The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by riemslag1 »

For me it's completely different. I adore ABIII. For me (still) by a long distance their best album ever. However, without identifying which one I rank fith, that one still beats most other rock albums anyway. I'm still struggeling rating the new album, but I have the feeling that if I give it time and enough listens, it will certainly be a grower for me. But still for me ABIII will probably stay unrivalled as their best album.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:For those who love Cradle to the Grave (including myself), don't watch this if you fear this might ruin the song for you...

... but every time I hear the verses, I think of the chorus of this song:

https://youtu.be/IOULK8J4S7E?t=44s

This does not ruin the song for me personally, but I do think this fits more closely than Crows on a Wire chorus fits with Katy Perry's Roar chorus.
I love that song! (the song in the Youtube link)

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

AB III holds a very special place in my heart and mind. I love Slip, was blown away by Isolation as a single and also love All Hope and Show Me A Sign. There is filler on that album for sure though.
But I feel the same about every AB album. I hate Rise Today for example. For me it's the standout tracks that make me like one album more than the other. And TLH sure had some of that for me at least

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

AHart96 wrote:^Crumbso
The first solo is Myles, and I can comfortably say it is his best solo ever
Which one are you talking about?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:For those who love Cradle to the Grave (including myself), don't watch this if you fear this might ruin the song for you...

This does not ruin the song for me personally, but I do think this fits more closely than Crows on a Wire chorus fits with Katy Perry's Roar chorus.
When I first heard it I thought it reminding of something but couldn't figure it out. The sad thing is I only know that song from the snippet they would play in that Now that's what I call music commercial.

Harry©
Bought The CDs

Post by Harry© »

well I'm rather enjoying this album. I agree there is always filler on AB albums, normally 2 tracks or so but they all seem strong apart from Twilight which is the obvious filler song for me.
I would have liked to have seen a bit more messing with the arrangement like in Fortress but this album is pretty great.

Also I like AB 3 a lot though I think the b sides should have been on the album and the filler swapped out.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

This dude is very much spot on from 8:30 onwards.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Can you really trust a guy who thinks those sunglasses were a good idea?

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AB23 wrote:It's a masterpiece. White Knuckles, One by One, Rise Today, Wayward One, and Buried Alive. Hell, even Come to Life when it had its sinister lyrics clearly about Scott Stapp.

You have to understand that you keep talking about Blackbird, and that's fine. I mean you kind of keep repeating yourself as if you're making a point. But I have just as strong of a point about ABIII. You take out Words Darker than their Wings, and that album is absolute ass. Isolation is the worst single they've ever released (I timed my potty break during that song at the concert tonight) and everything else really sucks. Wonderful Life connects with some because of the lyrics. Slip to the Void connects with some people just because the first minute sounds like a Pink Floyd song. Other than that, you don't hear anyone talking about any songs because they aren't very good.

So just like you don't like Blackbird, I really honestly hate ABIII. I don't listen to it at all. Crazy how that shit works. I think more people like Blackbird than ABIII though just based on the sentiments around here and how much Blackbird, as an album, connected with some people around here when it was released. It was the first time people actually thought AB had taken its own approach and stepped into it

s own direction. It was a monumental moment. I remember when ABIII came out, within a week people were sending in pretty negative reviews.

I don't think I could point to any single song on Blackbird and say it's a legitimately bad song... like even Before Tomorrow Comes makes me smile because of how incredibly uplifting it is. But I mean Isolation, Still Remains, Zero, Breathe Again, Fallout, and I Know it Hurts, to me, are just not good rock songs relative to music in general... not just relative to Alter Bridge.

One by One :zzz Rise Today :zzz Buried Alive Meh White Knuckles solid just my opinion

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:Can you really trust a guy who thinks those sunglasses were a good idea?
Haha I follow him as well and his reviews are pretty good usually, and always with sunglasses (guess that's his 'thing'). Like here I think he's spot on talking about fatigue because of the busy production.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Agree with the guy, that's exactly how I felt.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

^ I agree as well. He was spot on. Fatigue is an interesting word. The production makes every song feel likes its on full blast. None of the songs can soar like Broken Wings because every song is starts and finishes at 100%.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

After yet another listen through, I have a new opinion to share.
Island of Fools is such a complete song. Amazing verse and chorus vocal melodies, that gargantuan riff, the sinister way the song starts, 2 amazing solos from Myles and Mark, a sweet bridge, and fantastic play by the rhythm section. 5/5

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Currently #5 overall on iTunes. Not just the rock category, overall. Thats awesome.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:Currently #5 overall on iTunes. Not just the rock category, overall. Thats awesome.
That is awesome. They deserve it. Hope it gets even higher.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

DCooper727 wrote:
Lukeage wrote: My least favourite remains Show Me a Leader. While it is not the worst thing AB have ever done (Words Darker Than Their Wings holds that title as far as I'm concerned), I think it is close. There's just something about it that screams "play us on the radio because we have a message" and it all just feels so dead and mainstream and I just don't think AB need to be that. It doesn't suit them to be that kind of a band. I would take heart and soul and true meaning over popularity any day.

The rest of the songs are average so far, but, will likely grow on me with further listening.
And you don't get that exact vibe from Show Me a Leader/My Champion/Poison in Your Veins/You Will Be Remembered/Crows on a Wire and a good bit more?

This album is practically radio-bait, which saddens me to say.

*Sorry for the double post*
Am I the only one who thinks NONE of their songs are radio friendly? I can't picture a single song of theirs on radio, their music sounds nothing like the music you hear on the radio. Even the ones dubbed "radio friendly".

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

I don't often agree with people's "it sounds like this song" (don't hear the Katy Perry comparison at all, sorry), but this is actually very similar. I lol'ed.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote: Am I the only one who thinks NONE of their songs are radio friendly? I can't picture a single song of theirs on radio, their music sounds nothing like the music you hear on the radio. Even the ones dubbed "radio friendly".
A hell of an unpopular opinion. I would agree in case of some tunes from previous records, but this time around 3/4 of the record is radio-friendly af.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Dolo wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote: Am I the only one who thinks NONE of their songs are radio friendly? I can't picture a single song of theirs on radio, their music sounds nothing like the music you hear on the radio. Even the ones dubbed "radio friendly".
A hell of an unpopular opinion. I would agree in case of some tunes from previous records, but this time around 3/4 of the record is radio-friendly af.
Idk I just don't hear it. I understand some of the chord progressions are used in radio hits, but they don't end up sounding like radio songs. There is a reason you never really hear them on FM radio. My Champion is dubbed radio friendly, but name me one song like it that is on radio. Their big anthemic choruses just aren't done in radio rock. It's all folk stuff, chord strummy heavy stuff, dance stuff, wannabe rap stuff, country, or oldies. Even classic rock, which is closer to AB in format, sounds nothing like AB. Just my opinion, but I could never picture My Champion following up a Green Day song on the radio. Though it should.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

I can't think of any singers on the radio who really even have the same type of voice as Myles. They are all lower and "brute force". I don't hear a lot of vocals on rock radio that sing the real high stuff like Myles. I think his voice prevents songs from being radio friendly. And that's not a knock on Myles because I would take him over Corey Taylor, Chad Kroeger, etc any day of the week.