The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
DeadCell
Come To Life

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by DeadCell »

Does anyone know what the US official AB store vinyl looks like? I know the UK got various different colors. Was just wondering if ours was like a bullseye design or just plain old black.

I have a copy but I'm using it as wall art. Didn't want to open it, was just curious lol.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

cheesedip1 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:Slip to the Void is a pretty interesting song structure-wise. In case of TLH, the title track seems to be the only song where they went against the grain.
I feel there could have been more "epicness" with a third verse and chorus after the first ones, but I guess sometimes you need to break the mold at times.
I'd be afraid that adding a third verse would perhaps make WDTTW too long and bloated. Imo, sometimes less is more.
Perhaps. I wouldn't have had the break after the first chorus though (that echo-singing part or whatever you call it), where he says "You can rise or run." I somehow think it would have worked, but I don't really know without hearing the content, of chorus.

Here's how I would have done it, provided they have the content for another verse and "pre-chorus" (Mark's singing parts).

Intro
Verse 1
Pre-chorus 1
Verse 2
Pre-chorus 2
Chorus x1
(guitar break)
Verse 3
Pre-chorus 3
Chorus x2
(long break)
Bridge
(guitar break)
Chorus x2
Outro

Honestly, it would probably not even add a minute onto the song. Probably more like 45 seconds.

I just don't like when a song or movie has so much bulk around the content, and then very little content itself. Like a 90 minute film with a 3 minute opening credits sequence.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

DeadCell wrote:Does anyone know what the US official AB store vinyl looks like? I know the UK got various different colors. Was just wondering if ours was like a bullseye design or just plain old black.

I have a copy but I'm using it as wall art. Didn't want to open it, was just curious lol.
https://alterbridge.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=29364

Does this help?

DeadCell
Come To Life

Post by DeadCell »

Jim wrote:
DeadCell wrote:Does anyone know what the US official AB store vinyl looks like? I know the UK got various different colors. Was just wondering if ours was like a bullseye design or just plain old black.

Does this help?
I meant the US version, but you did somewhat answer my question. I went back and looked at the US site and it shows a plain old lame black vinyl:

https://www.alterbridge.com/store/last-hero-double-lp-0

It's okay. There's no AB fans in the US right? Had I known that the everybody across the pond would have 6 different versions to choose from, whereas the US gets black.... then I wouldn't have even bothered.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

LOL

Is the vinyl mastered any different, or just as crappily?

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Haven't got any of my preordered vinyl yet...or anything from alterbridge.com for that matter.
Photobucket cash grab.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

What the fuck I'm used to this place looking satanic.

Box Of Frogz
Bought The CDs

Post by Box Of Frogz »

I like it, it's solid. But there's nothing that gave me that "holy shit" feeling that even some songs on ABIII gave me. It's a mor consistant album than AbIII but it just doesn't have the highs of that album.
I enjoy some of the songs but it's their worst album and just doesn't move me in the way that an Alter Bridge album should, sadly - that's what's missing.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I don't know...I get some wow moments in this album. The bridges in both Cradle to the Grave and This Side Of Fate come to mind. I feel pretty similar about this album and AB III. A lot of great moments, but there's a few tracks I skip too. I think it's similar to AB III in that both albums would be amazing if they had about 10-11 songs each. The overall lengths and some of the filler material knock them down a little bit.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Box Of Frogz wrote:I like it, it's solid. But there's nothing that gave me that "holy shit" feeling that even some songs on ABIII gave me. It's a mor consistant album than AbIII but it just doesn't have the highs of that album.
I enjoy some of the songs but it's their worst album and just doesn't move me in the way that an Alter Bridge album should, sadly - that's what's missing.
Kind of feels like an EP, imo. I don't really like the theme (even though i think it gets quite inconsistent). Almost as if they just decided to release all songs from the past that they've ever recorded.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

wtf my eyes. This place got brighter.

The album is better on a second listen for me. The chorus for Crows on a wire is catchy as hell

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

This is the first Alter Bridge album without a song that grabbed my attention on the very first listen. AB III had Slip to the Void and All Hope Is Gone, One Day Remains had Metalingus and Find the Real, Fortress had Cry of Achilles and Fortress, and Blackbird had pretty much 3/4ths of the album.

Here it was all a bit eh. There are a couple of tracks (Cradle to the Grave, Last Hero, Crows on a Wire) that are a cut above the rest, and a few others (Poison In Your Veins, Losing Patience) that are catchy, but on the whole, definitely my least favorite Alter Bridge album.

The overall sound has a lot in common with the Tremonti albums, which I'm not a fan of at all. The riffs are probably my main problem: a bit too downtuned, chug-a-chug, Hot-Topic-metal-like for my tastes. Fortress had this issue too but got away with it because there were still enough memorable riffs that stood out (Cry of Achilles, Peace Is Broken, The Uninvited, Cry Me A River, Waters Rising, the breakdown in Fortress). The only enjoyable one here is The Last Hero, I can't stand the "heaviness" of The Other Side or Island of Fools.

FlyingMonkey97
Bought The CDs

Post by FlyingMonkey97 »

Is anyone else using this version of the album art? I'm still really liking it

sPAZAttack91
Brand New Start

Post by sPAZAttack91 »

Who produced ODR? That record has an amazing sound. Maybe the guys could get into contact with him!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

sPAZAttack91 wrote:Who produced ODR? That record has an amazing sound. Maybe the guys could get into contact with him!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Grosse

This dude has quite a CV.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Brian hated the ODR sessions because he didn't get along well with Ben Grosse. There is a 0% chance of them working together again.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

I've been listening to TLH now multiple times. Love it! Love every track on it! I really like where the band is going musically, really like this prog-metal thing, it perfectly fits them in my opinion. Island Of Fools, The Last Hero, This Side Of Fate, Crows On A Wire and The Other Side are my highlights. Really looking forward to the concert in Basel :)

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

FlyingMonkey97 wrote:Is anyone else using this version of the album art? I'm still really liking it

That's just something I threw together in Photoshop man, appreciate you liking it! Ha

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

DeadCell wrote:
Jim wrote:

Does this help?
I meant the US version, but you did somewhat answer my question. I went back and looked at the US site and it shows a plain old lame black vinyl:

https://www.alterbridge.com/store/last-hero-double-lp-0

It's okay. There's no AB fans in the US right? Had I known that the everybody across the pond would have 6 different versions to choose from, whereas the US gets black.... then I wouldn't have even bothered.
You got Breathe! Be grateful ;) Plus, AB are more popular in Europe, especially the UK. That is just a fact right now. Hopefully it will change soon and they will be as popular there as they are here. But from a marketting POV it makes a lot more sense to release more version in the places more people like the band.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Heyho, I just want to give my 2 cents about the album. I've listened to it the whole weekend now and I thank it's time for a short song by song review. I guess most of you will be surprised about the high ratings, but I totally love this album. :peace :headbang

Show me a Leader - Actually it's a pretty good song imo, it's different and I am glad that the other songs on the album are very different, but as an opener I think it's a good song choice
8/10

The Writing on the Wall - Another song which I really like. Not the best one on the album, but a decent AB track.
8/10

The Other Side - Really a standout track for me, the lyrics are totally awesome as well as the kinda different, very dark and heavy style. Wonderful song.
9/10

My Champion - It's also not my favorite track, but as an uplifting AB song I really dig it.
7/10

Poison in your Veins - Straight forward hard rock song, well placed between My Champion and the outstanding CttG.
7/10

Cradle to the Grave - The only reason it is not a 10/10 for me is that the chorus is just a little bit lacking sth in comparison to the rest of this masterpiece. One of the best AB songs ever imo, the first two verses have to be my new AB favorite verses.
9.5/10 :bow

Losing Patience - I kinda like the lyrics, the song is not really special, but also not a disappointment imo. A little bit similar "songstructurewise" to Poison.
7/10

This Side of Fate - A highlight, love this song, the part where Myles screams into the solo is maybe my all time favorite AB part. Gives me goosebumps everytime. But again - the chorus is a little bit lacking, it's good but not as epic as the rest of the song. But still this song will probably be in my Top 5 AB songs.
9.5/10 :rockon

You Will be Remembered - I am from Europe, have nothing to do with the lyrics, but I really like the song and do not understand all the "hate". I maybe like it even more than the studio version of "Watch over You". No, I'm not kidding. Great AB ballad.
8/10

Crows on a Wire - Just a great AB tune. Myles voice really shines in the chorus.
9/10

Twilight - At first it was my least favorite, but it is definitely a grower. Well placed between Crows and Island, but the song itself is still one of the weaker tracks for me.
7/10

Island of Fools - I love it. So heavy, so cool, that solo in the end is just.... one of the best parts of this album.
10/10 :headbang

The Last Hero - Definitely one of the best songs they've ever made. The last ten seconds could be competing with the scream in this side of Fate about my favorite AB part of all time.
10.5/10 :yes

Last of our Kind - ...shouldnt be a bonus track.
8.5/10

I like to rate this album as a whole and not just summing up the points, and I'd give it a 9. Mybe it will go up to a 10 sometime, maybe down to a 8 - but for me it is definetly a great album. I couldn't be happier. Imo even the weaker tracks on this album (and every album has them) are decent and I dont want to skip a single track.

:mkrules :mtrocks