The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
claudiocc
Bought The CDs

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by claudiocc »

The Trump/Clinton thing is obvious
No it is not, as the two interviews of Mark and Myles stated. Especially Mark. It is to try to find someone generally to believe to. In fact they all say that it may be a dangerous ground to walk into because people assume things...It is legitimate that one may believe lyrics means something or anything else, but we should always keep our option open

nildiven
Bought The CDs

Post by nildiven »

claudiocc wrote:
No it is not, as the two interviews of Mark and Myles stated. Especially Mark. It is to try to find someone generally to believe to. In fact they all say that it may be a dangerous ground to walk into because people assume things...It is legitimate that one may believe lyrics means something or anything else, but we should always keep our option open

I don't think any of the songs are pro either candidate necessarily. But considering they have a few songs about climate change now, I'd think it be especially strange to support someone who thinks its a hoax.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

axlar wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:I always imagine the Westboro Baptist Church weirdos when I hear The Other Side. They are quite rampant here in the Midwest.
you (majority of Americans) are way too caught up in religion.. seeing a religious things in everything and anything.
I wonder what nationality the songwriters are

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

claudiocc wrote:

I actually really appreciate you posting this. Can I say without any political affiliation, that I'd rather they hate both than lean one way or the other. And I think that's what they did this record. And I love that Mark said, basically, if you're looking for a hero in the political realm, it's better you self-reflect than let us know why or how you could do that.

And he's nailed it on the head in countless interviews by now. The political arena right now, at least in the states, has become an absolute joke. There's no longer any middle ground which means people are feeling what word have we heard this tour cycle more than any other?!?!? Disillusioned!!! This album simply solidifies AB as my fav band.

claudiocc
Bought The CDs

Post by claudiocc »

:yeahthat

That is exactly the point.
Politics are become widely , worldwide a joke. The causes are many..... no need to open a debate, but yes, that was the idea of the song and of the album. Not taken any side, just what common sense would be.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Great interviews by the way, thanks for sharing!

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

AB23 wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:Not to get politics mixed into my rock, but I have heard an interview or two where Myles leans somewhat the other direction.

I know in one he said he was excited about Obama when he first got elected. And I remember reading something saying he didn't trust Trump. It was a recent one. So although they try and stay neutral (Im a conservative myself, but I love AB, so screw it) I think Myles leans more liberal.
Just basing it on his previous lyrics, Myles seems to lean way liberal.
Yes he is liberal. The song Bleed it Dry is about Global Warming. So is the Writing on the Wall. He is also a outspoken activist about the ivory trade. Most of this stuff if you really delve into it is a dig at the whole political situation in America, but yeah one of the main points of art is to satire the government and abuse of power, corruption, etc. Throughout the history of art, this is is very apparent. Being a musician (and fairly liberal) myself, it resonates with me. However the great thing about Alter Bridge is that they attract a very diverse fan base and their music and lyrics can speak to really anyone and about every situation.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Apparently TLH is much more appreciated in the rock world outside this forums and threads of us AB-fans. The album got elected as second best of 2016 by the staff of Aardschok-magazine. Same pattern in the yearlists of other rock-magazines ? I myself also must admit that this album fortunately is growing and growing on me !

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Second best by readers of Guitar World as well.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

tzAB
Brand New Start

Post by tzAB »

I don't get why TLH isn't getting much love on here yeah it's heavier and sometimes all over the place, but it has some killer songs like Crows, This Side of Fate, The Other Side, Island of Fools and the title track is amazing especially live. I think if people see them all live they would appreciate them more.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It's quite peaky. Highs are amazing and the lows are fairly forgettable. I suppose after Fortress raised the bar (for many anyway), it was a bit of a let down. Still my second favourite though.
For all of the hope that it brings...

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I enjoy it a lot. Especially after hearing Island and Writing live. Freaking immense!
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

tzAB wrote:I don't get why TLH isn't getting much love on here yeah it's heavier and sometimes all over the place, but it has some killer songs like Crows, This Side of Fate, The Other Side, Island of Fools and the title track is amazing especially live. I think if people see them all live they would appreciate them more.
Great songs overall, but it sounds like poo poo.

Plus, no fantastic ballads. As much as I like My Champion and You Will Be Remembered a bit more than the rest of the people on here, it doesn't hold a candle to their other ones.

No real "radio friendly" singles compared to the likes of every album either.

I do love it. I think if it sounded more like AB III (mix-wise) or even the same as Fortress, it would have been just fine. Blackbird is my favorite mix so far, but I don't think it would've sounded right with these songs. Just like Before Tomorrow Comes wouldn't sound good with a Fortress mix.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

If this album sounded like Fortress sonically in the recordings, I think it would get a lot better reception. The songwriting is pretty good throughout it (I skip a few songs on the album now, but not really any more than most albums), but the production quality is easily the worst of the five AB albums.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

tzAB
Brand New Start

Post by tzAB »

After blasting the album in my car I have noticed the bad mix. Like I stated before I think people are warming up more to the songs as they hear them live.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

tzAB wrote:Like I stated before I think people are warming up more to the songs as they hear them live.
This. The album has grown on me tons since seeing them twice live this touring cycle, as well as getting used to the mix. Would definitely move it up to at least 4 in my AB album rankings
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Drumkidstu
Brand New Start

Post by Drumkidstu »

Often an Artist is a reflection of the world around them. If you look at art throughout the ages, one of the best ways to gauge the culture of the time is to look at the art. What are they portraying. The world we currently live in is a hectic, crazy, and unstable place. Alter Bridge (being true artists as well as musicians) are reflecting the world in their music, hence the hectic sound and unbalanced mixing and feeling of the record. It doesn't honestly bother me that much. It's supposed to be exhausting to listen too. It is supposed to be loud. The imperfections are the perfections. It is the perfect musical interpretation of the world at the moment. Whether they did this intentionally or unintentionally is beyond me, but they did it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Drumkidstu wrote:It's supposed to be exhausting to listen too.
No, it's not. It's that awful direction these guys are heading to together with Elvis since Fortress and Tremonti 2. I don't need 12 layers of guitars and 4 channels of Myles' squeaky voice at once.

After several months of listening to this album everyday on my way to university, I gotta say that this album has too many "stinkers" imo. I mean, this isn't surprising me, with the first listen i gave to TLH, it stood out for me that the guys tried to arouse a bigger audience. Still I hoped that these songs would grow on me. Sadly I am skipping through many songs. This album misses that "synapse-exploding" element AB gave me on every album so far. Songs like Metalingus, Burn it Down, Brand New Start, Blackbird, Slip To The Void, Isolation, CoA or Bleed it Dry, just to name a few made me go bonkers.
After many listens of TLH I still cannot find pleasure in Myles' new style of singing. Therefore (well, not ONLY therefore) my favorite song of TLH is the bonus track "Last Of Our Kind". That song reminds me much more of the AB I fell in love with.

My post sounds so negative, yet i quite enjoy the album. :facepalm :D

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The only songs I regularly skip now are You Will Be Remembered and Twilight. Like most of their albums, this one works better as a 10-11 song record. I'm not saying they have to leave songs unreleased, but I would've made 2-3 of the album songs b-sides.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Drumkidstu wrote:Often an Artist is a reflection of the world around them. If you look at art throughout the ages, one of the best ways to gauge the culture of the time is to look at the art. What are they portraying. The world we currently live in is a hectic, crazy, and unstable place. Alter Bridge (being true artists as well as musicians) are reflecting the world in their music, hence the hectic sound and unbalanced mixing and feeling of the record. It doesn't honestly bother me that much. It's supposed to be exhausting to listen too. It is supposed to be loud. The imperfections are the perfections. It is the perfect musical interpretation of the world at the moment. Whether they did this intentionally or unintentionally is beyond me, but they did it.
I appreciate the idea of that and I agree that art is/should be a reflection of its time/culture, but it's perfectly possible to have a hectic, crazy and unstable sound without having the music sound sonically bad/exhausting. I really don't think it was intentional, and if it was unintentional I think they could've done a much better job at it (also in the songwriting department.)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.