The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by alterchris »

Getting critiqued for your music comes with the territory of being a rock band. Although it's not my favorite album, I really loved some of the songs. It sure as hell won't stop me from attending their concerts. It sure won't keep me from anticipating and purchasing their sixth album. This band just has too strong a hold on me...

Now, if Alter Bridge really cares about what folks think then they would ask us for our opinions. If that's the case then great! If not, and if they want to write, sing, and produce what they like... well then that's great as well. I wouldn't fault them for either, but to say the band will be depressed after reading some of the comments... I just don't think that's the case. You can't please everyone.

As talented as Myles and Mark are, they sure as hell don't need five layers of guitars and voice-overs. This band is just way too talented to need that crap on their albums.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

As with all AB albums, I condense them down into 45-50 minute playlists (like an LP). I found it fairly difficult to do here, as I did with all of them but ABIII (which I actually struggle to fill) so it passed that first test!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

This does feel much more like ABIII release day than Fortress :lol

I wanna mention Myles' solos though. He brought it. The This Side of Fate one is just glorious.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Yeah, solos were the highlight of the album for me.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Solos all round are a bit of a highlight this time round. Is the mid-point one in TLH Myles or Mark? Cause that last run in is absolutely fucking nuts! If it's Myles then I've never heard him use that style of picking before.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Mark's This Side of Fate solo........ jaw dropper.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

^Crumbso
The first solo is Myles, and I can comfortably say it is his best solo ever
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think Fortress exceeded this album in terms of production quality (and probably overall songwriting), but I think TLH exceeds in having more variety like Crumbso mentioned. When you consider this album has a song like My Champion as well as a song like Island of Fools, you're hitting both extremes of Alter Bridge there.

I know some people don't like the production, but I think it might also take some time to get used to the "newness" of how this album sounds. Every AB album has had a different sonic feel to it, and that's what I like about them. I assumed this album would be Fortress 2.0 in how it sounded, but it's sonically pretty different to my ears.

You don't have to love every song, I don't even love every song. But you've gotta allow some time for the newness of the songs to sink in, because this is an incredibly solid 5th album in my opinion.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

The only solo that i didn't notice at first that was from Myles' was the Crows On A Wire solo :bow

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Still haven't left yet.

What time does AB come on? I want to be liquored up by then

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

The whole "give it time to let it sink in" doesn't apply to everybody. The older I've gotten and the more music I've listened to, the easier I find it to separate good music from great music. Loved Fortress the first time I heard it, love it even more now. So I think a lot of us who are underwhelmed won't really feel any better just by listening to it more.

I think what people might be misconstruing as negativity is just genuine criticism. And I think that stems from knowing how talented Alter Bridge are, and seeing them release an album that isn't representative of all that talent.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Ya, like the initial reaction to Fortress was overwhelmingly positive.

Maybe this album just isn't very good relative to AB's standards, haha.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

phatnonphatness wrote:The whole "give it time to let it sink in" doesn't apply to everybody. The older I've gotten and the more music I've listened to, the easier I find it to separate good music from great music. Loved Fortress the first time I heard it, love it even more now. So I think a lot of us who are underwhelmed won't really feel any better just by listening to it more.

I think what people might be misconstruing as negativity is just genuine criticism. And I think that stems from knowing how talented Alter Bridge are, and seeing them release an album that isn't representative of all that talent.
This
Rock Never Dies

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

alright I'm off. See you guys on the other side heh heh

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

I listened to the album at least 4 times now. And I think it's kind of funny that the same thing happened to me as with Fortress. With each time I love the songs more and more. To me, it is a really, really good album. Tomorrow after listening to it 4 times more it will maybe even perfect, who knows? :)

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

I'm about to start a crowdfunding page to bail you out of jail once you get arrested for streaking
Rock Never Dies

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Guarantee if you ranked the songs today and ranked them again in 6 months, the lists wouldn't look similar. Can't guarantee you'd go from thinking the album is mediocre to loving it, but my point is that tastes change over time. If you're going to be critical, give it some time. I don't have a problem with negativity, but I do get annoyed at reading so many critical comments on the day of release.

I don't care if it's not your favorite album ever, but when you see these comments over and over again on the first day the album is out, it's a major buzzkill.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Maybe some people have been listening to it for a little longer than a day...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

AB23 wrote:alright I'm off. See you guys on the other side heh heh
like the song

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

phatnonphatness wrote:Maybe some people have been listening to it for a little longer than a day...
Doesn't change my point. The official release date is today, and half the board is being a buzzkill about it.