The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by gbruin »

Maybe the techies here can help...how much difference is there between what the band and producer hears during playback in a studio and what we hear on a CD through a car stereo or computer or headphones. Because the CDs we buy aren't "pressed" (ahh, records...) until all the postproduction is done, is the band ever hearing the same product we are buying? I'd imagine that these things are considered by the pros who make music, but there have to be some limitations that occur between the music being played live in the studio and the music on my iPod through $20 ear buds.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Not a techie, but here's my input: Usually producers have different kind of speakers to mix on. Also shitty ones (or simulated shitty ones). Once a producer gets really comfortable with his gear and himself he might get a bit lazy when it comes to that, but I think it's still an important phase of the process. If your music only sounds good on super expensive gear, it's not a good mix.

When it comes to the band, I have no idea what the conditions are when they listen to the album. They hear the mixed version first, which gets rid of a lot of compression. so I can imagine that doesn't give them a 100% realistic idea of the outcome. After the mastering phase, I don't know. You often hear stories that artists listen to the finished product in their car first.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

gbruin wrote:Maybe the techies here can help...how much difference is there between what the band and producer hears during playback in a studio and what we hear on a CD through a car stereo or computer or headphones. Because the CDs we buy aren't "pressed" (ahh, records...) until all the postproduction is done, is the band ever hearing the same product we are buying? I'd imagine that these things are considered by the pros who make music, but there have to be some limitations that occur between the music being played live in the studio and the music on my iPod through $20 ear buds.
There's a lot that could go into that answer... Basically the short answer is that the band listens to mixes until everyone who has a say is satisfied. Some bands only listen to mixes in the studio, others will listen to mixes at home, or else where. I think Slash talked about listening to mixes of World on Fire in his car, because that's where he listens to a lot of music so it's where he felt most comfortable. Mixes will always sound different in a professional studio in comparison to listening to an mp3 through $20 ear buds. But that difference typically isn't "it sounds great in the studio and crappy in my headphones". Usually the difference is not being able to hear all the nuances of the sound. Kinda unavoidable.

Once mixing is finalized, the record is mastered. Now in theory this shouldn't effect the actual sound of the album a terrible amount. In theory the mastering process essentially adds a final EQ to the final mix, stabilizes the volume of each track (so they are all the same volume), sequences the running order of songs, and BOOM you have a record. What happens with a lot of modern mastering processes is the whole loudness war thing - the idea of trying to make the record as loud as possible. This is done by compressing the audio of a song, limiting the dynamics, so there is more room to increase the total volume of the track without distorting or clipping the audio. This is where a mix can start to sound different. Basically, it gets rid of all the empty space and breathing room on a track, sometimes making individual tracks hard to discern or pick out. I think this probably happened on this record, but in comparison to other rock/metal records out there its not terrible (Death Magnetic by Metallica is the most famous album with this issue probably).

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Appreciate the input, guys!

Yeah, and like the story above about Brian and the bass parts on ODR, I guess the band might be surprised how the final product actually sounds. I remember Sebastian Bach (who is more than a little bit nuts in the first place) being really upset at how his collaboration with Henning Pauly in Frameshift sounded when the disc was released. Nevermore had an entire album, Enemies Of Reality, remixed just a year after it was released because the initial production was so bad.

I guess we can't assume that the band is 100% on board with what we end up hearing when we buy the CD. It's a complicated process, for sure. And for me, I'm kind of nitpicking. As much as there are parts in the production I don't love, this is still an outstanding album.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think something else to remember is that there's more to being a producer than just mixing the album (even though that's a huge part of the job). But I'd imagine the chemistry the band has with Elvis plays a huge factor into why they're satisfied with his work even when some albums are mixed worse than others to our ears. 3/4 of this band is a group of guys who came to hate the music industry in the early 2000s. So if they've found a producer that allows them to have fun and be happy in the studio, that's going to play a huge role in their decision to keep that relationship.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

The Last Hero debuted at number 8. Their most successful since their first record. pretty good. Hopefully this lasts and maybe even improves

http://loudwire.com/green-day-revolutio ... ge-top-10/

Cariocawlad
Bought The CDs

Post by Cariocawlad »

Since the digital copies doesn't come with the booklet, could someone post some photos of it?

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

(post deleted)
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Still playing My Champion on Monday Night Football :). Now if only the Jets didn't suck....

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Cariocawlad wrote:Since the digital copies doesn't come with the booklet, could someone post some photos of it?
Alright, I had some time. Here you go:

Outside flaps:

Inside flaps:

Booklet front cover, lyrics pages, dedication page, and back cover:

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Every time I hear The Last Hero chorus, I hear a distinct "ta" sound. "Who'll save us TIN the end"

But no one else hears it. And it drives me mad. But oh well. Still the best song on the album by far imo.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

AB23 wrote:Every time I hear The Last Hero chorus, I hear a distinct "ta" sound. "Who'll save us TIN the end"

But no one else hears it. And it drives me mad. But oh well. Still the best song on the album by far imo.
I hear what you're hearing, but it's part of the percussion. I'm sure you know that, but I don't ever get the thought that it sounds like "tin" to me.

Love the song, you're right.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

okay screw all of you in Facebook chat that called me cray cray CUZ IM NOT CRAY CRAY

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB23 wrote:okay screw all of you in Facebook chat that called me cray cray CUZ IM NOT CRAY CRAY
How many FB chats are you a part of?

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

2 with TABN, including the one you're in which is the one I'm talking aboot

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB23 wrote:2 with TABN, including the one you're in which is the one I'm talking aboot
I dont remember anyone calling you crazy in there. And no one has said anything in it in a long time either.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
AB23 wrote:2 with TABN, including the one you're in which is the one I'm talking aboot
I dont remember anyone calling you crazy in there. And no one has said anything in it in a long time either.
WAY TO KEEP THE THREAD ALIVE, FUCKBOYS.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

WTF does "marginal reviews" mean on TLH's page on Wikipedia? Its generally got positive reviews. That needs updating!

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

antiwal wrote:WTF does "marginal reviews" mean on TLH's page on Wikipedia? Its generally got positive reviews. That needs updating!
They probably read this forum. ;)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
WAY TO KEEP THE THREAD ALIVE, FUCKBOYS.
:lol :lol :lol

Friends. I love this place.