The Last Hero Release Date Concert Live Stream

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: The Last Hero Release Date Concert Live Stream

Post by austinjhnsn »

So pissed that I missed this.

If the guys are reading this, PLEASE release this in the future.
Thanks Timo!

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

The Plotblocker wrote:Don't get me wrong, they are still the most amazing live act going!
Are they though? This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to weigh some pros and cons of going to an Alter Bridge gig:

Pros:
- Talented musicians.
- Great songs.
- A generally pleasant concert atmosphere (most AB fans I've seen at shows aren't jerks).

Cons:
- Sloppy performances, which are especially upsetting considering the level of talent that we all know is on stage (Myles' sing-speaking, Mark's sloppy solos, Flip's inability to stay in time without a click track).
- Out of date set-lists.
- Totally predictable, and not just in terms of the set. AB isn't the type of band to draw out the end of a song like AC/DC and just go nuts, or to have an audience participation experience a la Freddie Mercury at Live Aid. Not saying I expect them to live up to legends, but they could do more here.
- Taking shortcuts on how song arrangements are reproduced live. Myles skips out on vocal fills, they horrendously under-utilize Mark's singing abilities (i.e. He could totally take the lower harmony on the Cry of Achilles chorus and fill it out so that Myles doesn't have to flip between the melody/harmony lines live like he does now). Other songs like Couer D'alene are just missing guitar parts altogether like the lead line that plays in the chorus. They have two guitars. They could do this.
- This one is from personal experience, but their sound mixing is terrible and the guitar tones are muddy as all hell.

I'm not trying to tear the band apart, but they could seriously tighten up their live show. There are much better live acts out there right now in my opinion. I think it's all about finding balance between being tight in musicianship, but loose in terms of performance (being relaxed, having fun, jumping around, etc.). Alter Bridge is the type of band right now that's leaning toward being progressive, and while I can appreciate the musicianship, I'd much rather they write some simpler songs that are well within their abilities that they can just have fun with. Progressive bands tend to be too stiff to be an energetic, fun live show.

The Plotblocker wrote:Exactly. They have had MONTHS to get them ready, and have obviously been rehearsing as a band loads during that time as they are touring now. And that doesn't excuse the lack of Fortress songs either, they have had 3 years to get those songs down.
I think the problem here isn't so much time, but the fact that the song arrangements have gotten a bit too complicated for a band that likes to have multiple side projects going at once. The tracks from ODR and Blackbird are easy to learn and re-learn as a band, as opposed to something like This Side of Fate. There's a reason someone like Dave Grohl can be involved in 15 different things but you don't see the guys from Animals as Leaders doing the same thing. Dave Grohl is writing mainstream rock hits consisting of a few chords and maybe a main riff or bridge riff. Animals as Leaders is writing some of the more progressive music that's out there right now, so you can bet your tush that they're practicing as a band consistently to get and stay tight.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
The Plotblocker wrote:Don't get me wrong, they are still the most amazing live act going!
Are they though? This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to weigh some pros and cons of going to an Alter Bridge gig:

Pros:
- Talented musicians.
- Great songs.
- A generally pleasant concert atmosphere (most AB fans I've seen at shows aren't jerks).

Cons:
- Sloppy performances, which are especially upsetting considering the level of talent that we all know is on stage (Myles' sing-speaking, Mark's sloppy solos, Flip's inability to stay in time without a click track).
- Out of date set-lists.
- Totally predictable, and not just in terms of the set. AB isn't the type of band to draw out the end of a song like AC/DC and just go nuts, or to have an audience participation experience a la Freddie Mercury at Live Aid. Not saying I expect them to live up to legends, but they could do more here.
- Taking shortcuts on how song arrangements are reproduced live. Myles skips out on vocal fills, they horrendously under-utilize Mark's singing abilities (i.e. He could totally take the lower harmony on the Cry of Achilles chorus and fill it out so that Myles doesn't have to flip between the melody/harmony lines live like he does now). Other songs like Couer D'alene are just missing guitar parts altogether like the lead line that plays in the chorus. They have two guitars. They could do this.
- This one is from personal experience, but their sound mixing is terrible and the guitar tones are muddy as all hell.

I'm not trying to tear the band apart, but they could seriously tighten up their live show. There are much better live acts out there right now in my opinion. I think it's all about finding balance between being tight in musicianship, but loose in terms of performance (being relaxed, having fun, jumping around, etc.). Alter Bridge is the type of band right now that's leaning toward being progressive, and while I can appreciate the musicianship, I'd much rather they write some simpler songs that are well within their abilities that they can just have fun with. Progressive bands tend to be too stiff to be an energetic, fun live show.

The Plotblocker wrote:Exactly. They have had MONTHS to get them ready, and have obviously been rehearsing as a band loads during that time as they are touring now. And that doesn't excuse the lack of Fortress songs either, they have had 3 years to get those songs down.
I think the problem here isn't so much time, but the fact that the song arrangements have gotten a bit too complicated for a band that likes to have multiple side projects going at once. The tracks from ODR and Blackbird are easy to learn and re-learn as a band, as opposed to something like This Side of Fate. There's a reason someone like Dave Grohl can be involved in 15 different things but you don't see the guys from Animals as Leaders doing the same thing. Dave Grohl is writing mainstream rock hits consisting of a few chords and maybe a main riff or bridge riff. Animals as Leaders is writing some of the more progressive music that's out there right now, so you can bet your tush that they're practicing as a band consistently to get and stay tight.
Excellent post man, and I must say I agree with you on a lot of those cons. I sadly haven't been to a show since 2011, but even then the wear was starting to show. One of the main things that has grated on my since the Blackbird tour is something you mention, Myles "talk/sing" thing. :slam My word it so fucking annoying Just sing the songs for crying out loud!! I still think they are better than so many other lives acts though, but yeah, they could really do with bringing the their game back up to the ODR/Blackbird tours level.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

The Plotblocker wrote:Excellent post man, and I must say I agree with you on a lot of those cons. I sadly haven't been to a show since 2011, but even then the wear was starting to show. One of the main things that has grated on my since the Blackbird tour is something you mention, Myles "talk/sing" thing. :slam My word it so fucking annoying Just sing the songs for crying out loud!! I still think they are better than so many other lives acts though, but yeah, they could really do with bringing the their game back up to the ODR/Blackbird tours level.
Thanks! And I hate to post something like that, because I remember seeing AB in 2007 and being completely blown away. I know that they're capable of more, but I think they push the musicianship so far to the point of exhausting themselves, and exhausting Myles' voice. Being in a band myself, I know that all of us have a bit more technical capability than what we actually write, but that makes it fun. We can jump around a little bit and know that we aren't going to mess up a riff or lead part.

I think the other problem with Myles' sing-speaking is that he writes vocal lines that he can sing at his tip-top shape without too much trouble, but not on tour playing 4 nights a week or more. We all know the guy can hit some ridiculous notes (see Summergirl on MF4's Second Skin) but not every song needs to show this off. It gets boring when he has to wail on every single song. Breathe was such a refreshing track because he didn't take some crazy high chorus line.

Seeker_1306
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Seeker_1306 »

Love this band more than any other on the planet but you guys are spot on. Myles has gotten so lazy singing lately. If the songs are too high for him I would prefer for the band to tune down a half step more or something. Go back and look at the ODR and BB tours. The energy level is nowhere near those tours now. It's as if they do just enough to get by. Don't get me started on the set lists. It's a shame to have as extensive of a catalog as they do and not change things up. Even the acoustic section. I'm about tired of WOY, BTC, and RT as the only acoustic options whether it be live or for a radio performance.

All this seems to have started around the time Myles joined Slash. Coincidence or not, who knows.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

They're just a lazy live band.
They always play it safe and expect the fans to come and watch the same show once every 3 years.
When I read some talk of a Download headlining spot, I always find it ridiculous. I understand fans being fans and rooting for their favourite band, but Alter Bridge don't have what it takes to entertain a crowd that big.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Jaded Rescue wrote:Thanks! And I hate to post something like that, because I remember seeing AB in 2007 and being completely blown away. I know that they're capable of more, but I think they push the musicianship so far to the point of exhausting themselves, and exhausting Myles' voice. Being in a band myself, I know that all of us have a bit more technical capability than what we actually write, but that makes it fun. We can jump around a little bit and know that we aren't going to mess up a riff or lead part.

I think the other problem with Myles' sing-speaking is that he writes vocal lines that he can sing at his tip-top shape without too much trouble, but not on tour playing 4 nights a week or more. We all know the guy can hit some ridiculous notes (see Summergirl on MF4's Second Skin) but not every song needs to show this off. It gets boring when he has to wail on every single song. Breathe was such a refreshing track because he didn't take some crazy high chorus line.
Yeah man, same here. Seeing them live for the first time was what truly secured my life long fandom! I was just completely blown away by how tight they were, and how brilliantly they worked the crowd and got everyone singing every fucking word at the top of their voices! Still one of the best concert experiences of my life. That is why is saddens me so much to see them essentially half it 90% of the time these days.
I can kinda give Myles a pass, being a singer myself I know how much strain he puts his voice under, and so much too. With his constant touring and recording life style I am surprised he hasn;t completely shot it out already. But if I were him I would just tell the world I am taking a fucking break and get it sorted out. Hopefully with Slash being so busy with GnR atm it may give a chance after this tour to rest it a little. Though I can see more chance og him going straight back into a studio to work on his solo album, cos that is just the kinda hardcore muthafucka he is.
Yeah, the other thing we have to take into account with Myles voice is the difference between singing with or without a guitar. It effects your accentuations, timing and also bounces against you effecting your breathing too.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Seeker_1306 wrote:Love this band more than any other on the planet but you guys are spot on. Myles has gotten so lazy singing lately. If the songs are too high for him I would prefer for the band to tune down a half step more or something. Go back and look at the ODR and BB tours. The energy level is nowhere near those tours now. It's as if they do just enough to get by. Don't get me started on the set lists. It's a shame to have as extensive of a catalog as they do and not change things up. Even the acoustic section. I'm about tired of WOY, BTC, and RT as the only acoustic options whether it be live or for a radio performance.

All this seems to have started around the time Myles joined Slash. Coincidence or not, who knows.
Right there with you. I actually groan when Myles pulls out the acoustic now. Like yay, Watch Over You done exactly the same again........ :facepalm

I do think the Slash timing is not entirely coincidental. Slash has been playing the same songs in set lists for decades now lol. Plus as mentioned before the extra workload obviously plays it part.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Slash changes up his setlist a lot more than Alter Bridge does. The World on Fire tour was a disappointing, but still way ahead of Alter Bridge when it comes to that.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Well am I late to the party or what? :D It was only streamed on youtube, no better audio quality?

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Uuuuugh release this already :(
Thanks Timo!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

It's on YouTube in full, dude.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Yeah people have uploaded it to YouTube, but the keep getting pulled. It is also on torrent sites in 1080p.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I tried watching it.
I had to turn it off after 5 songs. It all sounded muddy to my ears, and fors the first time with AB, I was just flat out bored.
As a few members have said, the lack of a proper clean tone in Broken Wings is a bad idea. This song used to be magical. Now, it's not. How do they not hear it ?

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

chtimixeur wrote:I tried watching it.
I had to turn it off after 5 songs. It all sounded muddy to my ears, and fors the first time with AB, I was just flat out bored.
As a few members have said, the lack of a proper clean tone in Broken Wings is a bad idea. This song used to be magical. Now, it's not. How do they not hear it ?
The lack of clean tones in general is a bad idea IMO. Takes away a lot of the dynamics from the songs they would usually use it in.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I had assumed it just wasnt going to be online since it keeps getting pulled
Thanks Timo!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Okay, chtimixeur, at least watch Wonderful life and WOY from that stream bc its magical, Myles' sounds amazing, what a beautiful voice.
Thanks Timo!

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

I'm still shocked that Mark Tremonti, a professional guitarist, with a history of fantastic clean tones, has decided to not have any actual clean tones accessible in his live rig anymore. I mean just put the amp channel footswitch on your pedal board and set the first channel up as a clean channel rather than just staying on a dirty channel and rolling back the volume. Weird choice.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

mikeyd23 wrote:I'm still shocked that Mark Tremonti, a professional guitarist, with a history of fantastic clean tones, has decided to not have any actual clean tones accessible in his live rig anymore. I mean just put the amp channel footswitch on your pedal board and set the first channel up as a clean channel rather than just staying on a dirty channel and rolling back the volume. Weird choice.
Right!? As a fellow guitarist this choice baffles me completely.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THfZLmlesKQ

Whatever autotune effects they are using, sounds pretty decent. Much better than the Amsterdam vocal effects.