Breathe Appreciation Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: Breathe Appreciation Thread

Post by chtimixeur »

+1
Aside from the intro, it's one of their blandest songs.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

So YouTube to the rescue again. Nice song. Nice to hear Myles singing low again, and a lovely clean part. But definitely a B-Side. Where would it fit on the album? It wouldn't IMO.

People hate Save Me?? I love that song so much!!! That note =D Also love Schilp too, especially when it all drops in. I do agree that Myles needs to sort the live vocal for that one out though.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

The Plotblocker wrote:So YouTube to the rescue again. Nice song. Nice to hear Myles singing low again, and a lovely clean part. But definitely a B-Side. Where would it fit on the album? It wouldn't IMO.

People hate Save Me?? I love that song so much!!! That note =D Also love Schilp too, especially when it all drops in. I do agree that Myles needs to sort the live vocal for that one out though.
Save Me is easily a bottom 5 AB song for me.

nildiven
Bought The CDs

Post by nildiven »

I was so stoked for this song after the preview. But it doesn't really go anywhere after that. Still, I do long for those beautiful, clean finger picked intros tremonti practically patented at the time but has since favored more and more heavy, low tuned riffs.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

VigilantSteve wrote:
The Plotblocker wrote:So YouTube to the rescue again. Nice song. Nice to hear Myles singing low again, and a lovely clean part. But definitely a B-Side. Where would it fit on the album? It wouldn't IMO.

Save Me is easily a bottom 5 AB song for me.
Damn. That surprises me. I thought everyone loved that song.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

These vocal harmonies though... On TLH you can hardly hear Mark do backing singing, but those in Breathe are gold. Makes me think of Open Your Eyes and Save Me choruses in particular.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Dolo wrote:These vocal harmonies though... On TLH you can hardly hear Mark do backing singing, but those in Breathe are gold. Makes me think of Open Your Eyes and Save Me choruses in particular.
Yeah Marks vocals have been too buried on TLH. Here you can hear just how amazing their 2 voice meld together.

Shortman45
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Shortman45 »

After listening to the entire song, I've gotta say that it was not as good as I was hoping. Definitely a B side.
The preview was fantastic and turns out it is the best part of the song.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

I wonder if Breathe Again was the sequel to Breathe? :lol

Listening to it now on youtube - its pretty good. I wasn't one hyped for it like some of the others here - I can see why its a B-side though.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Did anyone find out if this song was remixed or any parts rerecorded, or is this the original unchanged 2004 version?

I loved that preview so much and I hoped the song might build even more from there, but it really didn't change much from that 60 second snippet. I agree with Ryan that it sounds sort of unfinished in that sense, but I still really like this song. It's so great to hear that pure clean tone with Myles' unlayered voice from ODR. Beautiful.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

gbruin wrote:Did anyone find out if this song was remixed or any parts rerecorded, or is this the original unchanged 2004 version?
Just by listening to it, I'm fairly confident the mix wasn't changed at all. It's possible the band may have re-mastered it so that the volume level was equal to that of The Last Hero as an album, but it doesn't sound brick-walled to me like the rest of the album does.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
gbruin wrote:Did anyone find out if this song was remixed or any parts rerecorded, or is this the original unchanged 2004 version?
Just by listening to it, I'm fairly confident the mix wasn't changed at all. It's possible the band may have re-mastered it so that the volume level was equal to that of The Last Hero as an album, but it doesn't sound brick-walled to me like the rest of the album does.
I think you're right. It was really refreshing to hear that wide open ebb and flow within the song.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

gbruin wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
I think you're right. It was really refreshing to hear that wide open ebb and flow within the song.
I actually just took a look in Audacity, and it's amazing how small the signal is for the intro clean guitar compared to, say, the keyboards in the beginning of Slip to the Void. Then it gradually grows in the soft first stanza of the verse, and when the second stanza kicks in you get punched in the face with musical glory as the signal jumps up at you.

That's the difference between this song, and why Slip to the Void's "impact" moment really falls flat, because the keyboards are already so loud to begin with. People sometimes forget that music isn't just melody, rhythm, and lyrics, but also dynamics.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Breathe has most definitely been brick walled too. Just play it along side any other ODR song and you can clearly tell the difference.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Ok, just opened up Breathe and LOAK in wave form to compare and am actually shocked that Breathe (top) is louder. Both shows just how bad mixing is at the moment. Way too through out.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

The lyric book credits Ben Grosse with recording and mixing Breathe, so I presume there was some post-production work to get it ready for this album that resulted in its massive green waveform. I assume ODR songs look different? I think of Shed My Skin and The End Is Here as songs that should have a really wide range.

Interesting stuff. Thanks, Plotblocker.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

gbruin wrote:The lyric book credits Ben Grosse with recording and mixing Breathe, so I presume there was some post-production work to get it ready for this album that resulted in its massive green waveform. I assume ODR songs look different? I think of Shed My Skin and The End Is Here as songs that should have a really wide range.

Interesting stuff. Thanks, Plotblocker.
Yeah, so I just put the whole ODR album in there, and am seriously shocked to see the whole thing looks like the Breathe wave form. Never really felt that album sounded loud or clipped or anything. In fact I have always loved the mastering on ODR. I will post some pics later

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

Oh where do I begin. Breathe. I really really really really wish this band still sounded like this. Mark's guitar sounds so good. That clean makes the distortion sound rock hard when it comes in. And Myles sounds great of course. The bridge in this song is really awesome too... reminiscent of the great Creed bridges. It does sound familiar for some reason though, I can't place it.

Whoever was responsible for releasing Breathe, thanks. It's a fun trip back in time, kind of like the Creed demos released a while ago.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

chtimixeur wrote: It's down there with Save Me,
I always liked Save Me

"I've been on this isle alone, what's beyond it?" - Save Me

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Vaux wrote:It does sound familiar for some reason though, I can't place it.
There's a chord used in the bridge (around 2:10) that's pretty much identical to one chord used in Burn it Down (around 3:09), and the strumming tempo is almost the same. The key is just different. That could be it.

Side note, totally forgot Burn It Down was just over 6 minutes long. There's a song that needed to be 6 minutes, instead of just being long for the sake of being long (looking at you, This Side of Fate).