The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Well at least you're not the only one who's torn! Problem is pretty much everyone is :lol

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Trmills823 wrote: Myles is pretty strong throughout, and I feel like Mark has branched out in his soloing chops (he was starting to become too predictable IMO).
I'd say that soloing is what really suffers on this record. Not really sure which one is done by whom, but numerous solos are quite predictable, Cradle to the Grave being a really good exception though, probably my favourite one on the record.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Trmills823 wrote: Remember when they first came out and introduced themselves with that insanely singable riff from Find the Real??!! That's what I'm talking about.
Yeah. Sometimes less is more I guess. Find the Real used to be my favorite AB song for YEARS.

The Plotblocker wrote:
AHart96 wrote:I wish they would've taken the Words/Waters approach and let Mark sing lead on The Last Hero. Would've elevated the song IMO, especially the chorus
Tbh, while I love both those songs, I would sooner Mark kept his lead vocals to his solo project. Myles' is voice is a huge part of why I love AB and IMO he is the vocalist in Alter Bridge and should handle all lead.
But but what if it was just for 1 song and the rest of album be all Myles? I think it would freshen things up a bit.

Trmills823
Brand New Start

Post by Trmills823 »

Dolo wrote:
Trmills823 wrote: Myles is pretty strong throughout, and I feel like Mark has branched out in his soloing chops (he was starting to become too predictable IMO).
I'd say that soloing is what really suffers on this record. Not really sure which one is done by whom, but numerous solos are quite predictable, Cradle to the Grave being a really good exception though, probably my favourite one on the record.
I guess I'm thinking of Mark's pat tricks he put in almost every solo on Fortress. Three note arpeggios leading into a pentatonic blues shred line. Seriously, I listened to Fortress a ton in anticipation of TLH and was starting to get sick of hearing the same approach in every song. I don't hear as much of that sort of thing on this album. Sure, he has his similar lines in each song, but at least they are new haha.

I don't mean to insult his playing. Every guitarist can slip into a rut.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Wow, that's awesome! Really looking forward to his new release with Neal Morse.

The Writing on the Wall is growing on me. I'd love to see a live version of that song, because I think that song will benefit a lot from getting rid of all the unnecessary layers.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Flet
Brand New Start

Post by Flet »

The Plotblocker wrote:
Sugar Blade wrote:Am I the only one who think that Twilight was meant to be with Mark as a lead singer?
Nope. From the moment that song started I though "Tremonti" and the way Myles sings it tells me Mark wrote and recorded the vocals for it and then Myles just imitated the pattern. My least fave song on the album tbh.
Yup, once that song started I was dumbfounded when it was Myles singing. It was totally a Mark song.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

Honestly, I don't get it why so much people on this forum keep on talkin negative about this album. I know that everyone has his own opinion. Maybe there are some of you who don't like the heaviness, I don't know. To me, this is at least as good as Fortress, I love this album very much.

Writing is great! Love that chorus :)

To me, Island of Fools is easily one of their top 5 songs ever! I do not get tired listening to this record over and over again, without a break. I don't really mind the production, but I am not a musician, so what do I know? xD

Keep on rocking AB, you're on the right track! :rockon :rockon :rockon

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Twilight kinda reminds me of Sick Puppies White Balloons. The main melody of Twilight is very similar to "The changes in my are likely to be like the weather" in WB.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

In my car with Poison In Your Veins blasting (because I think this is a great damn song) and I can't even find the guitar progression or chord strum pattern in the verse.... So much damn noise in the way it totally drowns out Mark's guitar...

Album is great. It's not ODR/BB/ABIII... But that's okay. We have those albums and now we have this new album to enjoy and love for the rest of our lives. I hope they release 10 more albums. I just want Myles to go away from the Slash high tone and come back down to the emotional tone he had early in his AB days and his M4 prime.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

pokefan_4 wrote:I just want Myles to go away from the Slash high tone and come back down to the emotional tone he had early in his AB days and his M4 prime.
Everyone keeps saying they want him to do this (myself included in the past) But realistically speaking what if he can't? Dudes getting old and his voice is thinning so maybe he can't get that tone anymore?

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
pokefan_4 wrote:I just want Myles to go away from the Slash high tone and come back down to the emotional tone he had early in his AB days and his M4 prime.
Everyone keeps saying they want him to do this (myself included in the past) But realistically speaking what if he can't? Dudes getting old and his voice is thinning so maybe he can't get that tone anymore?
I have a hard time believing that when I hear him sing acoustic sets. His tone is way down and fantastic. I know that setting doesn't require him to emote as much.. so that may be it. Maybe he just can't emote the tone live anymore. His entire ton on The Other Side is where he needs to be.. it was perfect.

Crows on a wire chorus tone.... makes me cringe.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
Lotha wrote:^ Agreed, I never was a fan of Mark's vocals and all the songs he sings on are on my "least favorite" list.
We disagree on something!! :eek :lol

Waters Rising is one of my favorite tracks on Fortress :lol
It was bound to happen :lol WDTTW > Waters Rising. I just never could get into that song. :D
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

So the band said TLH would have moments of all their albums combined - to which I agree. For a bit fun (probably boredom - but lets go with fun), I've put what albums I think each track would be suited to. Mainly due to the music, not lyrics specifically...

Show Me a Leader - Fortress
The Writing on the Wall - Fortress
The Other Side - ABIII
My Champion - ODR
Poison In Your Veins - Fortress
Cradle to the Grave - ABIII
Losing Patience - ABIII
This Side Of Fate - Fortress
You Will Be Remembered - ODR
Crows on a Wire - Blackbird
Twilight - ABIII
Island Of Fools - Blackbird
The Last Hero - Fortress
Symphony of Agony - ABIII
Breathe - Well....Durrrrr!

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Also look at his vocal on Black and White with Richards/Crane. That is great.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Strange, I thought it would be opposite. It seems as though people's voices deepen the older that they get.

I don't just mean in a puberty kind of way, I mean being able to hit more gravely tones. Possibly not though. Never thought of a voice "thinning" so to speak. Myles isn't exactly old, but I dunno too much!

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Alright, a new guys overall thoughts on The Last Hero (not that anyone should care too much).

I really like this album. For me, this is a continuation in a certain direction after Fortress that I hoped they would go. Fortress hinted at some of the prog-metal stuff they dove into a little more with TLH which IMO is great.

Is it ODR? No way.

Is it BB? Nope.

But it does seem like a logic jump based on the direction the band has been taking since ABIII.

The song writing is pretty strong I think, definitely has some peaks and valleys. The performances are top notch by each guy throughout. I think the production certainly could be better, and I think they could have chopped 1 or 2 songs off the album and it would have been a stronger altogether effort (I could same the same about the previous two releases from AB as well).

sPAZAttack91
Brand New Start

Post by sPAZAttack91 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Strange, I thought it would be opposite. It seems as though people's voices deepen the older that they get.

I don't just mean in a puberty kind of way, I mean being able to hit more gravely tones. Possibly not though. Never thought of a voice "thinning" so to speak. Myles isn't exactly old, but I dunno too much!
From what I understand voices actually become higher with age. This might explain Myles using his higher range more regularly to sing most melodies . I don't think he's really lost any range since blackbird, although his tone is more nasal and a bit thinner in parts of this record . Still a very strong vocalist imo!

My problem - bar the COAW chorus, is that the vocal melodies are a bit uninspiring on this album. I also miss the lows and how he could back up those high notes with a bit of power/grit in the mf4 and ODR days. But then again we'll always have those records!

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

mikeyd23 wrote:Alright, a new guys overall thoughts on The Last Hero (not that anyone should care too much).

I really like this album. For me, this is a continuation in a certain direction after Fortress that I hoped they would go. Fortress hinted at some of the prog-metal stuff they dove into a little more with TLH which IMO is great.

Is it ODR? No way.

Is it BB? Nope.

But it does seem like a logic jump based on the direction the band has been taking since ABIII.

The song writing is pretty strong I think, definitely has some peaks and valleys. The performances are top notch by each guy throughout. I think the production certainly could be better, and I think they could have chopped 1 or 2 songs off the album and it would have been a stronger altogether effort (I could same the same about the previous two releases from AB as well).
I think you hit it on the head. This is the logical next step after ABIII and Fortress. Heavy? Check. Structurally experimenting? Check. Unrivaled musician-ship? Super check. I absolutely love it btw. Couldn't figure out how to listen to the title track as loud to my liking as I'd like so I put my cd in my home theater. That was fairly loud. :peace And just out of curiosity, because you're not the first to say, but which songs which you cut?

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I'm genuinely overjoyed that we have so many new fans talking about this album here! So great to hear what y'all think guys