The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AHart96
Rise Today

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by AHart96 »

Lukeage wrote:My least favourite remains Show Me a Leader. While it is not the worst thing AB have ever done (Words Darker Than Their Wings holds that title as far as I'm concerned)
Man, very bold thing to say on this board. While I don't agree with the statement, much respect for stating it and having no fear in what you like/don't like :cheers This is what this place should be. A place to be truthful with your opinions and not be judged for it
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Of course I'll judge him for that! What a dumb opinion! ;)
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Moron... :)

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I FUCKING HATE YOU

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Don't feel bad, man. I think WDTTW is only average myself.

I do feel like this record is a grower, much like Ab3. I really think Im going to give it time before I rank or review it.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

mycarhasabs
Brand New Start

Post by mycarhasabs »

Good evening ladies and gents (I presume there's some ladies on board at least). I don't post often but when I do I make it count. I was one of many who pre ordered and have not received the album yet due to that sob named Mathew bringing a mass amount of rain and wind on our beloved east coast. Thanks a lot A hole haha.

Anyway, I did get a chance to listen to the album today at work on Spotify.

Let me start by saying that I have had a few tonight so bare with me.

I can't say I really understand what some are complaining about. This is certainly no Blackbird album, which for me is untouchable. If the band could continue to make albums within reach of their sophomore album's quality, they'd be doing just fine..and I think they are. I personally love the combo of Tremonti's solo project meets AB meets Slash. I've read a few comments about Myles sounding "nasaly"? I for one don't mind it at all. If anything I think it pairs really well to Tremonti's riffs. The higher pitched his voice goes during certain parts, the wider my smile goes. Sure, there's a few singles on this record I don't care for. My Champion is one of them, along with Twilight. I thought those two were pretty "meh".

The other singles that people seem to be falling head over heels in love with that I can't quite understand is "This Side of Fate" and "Island of Fools". Granted, it's been one day and not a real hard listen to the album. Perhaps within a weeks time I will think differently. But so far I find them a bit underwhelming.

For me though, the easy favorites in no particular order are The Other Side, Cradle To the Mother Effing Grave (heart that one), Crows on a Wire, and The Last Hero.

I for one cannot call this album a failure by a long shot. I'd put it in the same category as Fortress. A solid effort to match Blackbird but ultimately a few misses. To me, Blackbird is flawless. Not a bad song on that record. That album got me through some dark times in my life. So I think to anyone who hasn't listened to the album yet, I'd finish with this. If you're anticipating another album that doesn't match Blackbird quality but simply comes a bit farther passed Fortress in meeting it's comparability, you won't be disappointed. I love it's subtle political theme.

All in all, this has been a nice early wedding gift. (10/8/16) And so is the live stream concert tonight at 10:50 EST.

Thundercats
Brand New Start

Post by Thundercats »

mycarhasabs wrote:Good evening ladies and gents (I presume there's some ladies on board at least). I don't post often but when I do I make it count. I was one of many who pre ordered and have not received the album yet due to that sob named Mathew bringing a mass amount of rain and wind on our beloved east coast. Thanks a lot A hole haha.

I can't say I really understand what some are complaining about. This is certainly no Blackbird album, which for me is untouchable. If the band could continue to make albums within reach of their sophomore album's quality, they'd be doing just fine..and I think they are. I personally love the combo of Tremonti's solo project meets AB meets Slash. I've read a few comments about Myles sounding "nasaly"? I for one don't mind it at all. If anything I think it pairs really well to Tremonti's riffs. The higher pitched his voice goes during certain parts, the wider my smile goes. Sure, there's a few singles on this record I don't care for. My Champion is one of them, along with Twilight. I thought those two were pretty "meh".

The other singles that people seem to be falling head over heels in love with that I can't quite understand is "This Side of Fate" and "Island of Fools". Granted, it's been one day and not a real hard listen to the album. Perhaps within a weeks time I will think differently. But so far I find them a bit underwhelming.

For me though, the easy favorites in no particular order are The Other Side, Cradle To the Mother Effing Grave (heart that one), Crows on a Wire, and The Last Hero.

I for one cannot call this album a failure by a long shot. I'd put it in the same category as Fortress. A solid effort to match Blackbird but ultimately a few misses. To me, Blackbird is flawless. Not a bad song on that record. That album got me through some dark times in my life. So I think to anyone who hasn't listened to the album yet, I'd finish with this. If you're anticipating another album that doesn't match Blackbird quality but simply comes a bit farther passed Fortress in meeting it's comparability, you won't be disappointed. I love it's subtle political theme.

All in all, this has been a nice early wedding gift. (10/8/16) And so is the live stream concert tonight at 10:50 EST.
I agree with almost all of this. I like My Champion, but Twilight is bad and I think Losing Patience is a waste of time. SMAL is very bland outside of the intro. Those 3 are songs I dont necessarily care for. The rest, however, are good-to excellent. I could do without the first 2 minutes of "This Side of Fate", but it gets very good after that. I do not like ABIII at all.. I find it to be weak in general, and all the songs sounded too similar. This album sounds nothing like ABIII to me except for Twilight. The dark tone from ABIII is here, but this one is so much heavier and dirtier. To me, this is Fortress meets Dust. Excellent album. On par with Fortress, but still doesnt match Blackbird. I would put this slightly above Fortress and right below Blackbird. I believe this is their 2nd best album to date.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

One Drew Remains wrote:Don't feel bad, man. I think WDTTW is only average myself.

I do feel like this record is a grower, much like Ab3. I really think Im going to give it time before I rank or review it.
First time they released WDDTW early, I didn't feel it right away. I truly believe it's one of their best songs now. AB albums have been growers from day one for me. Shit, I didn't care much for Blackbird when I first heard it. It's now one of my favorite songs of all time!

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

mycarhasabs wrote:Good evening ladies and gents (I presume there's some ladies on board at least). I don't post often but when I do I make it count. I was one of many who pre ordered and have not received the album yet due to that sob named Mathew bringing a mass amount of rain and wind on our beloved east coast. Thanks a lot A hole haha.

Congrats on the wedding! Was my 2 year anniversary September 20th. My main advice is have fun. It's your day. Maybe put a few down before hand (helped calm my nerves lol).

AnybodyListening.net
Brand New Start

Post by AnybodyListening.net »

Hi. I've listened twice. The one thing for me that has stuck out is that it is, to my ears, the band's most cohesive record so far. Even the filler-like cuts go places where similar types of songs didnt go in the past.

On the other hand, after two passes on all the other records, I had identified at least a few cuts that were clear favorites for one reason or another. I haven't had that same reaction this time.

There are, however, a lot of great melodies, time changes, and dynamics on this record. It leads me to think that it, like many great themeatic records of the past, repeated listens will be pretty rewarding.

The band has clearly evolved from a mainstream hard rock act, to a modern progressive rock\metal juggernaut. Been a hell of a ride so far, and The Last Hero continues that evolution...

billdrambis
Brand New Start

Post by billdrambis »

So I will say this: I LOVE this album. Love it. I will also say I think the posts in this thread and the feedback is more of a commentary on us as the fans that the band. As I read through previous responses, I was shocked by the wide range of replies and opinions.

My thoughts:

- At the risk of being immediately banned from this board ill confess Blackbird is EASILY my least favorite AB album. I feel its rather bland and uninteresting, which might be why I like this one so much.

- I feel this is far and away their most progressive and interesting album. Its complex and there's a lot going on (which I love and think is a good thing).

- In the last 3-4 albums Mark has been a part of his solo's have undergone a drastic evolution. I think this album offers some of his best work. Myles solos also are incredible on this album.

- Its okay to have an opinion, but I also sense a strong sense of entitlement from some on this board. Some have expressed well articulated ideas and thoughts and do not prefer this record; there's not a thing wrong with that.

However, it would seem that certain others feel wronged because AB did not produce exactly what they like with this album, and have used this thread to vent their frustration and sling some mud around in the process all under the guise of 'i'm allowed to have an opinion'.

- I'd be thrilled if they used a different produced in the future. I don't like the production style and some of what I've read about Elvis and his influence on the whole process is troubling to me.

The Last Hero Favorites:
- Island of Fools (my gosh, it blew my mind)
- The Last Hero
- This Side of Fate

That's just my $.02; do with it what you will.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

AB23 wrote:What do you mean? As in, some people are beginning to recognize that the band is heading in a different direction than they want?

Because honestly, that opinion I stole from Jaded Rescue's farewell thread lol. It kind of opened my eyes, to be honest. Like, I think he's absolutely right. I didn't want to admit it, but the band is kind of growing apart from me. I just genuinely think the quality of music they are producing is declining. And it fucking pains me to say that, because this was a life changing band for me.

That got #real pretty quick.

FWIW, I love that some new people around here are coming on here and loving it. AB is still going to be someone else's favorite band because of this record. But I don't think I can tell you with a straight face that this album is good. I just don't think it is. It hurts my fucking heart to admit that
Are you me? I literally had a conversation with another diehard fan of the band about the album a few days before it came out (we got early BB copies) and at the end of the conversation I remember saying to him, "I can't believe there's a bad Alter Bridge album" and it fucking hurt to say that.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Lukeage wrote: My least favourite remains Show Me a Leader. While it is not the worst thing AB have ever done (Words Darker Than Their Wings holds that title as far as I'm concerned), I think it is close. There's just something about it that screams "play us on the radio because we have a message" and it all just feels so dead and mainstream and I just don't think AB need to be that. It doesn't suit them to be that kind of a band. I would take heart and soul and true meaning over popularity any day.

The rest of the songs are average so far, but, will likely grow on me with further listening.
And you don't get that exact vibe from Show Me a Leader/My Champion/Poison in Your Veins/You Will Be Remembered/Crows on a Wire and a good bit more?

This album is practically radio-bait, which saddens me to say.

*Sorry for the double post*

AnybodyListening.net
Brand New Start

Post by AnybodyListening.net »

I think all of AB's records have been radio friendly. Over the years they have just expanded the technical elements of the songs, but the big choruses and sweeping melodies are always a part of their tunes. The Last Hero continues that.

Personally, if you are in your 40s, and raised in the 70s and 80s, you can hear them becoming this era's Queensryche, circa 1989-1994. A band that embraces prog elements but maintains tons of hooks. That's a good thing.

If you got into hard rock later, say the late 90s, I could see how AB's evolution may be bothersome. But Im a prog metal/hard rock guy, and AB has become the torchbearer for bands that straddle that line between prog and mainstream hard rock.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

For those who love Cradle to the Grave (including myself), don't watch this if you fear this might ruin the song for you...

... but every time I hear the verses, I think of the chorus of this song:

https://youtu.be/IOULK8J4S7E?t=44s

This does not ruin the song for me personally, but I do think this fits more closely than Crows on a Wire chorus fits with Katy Perry's Roar chorus.

Bman2112
Brand New Start

Post by Bman2112 »

Currently listening to 'cradle to grave' as I love the verses, the melody and lyrics.....but the way Myles sings the chorus, especially the word "escape". Urg!

I'm liking stuff, and I'm disliking stuff. But my main complaint is Myles' singing.

It's all at that really high register - he needs to breathe!!

In some cases the songs need to breathe too....there's too much going on - a wall of noise. His lower register is far nicer to listen to and could have been incorporated into some of these songs.

Man....never ever thought I'd be complaining about Myles' voice.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I do wonder, if they plan on doing a concert with a lot of those songs, if he can keep up with that pitch and tempo for all of those songs. I'd hate for them to have to lower the key for a song.

I guess this is just the album, though. You have to think that someday they will dial it back again.

I am enjoying this album a lot, but fatigue certainly does settle in.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

billdrambis wrote:So I will say this: I LOVE this album. Love it. I will also say I think the posts in this thread and the feedback is more of a commentary on us as the fans that the band. As I read through previous responses, I was shocked by the wide range of replies and opinions.

My thoughts:

- At the risk of being immediately banned from this board ill confess Blackbird is EASILY my least favorite AB album. I feel its rather bland and uninteresting, which might be why I like this one so much.

- I feel this is far and away their most progressive and interesting album. Its complex and there's a lot going on (which I love and think is a good thing).

- In the last 3-4 albums Mark has been a part of his solo's have undergone a drastic evolution. I think this album offers some of his best work. Myles solos also are incredible on this album.

- Its okay to have an opinion, but I also sense a strong sense of entitlement from some on this board. Some have expressed well articulated ideas and thoughts and do not prefer this record; there's not a thing wrong with that.

However, it would seem that certain others feel wronged because AB did not produce exactly what they like with this album, and have used this thread to vent their frustration and sling some mud around in the process all under the guise of 'i'm allowed to have an opinion'.

- I'd be thrilled if they used a different produced in the future. I don't like the production style and some

of what I've read about Elvis and his influence on the whole process is troubling to me.

The Last Hero Favorites:
- Island of Fools (my gosh, it blew my mind)
- The Last Hero
- This Side of Fate

That's just my $.02; do with it what you will.
I agree with a lot of what u said i also rank Blackbird as last for the same reasons as you.Honestly take out Brand new start,Blackbird and Watch Over You and tell me that album is a masterpiece

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Bman2112 wrote:Currently listening to 'cradle to grave' as I love the verses, the melody and lyrics.....but the way Myles sings the chorus, especially the word "escape". Urg!

I'm liking stuff, and I'm disliking stuff. But my main complaint is Myles' singing.

It's all at that really high register - he needs to breathe!!

In some cases the songs need to breathe too....there's too much going on - a wall of noise. His lower register is far nicer to listen to and could have been incorporated into some of these songs.

Man....never ever thought I'd be complaining about Myles' voice.

I love,love the way he sings 'escape' and rank Cradle as 1 of his best vocal performances with AB

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

It's a masterpiece. White Knuckles, One by One, Rise Today, Wayward One, and Buried Alive. Hell, even Come to Life when it had its sinister lyrics clearly about Scott Stapp.

You have to understand that you keep talking about Blackbird, and that's fine. I mean you kind of keep repeating yourself as if you're making a point. But I have just as strong of a point about ABIII. You take out Words Darker than their Wings, and that album is absolute ass. Isolation is the worst single they've ever released (I timed my potty break during that song at the concert tonight) and everything else really sucks. Wonderful Life connects with some because of the lyrics. Slip to the Void connects with some people just because the first minute sounds like a Pink Floyd song. Other than that, you don't hear anyone talking about any songs because they aren't very good.

So just like you don't like Blackbird, I really honestly hate ABIII. I don't listen to it at all. Crazy how that shit works. I think more people like Blackbird than ABIII though just based on the sentiments around here and how much Blackbird, as an album, connected with some people around here when it was released. It was the first time people actually thought AB had taken its own approach and stepped into its own direction. It was a monumental moment. I remember when ABIII came out, within a week people were sending in pretty negative reviews.

I don't think I could point to any single song on Blackbird and say it's a legitimately bad song... like even Before Tomorrow Comes makes me smile because of how incredibly uplifting it is. But I mean Isolation, Still Remains, Zero, Breathe Again, Fallout, and I Know it Hurts, to me, are just not good rock songs relative to music in general... not just relative to Alter Bridge.