of Fools review "we have reached peak Flip" - couldn't agree more!

Altered Bridge
Brand New Start

Post by Altered Bridge »

Couldn't agree more either, especially as I don't think I could emulate him any further than this album lol

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Flip does all the little things right on this album while still maintaining that signature Flip groove and style. I'd say this record, overall, is his strongest.

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

This is my favorite track here in the early going.

OMG at 4:13, Hurt my neck the first time I heard that part.

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

Flips drumming on the song TLH is immense! Love it, prob my favourite track of his on the album
Even his drumming on YWBR and MC is good too, ive always been a fan (being a drummer) of his style anyway so im biased too :D

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! If you hadn't started this thread, I would have. Yes, Myles and Mark brought it of course but I think nobody brought it more this album than Flip and he MAXED OUT brought it on the title track. He is all over the place in that song and in a good way. I too am a drummer and what the OP can understand but a lot of non-drummers wouldn't is that all that starting/stopping and change of pace isn't easy to come up with and perform. There's a lot of subtlety in Flip's playing that goes unappreciated but there's also the bombastic beats you can hear and you're just like, "WTF?!?!" I can't get enough of this album.

Altered Bridge
Brand New Start

Post by Altered Bridge »

Exactly, it takes a lot of work to come up with something that fits right and of course all the changes in tempo. It annoys the hell out of me when people think that all drumming is is bashing around on an instrument (which frustratingly still happens regularly!) Drumming on This Side of Fate and The Last Hero is just amazing, so many nice little touches and fills in there. And the intro to Island Of Fools just blew me away! Was NOT expecting that \m/

Flet
Brand New Start

Post by Flet »

Altered Bridge wrote:The Last Hero is a phenominal sounding album but it's easy to focus on Myles and Mark and (almost) forget about the equally dominating Scott and Brian. Maybe I'm just biased (being a drummer) but this album is by far far in my opinion the best work I've heard Scott do, and that's including the side projects Walking With Giants and Projected.

He's really stepped up another level I feel compared to previous albums. A lot more double pedal work as well and some very nice changes in pace. I especially like just the simple beat at the start of The Other Side, makes the guitars seem even chuggier.

Bass is just as awesome on this album, Brian may just sit in the background but he always writes some fantastic parts and follows the guitars beautifully.
Wait...there's Bass and Drums on this album? Somehow I missed them....must be my speakers or headphones ;)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Hard to miss the drums on this album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Just recently started appreciating the drumming on The Writing On The Wall a lot more. Nothing incredibly technical, it just seems to have an extra kick to it that always hits at just right moments. Definitely makes a big difference on that song!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I know it's not a hugely popular song. But I have liked The Writings on the Wall since the first time I heard it. Great drumming and riffing in that one.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Yup, Writing on the Wall has probably grown on me more than any other track. At first, it seemed decent, now I really enjoy it. Flip's playing has a lot to do with that.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Flip has always been great, but he really upped his game on Fortress and has gone beyond that on The Last Hero to make the drums a really creative and dynamic part of the music. I could say the same for BMarsh, but I do wish that his bass was more prominent in the mix.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

gbruin wrote:Flip has always been great, but he really upped his game on Fortress and has gone beyond that on The Last Hero to make the drums a really creative and dynamic part of the music. I could say the same for BMarsh, but I do wish that his bass was more prominent in the mix.
Agreed on both counts. Flip has continued to progress as a drummer in terms of creativity and chops but has managed to maintain "his" sound and groove. Also - Brian has some GREAT stuff going on on TLH, you just have to really be listening for it most of the time.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

mikeyd23 wrote:
gbruin wrote:Flip has always been great, but he really upped his game on Fortress and has gone beyond that on The Last Hero to make the drums a really creative and dynamic part of the music. I could say the same for BMarsh, but I do wish that his bass was more prominent in the mix.
Agreed on both counts. Flip has continued to progress as a drummer in terms of creativity and chops but has managed to maintain "his" sound and groove. Also - Brian has some GREAT stuff going on on TLH, you just have to really be listening for it most of the time.
:cheers Totally, and I've listened carefully to catch it. I know it's a separate topic that has been discussed plenty, but I wish I didn't have to work that hard to hear an instrument.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

To be honest, I don't really hear any progress in Flip's drumming, it's just as 'regular' as on previous efforts, so - let's face it - nothing really outstanding. I'm not gonna discuss Brian's playing cause I still don't quite hear the bass on the record.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Dolo wrote:To be honest, I don't really hear any progress in Flip's drumming, it's just as 'regular' as on previous efforts, so - let's face it - nothing really outstanding. I'm not gonna discuss Brian's playing cause I still don't quite hear the bass on the record.
Ah, glad that's cleared up then. :lol

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I've only listened to this record casually while in the car or while sitting in my office, so I haven't really done much of a "put on headphones and concentrate" kind of listen. But I can't remember anything from Brian on this album...which it's a shame you have to be paying that close of attention to even hear his playing.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Dolo wrote:To be honest, I don't really hear any progress in Flip's drumming, it's just as 'regular' as on previous efforts, so - let's face it - nothing really outstanding. I'm not gonna discuss Brian's playing cause I still don't quite hear the bass on the record.
I really like the drum patterns in Poison In Your Veins, esp in the chorus. It's one of the best parts of the song for me.