The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Flet
Brand New Start

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by Flet »

The Plotblocker wrote:
Harry© wrote:I think they need a new producer personally.
I've thought this for a while. The guitars have only gotten less articulate over time as they cram more stuff into the spectrum.
I tried making a tone like Bleed it dry in my Axe Fx and it required a stupid amount of push around the 4-5k area. The area that sounds really harsh and nasty.
Some of the pre release songs actually got me a little frustrated because it seemed like the guitar was taking a back seat and I could barely hear the riffs.
Agreed. Either "Elvis" needs to let go of his wall of sound obsession or the guys need to look for a new producer. This is by far their worst sound mix to date and as yo say, it kills the guitars a lot, and also Marks backing vocals are far to buried.
leadguitar_85 wrote:One listen through - this really saddens me. There is some really beautiful songwriting here...but it's buried beneath this fuzzy, muddy mountain of noise. Why? Why did anyone think it was a good idea to make it sound like this? There are some tracks that had the potential to be really, really great...but there is no nuance. There is no dynamic variance. There is no room for virtuosity - only noise. What an ugly coat for what could have been such a beautiful body of work.

Sad.
Agreed with all of you. You all hit the nail on the head. The guitars just don't seem to exist, I have to concentrate real hard to hear riffs, it's all to mashed together. Which is terrible considering the guitar talent in the band. At first I thought the CD might have been faulty, that's how bad it is.
Such a shame, considering that the songs themselves are fantastic. And yeah, Elvis needs to go. I know he may be part of the family but his ears are not hearing what we all hear.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

:lol WTF. A TV spot?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Wow, that's awesome. Are they actually playing that? Kudos to Napalm Records!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

That's pretty neat.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Something about the narrator reminded me of those old ads on publicly funded TV for stuff like, "All the greatest power ballads of the 80's! With hits such as 'Every Rose Has It's Thorn', and 'Lick my Love Pump!" with the scrolling list of song titles and all that.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

AB ON TV?!?!?! FINALLY!!!! Gotta give Naplam their props on this, they have really done our boys justice with the promotion. Even seen the SMAL video on Scuzz a few times :D
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

Am I the only one who think that Twilight was meant to be with Mark as a lead singer?

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

I wish they would've taken the Words/Waters approach and let Mark sing lead on The Last Hero. Would've elevated the song IMO, especially the chorus
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Sugar Blade wrote:Am I the only one who think that Twilight was meant to be with Mark as a lead singer?
Nope. From the moment that song started I though "Tremonti" and the way Myles sings it tells me Mark wrote and recorded the vocals for it and then Myles just imitated the pattern. My least fave song on the album tbh.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

AHart96 wrote:I wish they would've taken the Words/Waters approach and let Mark sing lead on The Last Hero. Would've elevated the song IMO, especially the chorus
Tbh, while I love both those songs, I would sooner Mark kept his lead vocals to his solo project. Myles' is voice is a huge part of why I love AB and IMO he is the vocalist in Alter Bridge and should handle all lead.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

^ Agreed, I never was a fan of Mark's vocals and all the songs he sings on are on my "least favorite" list.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Lotha wrote:^ Agreed, I never was a fan of Mark's vocals and all the songs he sings on are on my "least favorite" list.
We disagree on something!! :eek :lol

Waters Rising is one of my favorite tracks on Fortress :lol

AnybodyListening.net
Brand New Start

Post by AnybodyListening.net »

How is Last of Our Kind/Symphony of Agony not on the album proper? What a great tune. Reminds me a bit of AB III a bit. Still Remains comes to mind with one of the guitar riffs.

Anyway, album coming into focus for me a bit more. Finding Show Me a Leader, Island of Fools, The Last Hero and Last of Our Kind rising to the top...

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

I've never fancied myself having a "good ear." So that might be why I don't have a problem with the "muddled" sound of the album. I feel like it's just that heavy. And I honestly still love it. More than I did when I posted yesterday morning. The title track is exhausting but in a great way. That song is so dynamic and energetic. I love, love, love the bridge. Island of Fools collective solos are probably my favorite on the album. I agree that Twilight sounds like a track straight out of ABIII or Fortress. And it's one of the lighter songs. Love the vocals on that one. And contrary to many here, I love the Crows on a Wire chorus. I could go on for every song on the album. But I won't.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Lotha wrote:^ Agreed, I never was a fan of Mark's vocals and all the songs he sings on are on my "least favorite" list.
I do like Mark's vocals, on his solo stuff. H ehas really stepped up his game over the years. But it just does sound or feel right with him leading AB vocals to me. Words Darker was a nice little thing, but Waters Rising was too far, even though it is a good song. I am glad they kept it all Myles again on this album.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Peace Is Broken is worth a mention for me too, I know that song isn't exactly a fan favourite (full disclosure - I love it) but Mark coming in during the bridge is just a nice warm mug of awesome.
For all of the hope that it brings...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I wasn't really sure where else this would go, but I always love finding out how Mark and Myles' solos are actually played after I hear them. I can never understand how they play the solos (inb4 "with their hands") until I see it live or as a cover by a YouTuber. Seeing two covers of Myles' solo from This Side of Fate and I never would have guessed that's how it's played :lol That's what I get for being musically challenged :lol

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote:Peace Is Broken is worth a mention for me too, I know that song isn't exactly a fan favourite (full disclosure - I love it) but Mark coming in during the bridge is just a nice warm mug of awesome.
I liked what they did in Peace Is Broken too. I haven't listened to TLH too many times with headphones (usually in the car), but the only time I really hear Mark pretty well is from his backing vocals in My Champion. I'm sure he has more audible vocal sections, but I've been listening to this album pretty casually so far.

Wouldn't mind if they had a bridge or two similar to Peace Is Broken where Mark's voice was higher in the mix. It doesn't have to be lead for an entire song or even entire verses...but a few occasions of hearing Mark's voice more prominently would have been fine by me. I'd say Elvis (and probably Mark) want to make sure AB and Tremonti sound distinct enough from one another.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

cajmoyper wrote:I've never fancied myself having a "good ear." So that might be why I don't have a problem with the "muddled" sound of the album. I feel like it's just that heavy. And I honestly still love it. More than I did when I posted yesterday morning. The title track is exhausting but in a great way. That song is so dynamic and energetic. I love, love, love the bridge. Island of Fools collective solos are probably my favorite on the album. I agree that Twilight sounds like a track straight out of ABIII or Fortress. And it's one of the lighter songs. Love the vocals on that one. And contrary to many here, I love the Crows on a Wire chorus. I could go on for every song on the album. But I won't.
Please do. It would really help balance out the rest of us that just talk shit about the album haha.

Trmills823
Brand New Start

Post by Trmills823 »

Good evening (at least where I am) everyone. I'm new to the forum, but an AB fan since day one of ODR... I was wandering the web for some tabs and came across this site (somehow...). Thought I'd jump in the discussion about TLH.

A little back story... BB and Fortress are my two favorite albums to date. While I love the writing in ODR and the concept of ABIII, there's something about those other two that are quintessential Alter Bridge for me.

So as I've given TLH a few listens now (albeit in traffic), I can say I am torn about it. As many others have said already, there are some incredible moments. But there are also some rather mediocre ones as well. Myles is pretty strong throughout, and I feel like Mark has branched out in his soloing chops (he was starting to become too predictable IMO). Also, the Flip and Brian are rock solid.

And yet some songs have some really odd melodies (looking at you, Crows and Writing), and the sheer amount of fast riffs is overwhelming and almost monotonous at times. Im beginning to miss the melodic nature of their guitar riffs. Remember when they first came out and introduced themselves with that insanely singable riff from Find the Real??!! That's what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I won't break down each track or anything. But I'll just say the great on this album is amazing. But the rest is just, well, average. I'm just so torn! :headscratch