Solos on The Last Hero

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Jim
Blood Machines

Re: Solos on The Last Hero

Post by Jim »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
Jim wrote:That one tiny run before they go into 'have we reached the end?'

I'm sure he was referring to everything from 5:44 onwards
Nope, Monty got it.
the whole lead part at the end of that song, is Mark

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Stating the obvious

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:Oh, definitely. Mark is a brilliant guitarist, there's no denying that.
Well, well, well.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Trmills823
Brand New Start

Post by Trmills823 »

mikeyd23 wrote:I think this album is by leaps and bounds Myles' best effort in terms of solos. Clearly, to my ears at least, his approach of composing solos beforehand rather than improvising them in studio paid off. His leads still have that signature Myles style with his amazing bends and vibrato, but you can easily notice the extra effort in some of the more well thought out runs and detailed licks within his leads. Really good stuff.

Controversial opinion: Myles' solos are better on this record, as a whole, than Mark's are.
I think I have to agree with you Mike. Mark's solos are more diverse than the last album or two, but all around I do like Myles's approach better. I must say though, Mark's solo on Island of Fools is ridiculous. Becoming one of my favorites.

Edit: I'm just glad Mark got away from the constant triplet three-note arpeggios that he utilized in almost every single solo on Fortress. I feel like they both pushed one another to try different things this time. And we all benefited because of it. :rockon

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

Is it really that surprising that Myles Solo's are better? He is the better guitarist by Mark's own admission.
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Will wrote:Is it really that surprising that Myles Solo's are better? He is the better guitarist by Mark's own admission.
Not for me. Maybe for others though. Even so, we never really got a taste of that until two of his solos on this album. Also not including his Cosmic Dust soloing which is for a completely different genre and time period.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Stating the obvious

Post by Timotheus »

Andy92 wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Oh, definitely. Mark is a brilliant guitarist, there's no denying that.
Well, well, well.
Can't even say that word anymore without being shamed into oblivion. THX Myles.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

Myles solo's are great on this CD. It seems in the past he has tried to take a bit of a back seat to Mark, because Mark is the lead guitarist in the band. I think Myles also wanted to be different than Mark's playing, by sticking with slower and more jazzier type solo's. Apparently with TLH that approach went out the window. As far as Myles being better, well that's debatable. I know Mark says Myles is better, but how much of that is honesty and how much is modesty?

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Modesty imo. All though it depends how you define 'better'. Technically more proficient, or their ability to produce a sound that's more pleasing?

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

I think Myles is more technically proficient. I'd say he's a cleaner player too.

However, as for who produces a better sound? That's a bit unfair considering Myles only writes so many guitar parts while Mark has been writing the bulk of it for over a decade now. It's a little easier to look good when you can channel all your creativity into a few riffs and solos. Come talk to me when Myles has written an entire AB album on his own.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

phatnonphatness wrote:I think Myles is more technically proficient. I'd say he's a cleaner player too.

However, as for who produces a better sound? That's a bit unfair considering Myles only writes so many guitar parts while Mark has been writing the bulk of it for over a decade now. It's a little easier to look good when you can channel all your creativity into a few riffs and solos. Come talk to me when Myles has written an entire AB album on his own.
If we are talking strictly solos, then yeah I agree. Mark has been under the gun to write A LOT of solos for AB over the last 12 years. Add to that his solo stuff, it's tough to keep things fresh. Myles is doing more leads now but still obviously has done a lot less than Mark.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

The thing with something like this is that it's okay to say that one person is better than another at it. It works with absolutely everything in life. Sports, building houses, flying planes, painting, dancing. That doesn't take away from the fact that it's okay for people to be different and appeal to others with those differences.

I know fully that I am in no position to say who is the better guitarist of the 2, I am not an informed enough musician to make that kind of bold statement. But what I can say is who's style I prefer. Of course one of them IS better than the other but that fact doesn't matter whatsoever when they make such different music. It's those differentials that are driving this conversation I believe, not their actual level of talent. Because we aren't to know, all we can talk about is our opinion on who's playing we prefer, not state whom is better than whom

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I guess let's put it this way:

Is Myles capable of playing all of Mark's solos?

Okay, is Mark capable of playing all of Myles' solos?

There are so many ways to define "best guitarist," but this is just one of the many. You could also go to who writes better solos, who can improvise better solos, who can play fastest, who can play cleanest... the list goes on and on. And this is just talking about solos! Never mind any other kind of riff, chord progression, etc.

I still think Mark is the better guitarist, but I am in no way shaming Myles when I say that. Same with Myles and Mark as singers.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I guess let's put it this way:

Is Myles capable of playing all of Mark's solos?

Okay, is Mark capable of playing all of Myles' solos?
Probably not the best way to evaluate it man. They write their own solo's based on how the song sounds, the melodies required and the chords involved (amongst other factors). You can't say "but Myles could never play Mark's Blackbird solo so Mark is a better guitarist" because that solo is only written for that song by Mark, and has been covered by a thousand guitarists around the world.

As I said, there's no real way for us to determine who is better and it actually doesn't matter. They write their lead parts accordingly.

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

fix wrote:^ Nah, that's Marks favourite solo, and his favourite of the record.
Wow. That definitely doesnt sound like Mark.
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Not for me. Maybe for others though. Even so, we never really got a taste of that until two of his solos on this album. Also not including his Cosmic Dust soloing which is for a completely different genre and time period.
Disagreed. His solos on the last album were excellent too.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

The half note down bend theme used twice in the last of our kind solo is a trademark Mark (hehe) thing. All Hope Is Gone solo for example. Has Tremonster written all over it
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Poison In Your Veins solo is amazing.

And when it comes to one vs the other, I love Myles, but Mark has something unique about him that makes his guitar playing special. I've been listening to ODR a lot lately, and his ability to create these immensely pleasing riffs and shred these solos while still being melodic is incredible. The OYE solo is the perfect example, not to mention the soaring riffs on almost every song.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Mark did say the Last Of Our Kind solo was his favorite right? It's soooooo boring!!! I'm really missing something with his newer style of playing, his solos just don't inspire me anymore.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

^ I agree. I liked other more as well... This one has too many things I've already heard from him.

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

Its definitely a less is more solo.

Flet
Brand New Start

Post by Flet »

One Drew Remains wrote:I wouldn't say Mark's solos on Fortress are weak at all. Cry of Achilles, Bleed It Dry, Peace Is Broken, all really good solos.
Bleed it Dry is my favourite solo from Mark. It is so reminiscent of another that I have to believe there was some influence. Have you heard of a Band called Savatage? Their album Edge of Thorns from 1993 has a song called Follow Me. Take a listen to the whole solo and tell me it isn't similar.