The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
sPAZAttack91
Brand New Start

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by sPAZAttack91 »

chtimixeur wrote:Brian hated the ODR sessions because he didn't get along well with Ben Grosse. There is a 0% chance of them working together again.
At least Ben made the bass guitar audible :P

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

Hey Everyone! I don't really post on here much anymore (despite my 6000+ posts on the old site), but I thought I'd give my opinions on the album.

Overall, I enjoyed it after a couple listens. Every musician was on the top of their game and it shows. Particularly Mark - I've never heard him play so well in his entire discography. There are definitely standout tracks and ones that I skip, but that's similar to ABIII and Fortress.
I say these things but I have to confess - It's probably my least favorite. Everything about the album is good, but the mixing and production is such a hot mess that it muddles out most of the good parts. These guys are so talented; they don't need 800 layers to make their music sound good. Sometimes it's OK for the songs to just breath a little instead of adding that extra vocal echo. This was bad in ABIII, a little better in Fortress, and just horrible in The Last Hero. I know the band is BFFs with Elvis Baskette, but I think it's time to switch gears with producers. The overproduction makes the songs bland and uninteresting, and ruins a lot of the dynamics.

One other thing I would have liked to hear is more of Mark's vocals in the harmonies. I feel like when Myles had harmonies, it was layers of himself. Mark had a few, but they were so far back in the mix that you couldn't tell. I think their voices blend so well together that it's a shame you can't hear it showcased as much.

Favorite track: This Side of Fate.

Other Standouts: My Champion, Cradle to the Grave, The Last Hero
Last edited by BennyWhatever on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:yeahthat

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

Full disclosure: I haven't loved any album I've ever ended up loving right out the gate. It usually takes a couple of weeks to warm up to it. That's happened with each AB album so far and each album takes up spots 1-4 on my all-time top 4 albums list. That being said...this one is taking a lot less time. This album is so sick and heavy, it's ridiculous. I love where they're going with This Side of Fate and The Last Hero (song). Structurally, they're unlike any arrangement Alter Bridge have done in the past.

Seriously, I can't get enough of those two songs. There's not a weak song on the album but those two stand out above the others. The Other Side's breakdown is one of the most eerily, hauntingly, (and I hate to use this word because it's lost it's luster from over-use) epic things I've ever heard. Island of Fools intro that leads into a riff that sounds nothing like the intro but then leads into a verse that incorporates that melodic intro back in is just awesome. Crows On A Wire and Twilight are riffy as all eff. Let me just say that every time I'm not listening to this album is time I wish I was listening to this album.

I just want to talk about it but nobody will with me.

Let me also say, the initial draw of AB to me was Tremonster's guitar magic. It then morphed into Myles' incredible vocals being another huge part for me. Then it turned into those two dudes playing off each other guitar-wise i.e. Blackbird, Farther Than The Sun, Fortress solo duels. I've always appreciated the rhythm dudes as I myself am a drummer. I've modeled my playing after Flip. But to me, he never really had "Wow!!!" moments. But I can finally and honestly say out of all the dudes on this album I don't think anybody brought "it" more than Flip. I love, love, love every second of Flip's drumming on this album and really think he deserves a ton of credit for making these songs so special.

I'm not comfortable posting a rating of the album just yet. I need a few more listens. This isn't something you can hear once and judge. Not everything is surface deep, there's too much subtlety you can miss. So I'll wait a few more days, get a ton more listens in (it's literally all I'm going to listen to for the next few weeks), and judge after that. But so far, so good!!!

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

cajmoyper wrote:Full disclosure: I haven't loved any album I've ever ended up loving right out the gate. It usually takes a couple of weeks to warm up to it. That's happened with each AB album so far and each album takes up spots 1-4 on my all-time top 4 albums list. That being said...this one is taking a lot less time. This album is so sick and heavy, it's ridiculous. I love where they're going with This Side of Fate and The Last Hero (song). Structurally, they're unlike any arrangement Alter Bridge have done in the past.

Seriously, I can't get enough of those two songs. There's not a weak song on the album but those two stand out above the others. The Other Side's breakdown is one of the most eerily, hauntingly, (and I hate to use this word because it's lost it's luster from over-use) epic things I've ever heard. Island of Fools intro that leads into a riff that sounds nothing like the intro but then leads into a verse that incorporates that melodic intro back in is just awesome. Crows On A Wire and Twilight are riffy as all eff. Let me just say that every time I'm not listening to this album is time I wish I was listening to this album.

I just want to talk about it but nobody will with me.

Let me also say, the initial draw of AB to me was Tremonster's guitar magic. It then morphed into Myles' incredible vocals being another huge part for me. Then it turned into those two dudes playing off each other guitar-wise i.e. Blackbird, Farther Than The Sun, Fortress solo duels. I've always appreciated the rhythm dudes as I myself am a drummer. I've modeled my playing after Flip. But to me, he never really had "Wow!!!" moments. But I can finally and honestly say out of all the dudes on this album I don't think anybody brought "it" more than Flip. I love, love, love every second of Flip's drumming on this album and really think he deserves a ton of credit for making these songs so special.

I'm not comfortable posting a rating of the album just yet. I need a few more listens. This isn't something you can hear once and judge. Not everything is surface deep, there's too much subtlety you can miss. So I'll wait a few more days, get a ton more listens in (it's literally all I'm going to listen to for the next few weeks), and judge after that. But so far, so good!!!
Agree with everything to 100%!!! What an album :bow

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

So what has happened to Myles' low range vocal? It is almost completely missing on this album. The Other Side is about the only song he keeps his vocal range low. Every song is super high pitched squeal.... I miss the low range steady vocal Myles gave us in previous albums. The constant high range, 5 backing harmonies gets old song after song.

I love the album.. I just wish Myles would come back down to a vocal range that he has way more control over instead of going high range on every chorus...

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

I think it is safe to say this album is definitely gonna be a lovve/hate one for me, and a lot here. The songs are not bad, that much is clear. But overuse of effects, lyrical cliché's and the god awful production just let it down so much.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

Got the album downloaded before the hurricane came through. With no power, I got to listen a few times through. Hot damn is it awesome! A lot better than AB3 and probably Fortress. Awesome stuff!

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

I have no idea how anyone can honestly enjoy the Crows on a Wire chorus. It's just so fucking cringey and embarrassing. I love everything else about that song but I legitimately believe it to be the worst chorus in their discography.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

DCooper727 wrote:I have no idea how anyone can honestly enjoy the Crows on a Wire chorus. It's just so fucking cringey and embarrassing. I love everything else about that song but I legitimately believe it to be the worst chorus in their discography.
another example of Myles going way too high on the album.. it's almost cringeworthy that every song has that constant high vocal with about 15 backing vocals to make it go even higher....

Go back to ODR/BB mid range vocal and just chillllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I think that chorus is a grower. I like it a lot now.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I will say, This Side of Fate bridge, the emotion backing the vocals is superb. That is the Alter Bridge I know.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

nagpo wrote:wtf my eyes. This place got brighter.

The album is better on a second listen for me. The chorus for Crows on a wire is catchy as hell
Yea.....I'm liking the old forum background better cuz the darker stuff was just easier on my eyes as well.

Anyways, not trying to derail the thread or anything....

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Has anyone figured out any of the tunings used yet? I am guessing the SMAL is just standard 7 string tuning (I don't have a 7 string so can't check but sounds it) and I have just figured out You Will Be Remembered, that one is played in drop D with a capo on the 2nd fret.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I kinda like the new forum style haha. Loving the details especially.

Still in love with THL as well. Amazing album. Always a few skip tracks, but have that with all the albums. I can agree on the busy production, but somehow I've learned to cope with it.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

The Plotblocker wrote:Has anyone figured out any of the tunings used yet? I am guessing the SMAL is just standard 7 string tuning (I don't have a 7 string so can't check but sounds it) and I have just figured out You Will Be Remembered, that one is played in drop D with a capo on the 2nd fret.
Curious about the Island of Fools tuning. Is it like B/Bb again? :/

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

The Plotblocker wrote:Has anyone figured out any of the tunings used yet? I am guessing the SMAL is just standard 7 string tuning (I don't have a 7 string so can't check but sounds it) and I have just figured out You Will Be Remembered, that one is played in drop D with a capo on the 2nd fret.
Check out Musicians Unite section, dude.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Dolo wrote:
Check out Musicians Unite section, dude.
Oh sweet :) Cheers man, hadn't spotted that thread yet.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

As many have said here, and it's certainly true with me with the last 2 albums, some albums take a while to grow. It's hard for me to form a fair opinion on an album that's been out for 4 days (well, 5 days, though I got my BestBuy copies on Thursday and promptly shipped them all overseas an hour later) because it takes me a while to listen and take in everything that's there.

That's even more of the case here because of how ridiculously over-produced this album is. Every song is just so busy. I find it really hard to sort through all the layers and the wall of sound, and that's been getting worse since ABIII. It's unnecessary. These guys are the best musicians in the word. They don't need layers upon layers of sound burying what these guys can do. They need Flip and BMarsh laying down a groove, Mark and Myles each playing a guitar, and Myles singing with Mark adding some harmony. That's all. The rest just detracts.

I was able to love ODR on one play. It was so much simpler to listen to the songs and hear each part and appreciate the nuances and experience what great musicians the guys are. With this album and the two before it, it's almost easier to listen to it by playing one song and then stopping to let it echo in the mind for a few minutes before going to the next song because there is just so much going on. I really look forward to hearing these songs live just to force them to be simpler. And I'd love to hear AB6 with a different producer.

But back to the present...I've listened to this album a bunch of times by now and I think AB shows some interesting growth and development on this one without straying too far from what AB is. I'm not the kind to expect a band to fit my mold. I prefer to listen to how a band evolves and then see if I want to go along with it. I love the range of songs on TLH - there are elements of Blackbird and ABIII and Fortress all over this one. I love the catchy choruses in Poison and Champion, maybe because it's so easy to catch a hold of those parts amongst the overly complex layers everywhere else. The songs that really stand out the most to me include Island of Fools, The Last Hero, Losing Patience, Cradle To The Grave, & The Last of Our Kind (Symphony Of Agony).

Like the last 2 albums, I expect The Last Hero will be a grower. It's better today than it was yesterday and that was better than the day before, and I really liked it the first time I heard it all the way through. I liked Fortress a lot at first too, but it took me a few weeks to really love and appreciate and to know Fortress. I expect the same will happen here, and it's starting off from a great spot. I wrote elsewhere this album is like an A-, and that's based on the song writing and musicianship. It would be an A or A+ with better production.
Last edited by gbruin on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

double post. damn new buttons...
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Jamvol
Brand New Start

Post by Jamvol »

As a beginning to end experience I think TLH is ‘good’ rather than ‘great’. However just thinking about it as an expansion to the collective AB music pool, then there are 6 or so very worthwhile additions there, which I’m happy with. My expectations for the album were admittedly pretty low based on the early releases and some of the comments I'd read about the writing process - to the point where I was convinced TLH was going to be AB’s first flop.
Normally I roll my eyes at online criticisms of music production, but with TLH I really see where people are coming form. This is a borderline painful album to listen to with headphones, which sadly is my most common way of listening to music. The lack of prominent Tremonti backing vocals in the mix is also sorely missed. I remember thinking Tremonti looked knackered when he was promoting Dust earlier this year and I think the man needs a break, he’s certainly earned it.