The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by One Drew Remains »

Not really a fan of Twilight, but I think it's one of Marks better TLH solos the more I hear it.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

did the fans like this album? I thought the forums would be busier if they liked it. To me the record had a few hits but most of the songs weren't really that standout.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Maybe people that really really love it does not want to say how much they love it or else people peg them as too much of a "fanboy"/"fangirl" that thinks this band can do no wrong.

In fact, I feel that way at times, but choose to keep my mouth shut, at times.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I think it was one of their weaker albums, but I'd go out on a limb and say that probably over 50% of active members here heard the album 3 weeks prior to it's release when it leaked. Even if they don't care to admit it. That took a lot of the action and suspense away from the actual release date.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:^^ Maybe people that really really love it does not want to say how much they love it or else people peg them as too much of a "fanboy"/"fangirl" that thinks this band can do no wrong.

In fact, I feel that way at times, but choose to keep my mouth shut, at times.
Who're the problem then? People who are voicing their opinions, or the ones that don't?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I'm just gonna say it. Twilight and Losing Patience aren't very good.

Also, You will Be Remembered, even with the good intentions behind it, is way too cheezy and sappy.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I'll agree with that. They probably should have been cut. That said, it's AB, so I still enjoy them. Just on a Breathe Again/WDCAA level.

I think I enjoy it a smidge more than AB III, and possibly ODR. Time will tell. Some really good songs that are sort of derailed by over production.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Honestly, after almost two months of hearing tracks, I still really really like Twilight. People felt that Fallout should have been taken off of ABIII, but I still really like that track as well.

Those songs are just well constructed AB songs that I personally feel that people really overlooked these days. They may not be complex or progressive, but you cannot "deny" that they are not proper AB songs.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Twilight is weird... I can see why people might not like it, and it does kind of feel like a filler track, but I just really like something about it. I think it's like Show Me A Sign where it lyrically sums up the theme of the album really well, even though it may not be the best song or the title track.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Twilight is probably the only song off TLH that's catchy enough for me to find myself humming it randomly during the day.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Twilight is probably at the bottom of my list if I was to rank tracks from TLH. It's a solid track, just not my favorite personally.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

I'm actually becoming a big Twilight fan. That's the beauty of listening to these albums. I can like a song off the bat and enjoy myself, but some songs take longer to grow on me. AB's music has always been like that for me and it makes the experience deeper and I can listen to these albums over and over again without getting sick of them.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

^^Truth. That's The Writing On the Wall for me. It was one of my least favorites when I first listen and now I love it.

Flet
Brand New Start

Post by Flet »

Twilight it great. I don't have a problem with a single song....only have a problem with the incredibly crappy production. It's the best album they have that sounds like total utter crap. Hopefully they remix and remaster it like RUSH did with Vapor Trails (But I'd rather not wait 13 years).

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I must say, after not having heard any song off the album for a while, my brain has filtered out most of the noise from my memory and a lot of songs I kinda like more than when I did listen to them, if that makes any sense. But I don't want to play any as I'll get annoyed over the wall of sound again.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Just a random thought: Symphony of Agony is one of my favorite songs off that album. It has that metal-ish riffing i kinda miss on many songs on the album. That shredding riff during the bridge is just purely amazing. Furthermore I somehow got the impression that Mark and Myles forgot how to play power chords on many parts of the album. Instead they chose to mash together several layers of guitar and keyboard harmonics. Well, the last sentence is a little over exaggerated.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Mr. Slash wrote:Just a random thought: Symphony of Agony is one of my favorite songs off that album. It has that metal-ish riffing i kinda miss on many songs on the album. That shredding riff during the bridge is just purely amazing. Furthermore I somehow got the impression that Mark and Myles forgot how to play power chords on many parts of the album. Instead they chose to mash together several layers of guitar and keyboard harmonics. Well, the last sentence is a little over exaggerated.
Mine, too. I liked it pretty well from the start and it has grown since then.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Would love to know what it would sound like with Mark singing the chorus.
For all of the hope that it brings...

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The Other Side has grown on me immensely.
This is one of the heaviest tunes I've ever heard, and I hope this is a sign of things to come.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

One thing I've noticed a lot on this record is that they have adopted that CTF main riff quite a bit on TLH. Not sure what those notes are called as I'm not advanced enough in my playing to really use them. But the riffs to SMaL and Poison (and maybe another that is slipping my mind) are similar to it.

Maybe this is a new technique they are employing in their music. Thoughts?
Altered: