Your Top 5 From The Last Hero

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

Your Top 5 From The Last Hero

Show Me A Leader
3%
The Writing On The Wall
4%
The Other Side
9%
My Champion
5%
Poison In Your Veins
3%
Cradle To The Grave
14%
Losing Patience
2%
This Side Of Fate
13%
You Will Be Remembered
3%
Crows On A Wire
9%
Twilight
2%
Island of Fools
14%
The Last Hero
15%
The Last Of Our Kind/Symphony of Agony
2%
Breathe
2%

Total votes: 483

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Your Top 5 From The Last Hero

Post by cheesedip1 »

The beginning of Last Hero reminds me of some other song. I think it's an AB song. Which one tho? Like, I'm trying to remember which AB song it reminds me of.

Green_Hammock
Brand New Start

Post by Green_Hammock »

The top 4 were pretty easy to pick: The Last Hero, My Champion, This Side of Fate, You Will Be Remembered. There are a lot of other good songs that are up there but I went with Crows on a Wire for #5.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Let's hope the band will have a look at this poll when they build their forecoming setlist.
The majority of fans doesn't about much about My Champion and Show Me a Leader.

Green_Hammock
Brand New Start

Post by Green_Hammock »

chtimixeur wrote:Let's hope the band will have a look at this poll when they build their forecoming setlist.
You could also say that's because the majority of fans listened to these tracks many many times before the album came out, therefore they like the fresh songs more.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Let's hope the band will have a look at this poll when they build their forecoming setlist.
Doubt that'll happen. Might hear 2 new songs if we're lucky haha.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

1. Poison in Your Veins - In a minority here but I loved this track since I heard it for the first time and still do so. The Second verse really connects with me with what I'm going through currently. Love the guitar effect in the verse and the solo as well.

2. Cradle to the Grave: No need of explanation.

3. This Side of Fate: Great fingerpicked intro transitioning to a heavy riff ( I think I can say the same for Cradle as well). Amazing solo by both Myles and Mark. The only "epic" song for me in the album.

4. Twilight: The strumming in the beginning reminds me of "Drown With Me" by Porcupine Tree. Love the lyrics and the melody. This song also has my favorite solo on the album.

5. Island of Fools: Love every moment of this song. The melody in the bridge is absolutely amazing and it constantly plays in my head. The skull shattering intro riff combined with that Tremonstrous solo and you have another song in my Alter Bridge all time favorites' list.

The trio of Twilight-Island-Hero is one of the best trio in their discography IMO.

These are my current favorites. The songs which I skip are SMAL, TOS, MC, LP, COaW, Symphony(Solo is nice though).

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

Agree about it being a great trilogy of songs. Twilight is probably number 6 on my list. I get an ODR vibe from it just as much as My Champion or You Will Be Remembered.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Re: Favorite song(s) from The Last Hero

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:1. Cradle to the Grave
2. This Side of Fate
3. The Last Hero
4. Losing Patience
5. Crows on a Wire

I'm starting a "I actually like Losing Patience" club, if anyone wants in.
It's my least favorite song on the album, but one of my favorite bridges on the album. I find myself listening to that song just to get to the bridge. I think what holds it back for me is the chorus.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

chtimixeur wrote:Let's hope the band will have a look at this poll when they build their forecoming setlist.
I like both of these songs a lot, they just didn't make my top 5. I'd like to hear My Champion close out a show instead of Rise Today. Both of these songs are just outside my top 5, around the middle of the album.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jamvol
Brand New Start

Post by Jamvol »

Seems like there's a pretty clear top 4 at least. It will be interesting to see which, if any, of these tracks they play live in future shows.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

cheesedip1 wrote:The beginning of Last Hero reminds me of some other song. I think it's an AB song. Which one tho? Like, I'm trying to remember which AB song it reminds me of.
Not an AB song, but the first few seconds (minus the vocals) remind me of the way Crack the Skye starts. The similarities end quickly though.

Green_Hammock
Brand New Start

Post by Green_Hammock »

I really like Losing Patience, it would have to be in my top half of the album, but not quite my top 5. I may have an unpopular opinion about Cradle to the Grave, because I love the verse, the guitars, pretty much everything but I think the chorus is very average and ruins it a little bit for me. I'm a much bigger fan of the other "epics" This Side of Fate and The Last Hero

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

The Last Hero
This Side of Fate
Island of Fools
Cradle To The Grave
The Other Side

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

In no particular order:

- Writing on the Wall: The start isn't the strongest, the chorus is okay, but damn that bridge.
- My Champion: That little lick is interesting, but the lyrics, as cheesy as they may be, are exactly what I need right now.
- Cradle to the Grave: Does anyone get a sort of Scandinavian Metal vibe from this song up until the end of the first verse?
- You Will Be Remembered: Simple but effective.
- Island of Fools: One of the best songs Alter Bridge has put together, in my opinion.

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

The Other Side
My Champion
Cradle To The Grave
This Side Of Fate
Crows On A Wire

the first times the first track wasn't one of the better songs. What a shame. :facepalm
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Really easy to decide on the first four song, really, really hard to decide on the fifth. At the moment, The Last Hero probably isn't in my top 5, but choosing between Show Me A Leader, Poison In Your Veins and Twilight was rough. Anyhow, here's my top 5, and it's actually ordered.

1 - Cradle To The Grave
2 - This Side Of Fate
3 - Island Of Fools
4 - The Other Side
5 - Show Me A Leader

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I'm actually pretty surprised by how many people don't seem to like Show me a Leader. I think it kicks off the album perfectly.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

VigilantSteve wrote:I'm actually pretty surprised by how many people don't seem to like Show me a Leader. I think it kicks off the album perfectly.
:yeahthat It's easily in my top 5
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

AHart96 wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:I'm actually pretty surprised by how many people don't seem to like Show me a Leader. I think it kicks off the album perfectly.
:yeahthat It's easily in my top 5
It's only barely outside of my top 5, and that's just because there are some spectacular songs on this album, IMO

ElliotYork
Brand New Start

Re: Favorite song(s) from The Last Hero

Post by ElliotYork »

Ubik wrote:Island of Fools - Best all-out heavy song they've ever done, amazing for every second
The Last Hero - Cry of Achilles's twin, so many good things about this song from the intermittent verse riff to Myles' tragic voice in the breakdown.
This Side of Fate - Lover meets Words Darker meets Calm the Fire, with an absurdly brilliant solo from Myles. A bridge to insanity.
Cradle to the Grave - Blackbird rightly gets due credit as a beautiful ode to the memory of Myles's friend, but a more common preoccupation of his writing is dealing with the knowledge that those still with him will eventually will be taken away, and this is his best effort at tackling it yet.
The Other Side - Dark and ambiguous but catchy, a less desolate version of Show Me A Sign (which is also awesome but you need to be in the mood).

Was tempted to put Writing on the Wall as fifth since it'll likely get less love overall, but The Other Side couldn't be ignored.
Super late to this thread, and I very closely agree with you except for the fact that I picked The Writing on the Wall over The Other Side because I feel it is so unjustly ignored. It is such a tight, high-energy song with awesome riffs in the verses, a very catchy chorus and a cool bridge. I don't understand why more people aren't talking about it.

That being said, The Other Side might be the *better* song in terms of being more involved and original, but I think I also generally side with faster-paced metal rather than the sludgier, doom-ier kind (unless it's getting into that melodic, progressive vibe, then it's totally my jam).

And yes, Island of Fools is the best all-out, kickass, balls-to-the-wall metal track they've ever done. Obviously the main riff is excellent, and probably the heaviest the band have ever gone, but there are a lot of equally excellent riffs happening during the verses and bridge. I see it as the evolution and perfection of tracks such as White Knuckles and Farther than the Sun. So great.

Definitely a lot of similarities between The Last Hero and Cry of Achilles, in that they both have a high-energy, riff-focused sound, which is uncommon for longer, more progressive songs by AB. They were both written quite spontaneously in the studio, from my understanding, so they also have that in common. I struggle deciding which one I like more, and I go back and forth, but I might just side with CoA because I feel like the journey it takes you on is a little bigger and it does so in 10 seconds less.

This Side of Fate is incredible, and when I first heard it I believed it was the second best song the band has written (after Blackbird). I'm less sure of that now, but it's still definitely a top 5 track from their catalogue in my opinion. Myles' solo is god-like, and one of the best he's ever done. I think it's the best solo on the record, and Mark's solo might also be his best solo on the album. If TLH is the counterpart of CoA, I see TSoF as the counterpart to Fortress: moody, melodic song that abruptly breaks into a very intense, heavy bridge-segment. I think it might lose out to Fortress in the lyrics department, but it's still an amazing track.

Interesting point you made their about Cradle to the Grave, and Myles' equal (or greater preoccupation) with the fear of imminent loss rather than grief over past losses. This is an amazing track and has some of his better vocals on the album, particularly in the verses. I do think a little of the beauty is lost after the second chorus, and although the bridge and solo are amazing I did sort of hope for a return of the sombreness of the verses. Still easily a top 5 track from the album though.