Favourite Song from The Last Hero

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

Favourite Song From The Last Hero (Choose one only)

Show Me A Leader
No votes
The Writing On The Wall
2%
The Other Side
3%
My Champion
3%
Poison In Your Veins
1%
Cradle To The Grave
10%
Losing Patience
1%
This Side Of Fate
10%
You Will Be Remembered
3%
Crows On A Wire
7%
Twilight
1%
Island Of Fools
25%
The Last Hero
24%
Last Of Our Kind / Symphony Of Agony
1%
Breathe
6%

Total votes: 87

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: Favourite Song from The Last Hero

Post by austinjhnsn »

Definitely agree w ya Trmills! Cradle and Island are the best for sure.
Thanks Timo!

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Box Of Frogz wrote:I just don't get the This Side Of Fate love, it's just bleh to me!
If you listen close at 1:23, you can hear Myles eating a banana. Totally makes or breaks the song, imo.

---On a separate note, every time it's about to go into the This Side of Fate chorus, I keep thinking the song is going to go into the Make It Right chorus.

Trmills823 wrote: And Blackbird will forever be their greatest song.
Box Of Frogz wrote:I just don't get the This Side Of Fate love, it's just bleh to me!
Hmm, what is AB's 2nd or 3rd best song? Idk, perhaps we already discussed this.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

One week later, and I STILL can't pick a #1 song! Island of Fools was the front runner, but This Side of Fate is constantly in my head and I love it.... I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to choose between the two (The Other Side lurks as a not-so-distant third...)!

I guess I vote for Island of Fate... or is it This Side of Fools? Ugh.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Its a melodic masterpiece and Myles vocals are heavenly and his solo matches it

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

cheesedip1 wrote:Hmm, what is AB's 2nd or 3rd best song? Idk, perhaps we already discussed this.
Blackbird. Cry of Achilles is king
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Trmills823 wrote: i know I'm not one that prefers their heaviest stuff over the ballads or more straight rock songs. But there's something about the melody in the chorus and bridge. It's perfectly in Myles's sweet spot. High, but not always stratospheric. I hear passion in his vocals. The guitar parts compliment each other well. And Tremonti's solo is crazy.

But ask me tomorrow, and Cradle will be my favorite. It's just come down to those two for me and it has everything to do with how well written the melodies are.

And Blackbird will forever be their greatest song.
So much truth to all this. But specifically in regards to Island of Fools, I know for me I don't love it just simply because it's heavy. That's selling the song short, it's beautifully arranged, every guitar riff is stellar, every vocal melody is stellar, the groove section crushes it. It's a complete song.

There are several songs on this record that I like, but I find myself waiting until they get to the next part of the song, cause it's really good. Meaning - I'm looking past the part they are on in that moment. That does not happen to me with Island of Fools because every single section of the song is great, I'm never looking past a verse to wait till they get to that killer chorus. I'm never bored during an interlude, I'm never waiting for the chorus to be over so they hit that bridge. It's all good.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AHart96 wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:Hmm, what is AB's 2nd or 3rd best song? Idk, perhaps we already discussed this.
Blackbird. Cry of Achilles is king
Slip to the Void (behind Blackbird) for me.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Island Of Fools for me. TLH and Cradle are close 2nd's though.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Musically speaking, Island Of Fools is moderately interesting but sonically it's... problematic. At times it's a whirlwind of indiscernible sounds and ideas. Undoubtedly held back by Baskette's lackluster production. I find it baffling that it's the favorite of so many people here.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I'm either surprised or not surprised the amount of flack Writing's on the Wall gets when it sounds a hell of a lot like Isolation.

Not that it's my favorite song either (and for that matter many here might not like Isolation), but it's far from their worst track ever.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I can't do this. Not yet, anyway.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

nildiven
Bought The CDs

Post by nildiven »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I'm either surprised or not surprised the amount of flack Writing's on the Wall gets when it sounds a hell of a lot like Isolation.

Not that it's my favorite song either (and for that matter many here might not like Isolation), but it's far from their worst track ever.
I think writing on the wall is pretty good, not great. But I think Isolation is much better and don't really feel they are that similar aside from being uptempo hard rock tracks.

Ronn Drummer
Brand New Start

Post by Ronn Drummer »

The Last Hero for me. Island Of Fools is very close tbh
The simple man receiving, defending every crime
Somehow still believing they're alright, so hypnotized...

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

nildiven wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I'm either surprised or not surprised the amount of flack Writing's on the Wall gets when it sounds a hell of a lot like Isolation.

I think writing on the wall is pretty good, not great. But I think Isolation is much better and don't really feel they are that similar aside from being uptempo hard rock tracks.
Now that I'm thinking back, I think I meant to say I Know It Hurts, not Isolation.

I think both of those songs trump this song though, if not for their mixes alone.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think Writing on the Wall is just poorly placed within the track listing. It's kind of a drag to have that song come 2nd. Wish it was Crows there instead.

I don't think Writing on the Wall is a terrible song, but I don't think it's good enough to be the 2nd track when you compare it to stuff like ODR, Ties That Bind, Isolation, and Addicted to Pain.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

anguyen92 wrote:^^ Andy, Come to Life was the second song on Blackbird, not Ties That Bind.
Yeah, I mean cmon man? And you call yourself a real AB fan? The shame, oh the shame...

;)

Green_Hammock
Brand New Start

Post by Green_Hammock »

I voted for My Champion. It's the first song I listen to in the morning and just really reminds me of something off ODR, it has that uplifting feel that I love in AB. Don't get me wrong though, because I also love the heavy and dark songs. My other two favourites are The Last Hero and This Side of Fate.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

1:21 AM was not the best time to write that post I see...

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

My Champion. I fell in love with that song by the first chorus. 2nd fav is probably TLH.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23